Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
Dogsey web MD

Seriously though Akitagirl I had symptoms similar to yours, I left it thinking it was a cold. It wasnt it was tonsilitis and a sinus infection and I did need to see a Dr in the end. Not trying to scare you though
Lol this is like googling your symptoms and up comes loads of terryfing stuff!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Oh dear you poor soul, very worrying.

I tend to agree with those who say that there is not a huge amount that you can do, other than relieve the symptoms. All manner of things are good for preventing colds, but once you have one then that tends to be that really.

Decongestants, pain relievers etc.(but don't duplicate the paracetemol!) will all help to make you feel better, but you will still be infectious for some days to come and there is nothing that you can do to change that unfortunately.

What a rotten thing to happen. Go to bed with a strong hot toddy laced with lemon!
toobendy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-06-2012, 10:42 PM
i second hot toddy idea, it'll help you sleep if nothing else & thats what your body needs to help fight off the infection whether its a cold or flu. obviously go to the doctors if you really think you need to but don't just go if you haven't got really worrying symptoms because remember theirs often a lot of elderly people, young children & sick people in waiting rooms who may not have very strong immune systems so a cold or flu which is an inconvenience for you but you will fight it off ok could be really dangerous for them. i hope you're feeling better very soon
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2012, 01:01 PM
I've had 'normal' flu and swine flu (which my 2yr old son caught from me) both were absolutely horrendous, I was barely able to get out of bed...absolutely no way I wouldve been able to read anything let alone look and type at a computer screen...my son was also hospitalised it was that bad.

I'd say quite confidently you have a cold and not the flu! Lol.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
I've had 'normal' flu and swine flu (which my 2yr old son caught from me) both were absolutely horrendous, I was barely able to get out of bed...absolutely no way I wouldve been able to read anything let alone look and type at a computer screen...my son was also hospitalised it was that bad.

I'd say quite confidently you have a cold and not the flu! Lol.
Yep I also contracted the H1N1 strain a few years back - the idea that I wouldn't have noticed I had it is laughable, I couldn't lift my head off the pillow!

Also agree with Toobendy why go to the doctors and spread your germs? Cold or flu unless you are immunocompromised the doctor won't do anything. And if you are vulnerable you should have already had the flu jab
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2012, 01:14 PM
I once got a stinker of a cold the day before a very important interview. Went to the chemist who recommended something for the runny nose, something for the cough and something else for the sore throat. Upshot was, the symptoms were masked for the interview, but the cold lasted long than any cold I had before or since and when the symptoms broke through again they were worse than ever.

I wouldn't do it again no matter how desperate I was to make a reasonable impression. The only good thing that came of it was that I did get the job
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

26-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Some facts about the varying effect. Not sure it's all that funny.

2nd paragraph

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-survive-flu-2443433.html

4th paragraph

http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/s/swine_flu/intro.htm
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2012, 03:01 PM
It's so varying, seems almost impossible to diagnose!

Thanks for your replies everyone.

I am a little bit better today! Still been in bed pretty much all day though, napping Luckily mum came over to look after the baby. Load of cr@p. Hate being ill, makes me so miserable and has completely ruined everything I had booked and planned for this week, i'm going to have to cancel the lot. I'm just as achey, snotty and sore throaty but my head is a lot better although my ears have become very blocked up and my eyes are killing me It's a strange one and it's not going to go in a hurry I don't think
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2012, 03:08 PM
IMPO you've got a nasty cold, nothing you can do other than rest and drink plenty of sugary fluids.

If you suspect it's swine flu please DO NOT go to the Doctors or anywhere containing large amounts of vunerable people as all you'll do is spread the virus to those most at risk of fatality. If you are serioisly concerned try NHS Direct or dial 111. Honestly though, I wouldn't worry too much.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
Some facts about the varying effect. Not sure it's all that funny.

2nd paragraph

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-survive-flu-2443433.html

4th paragraph

http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/s/swine_flu/intro.htm
No, FLU is not a laughing matter, but there is a condition called hypochondria really... Do you go to the dr every time you have a cold in case it is swine flu? People that do are the reason I can never get a drs appointment for a legitimate reason!
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >