Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by Carole View Post
I was looking at the Costo offers this month and they have Queen Bee Manuka Honey on offer but it says 12+ Active so thats not strong enough is it?
Hi Carole I was advised to stay above 15+ raw honey.
Carole
Supervisor

05-11-2012, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Carole I was told to stay above 15+ raw honey.
Yeah I thought 15+ was the magic number to watch for
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Heather it supposedly has antibacterial qualities and I understand it has been used for centuries by the indigenous people of Australia and New Zealand.

The first time I heard about it was when my late father had a leg ulcer and it was recommended by someone then but was very difficult to obtain. He managed to get some but not sure where from and it helped.
I was advised to take it by a nurse at the chest clinic.
Hi Mini, did they say why it is good for the chest, I suffer from COPD and asthma and will give anything a go to help the breathing.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

05-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Which strength should I get?

Natural Manuka honey does not get higher than about 15 to 18, possibly 20. The way they increase the activity beyond this is by processing the honey by heating it - however when they do this it kills the natural enzymes in the honey, so although on paper it is 'stronger', it is missing some of the other benefits of eating a raw 'living' food.

That's why you should always buy RAW if you can. However I have spoken to quite a few of the big companies, and although one or two say their honey is Raw, they actually use plastic combs - which some say can lead to toxic accumulation. Ideally you'd want a totally natural product, which is cold filtered, but I haven't seen a single company in the UK selling that.

Are all ratings the same?

Glad you asked that... because, NO! Make sure they specifically say it is a NON-PEROXIDE rating. Some of them say AA (All Activity) which is just not the same. Some also don't say anything - which I would avoid like the plague!
Meg
Supervisor

05-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
Hi Mini, did they say why it is good for the chest, I suffer from COPD and asthma and will give anything a go to help the breathing.
Hi Heather because of the antibacterial qualities.
So sorry to hear about your condition ....
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Thanks Azz.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

05-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Thanks Azz.
You're welcome Linda

I forgot to say, I haven't tried the Sainsburys own brand one yet - I was going to get it today but they didn't have any.

However, many own brands are usually big brand products put in the supermarkets own labelling - and I have a sneaky suspicion Sainsburys is actually the Rowse honey... but I can't say for sure but will recognise the taste if it is (The Rowse is one of my faves - but I do know they heat it)

They all taste different too - I can recognise a Steens Manuka from a Wilkins or Comvita or Rowse
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2012, 11:38 PM
I take it you like Manuka Honey Azz.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

05-11-2012, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
I take it you like Manuka Honey Azz.
It's my latest addiction Heather

My current favourite is an organic wildflower honey (with Royal Jelly) from Littleover Apiaries - it is yum but it's not a manuka honey so purely for pleasure

Have you tried Tea Tree oil massage for your chest? As well as putting it in a candle burner? It is a natural antiseptic and could help.

I would also look at Goldenseal root - which is great for mucus membranes (but don't take for longer than 2 weeks).

I would also move to a 'sensitive' washing detergent - preferably non-perfumed

As well as spray the mattress for dust-mites... or get a waterbed

Also just out of interest, do you have any root-cannal fillings or veneers or other fillings?
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2012, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
You're welcome Linda

I forgot to say, I haven't tried the Sainsburys own brand one yet - I was going to get it today but they didn't have any.

However, many own brands are usually big brand products put in the supermarkets own labelling - and I have a sneaky suspicion Sainsburys is actually the Rowse honey... but I can't say for sure but will recognise the taste if it is (The Rowse is one of my faves - but I do know they heat it)

They all taste different too - I can recognise a Steens Manuka from a Wilkins or Comvita or Rowse
I could send you some but it might not survive the post!
I've never known a honey anorak before!
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »