Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post

www.honeynz.co.nz/
I've just checked my emails, and I have actually been in contact with them - here's their reply, after I asked if their honey was Raw or not:

Hi

Re RAW honey there is a variety of interpretations depending on what country you are in or school you went to.

HNZ along with most NZ honey companies including Comvita and Medibee will momentarily take the honey to 70 degrees (for about 2 seconds) to elminate any potentially legally suspect elements.

If you are looking for honey that is processed at no more than say 35 degrees we cannot help you.

You should however not believe all the rubbish that only RAW honey is good for you, similarly you should not worry about requiring the honey from NZ to be certified Organic.

Kind regards
Needless to say I wasn't impressed with their reply. They also did a bit of stirring, when I said there were a few companies supplying RAW Manuka such as Steens, he said:

You might want to get that one sugar tested buddy. Also check their HMF levels, bit of a rep for cooking the honey.

Anyway, trust that you now have all the correct information to proceed with your venture.

I actually spoke with Sheryl Steen (owner of Steens) and told her about this, and although she defended her company's position - she never asked me who said this. Which I thought was odd.

It has made me quite suspicious of the industry tbh - it would be nice if Which did a test and investigation into, the strength, and natural enzymes (to see if the honey's are raw or not).

These honeys cost a lot of money, and I think customers have a right to know exactly how it is produced and processed.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Which one of these sounds the best?

[1]
  • New Zealand 100% Organic & Raw
  • 100% raw, enzymatically active honey
  • Regenerative and health enhancing
  • Clinically researched
  • The finest New Zealand organic Active 15+ Manuka Honey
  • Scientifically verified 15+ activity level
[2]
  • Manuka Health New Zealand
  • 100% Pure NZ
  • Product of New Zealand
Given by Nature, Proven by Science
This MGO 550+ Manuka Honey has been tested and is certified to contain at least 550 mg/kg of dietary methylglyoxal, a natural compound found in significant quantities in only some Manuka Honey produced from the wild, uncultivated manuka plant in New Zealand. MGO Manuka Honey is a trademark of Manuka Health New Zealand Ltd.
Number 1 - Raw and 15+ is excellent although you'd want to clarify that it is the rating of the non-peroxide antibacterial property.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I've just checked my emails, and I have actually been in contact with them - here's their reply, after I asked if their honey was Raw or not:

Needless to say I wasn't impressed with their reply. They also did a bit of stirring, when I said there were a few companies supplying RAW Manuka such as Steens, he said:

I actually spoke with Sheryl Steen (owner of Steens) and told her about this, and although she defended her company's position - she never asked me who said this. Which I thought was odd.

It has made me quite suspicious of the industry tbh - it would be nice if Which did a test and investigation into, the strength, and natural enzymes (to see if the honey's are raw or not).

These honeys cost a lot of money, and I think customers have a right to know exactly how it is produced and processed.
That is fascinating, and it does make you wonder doesn't it.

All I can say is that "medical grade" honey HAS to be heated at some point, which of course does not make it better does it, it just is necessary for vets and doctors to be able to use it without comeback etc. I can vouch for the results on Jimmi's paw wounds........but not for the benefits when taken internally.

I will be really interested in your research into this and will follow it avidly! Meanwhile, my pot was so expensive that I will take my spoonful now and again until it is gone!!!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Number 1 - Raw and 15+ is excellent although you'd want to clarify that it is the rating of the non-peroxide antibacterial property.
Number 1 costs $29.89 for 12 oz [340g] - The Syngery Company

Number 2 costs $41.10 for 8.75oz [250g] - Flora, Manuka Health New Zealand

Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
That is fascinating, and it does make you wonder doesn't it.

All I can say is that "medical grade" honey HAS to be heated at some point, which of course does not make it better does it, it just is necessary for vets and doctors to be able to use it without comeback etc. I can vouch for the results on Jimmi's paw wounds........but not for the benefits when taken internally.

I will be really interested in your research into this and will follow it avidly! Meanwhile, my pot was so expensive that I will take my spoonful now and again until it is gone!!!
There is a plus side to heat treating (apart from making it easier for them to process)... that it can actually increase the strength so if it's for external use such as Jimmy's paw, it's probably no problem at all.

I think the RAW honey would be better for those who want to use it for gastric related problems, or specifically want the enzymes.

But the downside to RAW is it costs a lot more. (And even the ones that are RAW may not be perfect, such as using plastic combs in the hives).

Talking of plastic combs, here's one of the replies I had back from Steens:

Our extraction system is different from conventional methods of extracting honey. Because of our systems we are able to extract our honey as soon as it arrives from the field, it is not put into storage and extracted later. As you are aware Manuka is very thixotropic and traditionally manuka frames were put through a pricking system, spun and and put through a heat exchanger. We don't use this system our frames are put into an extractor that Paul designed and the comb is scrapped off the plastic comb mid rib into a vat and crushed, hence loads of pollen that the bees store is included in our honey, commonly called 'bee bread.' (This pollen is different from plant pollen that you see commonly sold in health food stores. It is not nearly as nutritious as it is not so bioavailable to us.) The wax is then separated and the honey put through a fine filter bag to take out any large particles of wax ready for packing. We never process above natural hive temperatures.

As for additives I am unsure what you mean…..we absolutely add nothing to the honey, except the higher than normal levels of pollen and perhaps tiny wax particles. What additives are you concerned with?
At some point I want to try their 20 and 25+ varieties - I have tried their 10+ and 15+ and in terms of taste, it is one of my favourites (and I certainly like that is is RAW - even if they do use plastic combs)
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Number 1 costs $29.89 for 12 oz [340g] - The Syngery Company

Number 2 costs $41.10 for 8.75oz [250g] - Flora, Manuka Health New Zealand

Have you got links to them Malka? I don't recognise those names...
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

06-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Have you got links to them Malka? I don't recognise those names...
The Synergy Company

Flora, Manuka Health New Zealand
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Malka - from what they say, I would choose the first one definitely
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

06-11-2012, 09:52 PM
Malka - from what they say, I would choose the first one definitely
TBH I doubt they would ship it to me although I will put it on my next order and see if they accept the order, but as I would only want it for wounds I would probably get this:

Wound Honey

even though it is only 12+

I get an additional 10% discount on my orders plus free postage which helps the cost, but somehow I cannot see them agreeing to mail a jar of honey.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2012, 09:52 PM
This really is a fascinating topic Azz, and you talking of taste (which is sort of important in it's own way if one wishes to take the stuff on a regular basis) makes me reiterate what I said before.........the stuff that I have is absolutely delicious

Those plastic combs don't seem right do they, it smacks too much of trying to tailor something to suit needs in a commercial sort of way, if you know what I mean. And just how many companies are now jumping on the bandwagon of the sudden popularity of this product?

Keep going Azz!!! We need to know what to buy.

Malka.....that Synergy product looks good!
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >