Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mummysnoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2012, 10:04 AM

Raw Bones For Dogs

I keep being told to feed my dog raw bones, but which are the right type, I am very confused by this, as the old school's teachings was bones were bad for dogs. Help!
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2012, 10:08 AM
Cooked bones are a definite no no.

As far as raw bones, mine get: chicken wings, lamb ribs, lamb spines and necks, big knuckle bones from the butcher for recreational purposes, and entire rabbit and bird carcasses
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by mummysnoo View Post
I keep being told to feed my dog raw bones, but which are the right type, I am very confused by this, as the old school's teachings was bones were bad for dogs. Help!
Raw bones have never been considered bad for dogs by anyone well-read on what is a healthy diet ... it was and is cooked bones that dogs should not be given.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Raw bones are fine, cooked bones are not. Many people avoid large, weight bearing bones due to the risk of broken teeth though. I personally found the benefits outweighed that risk with my last dog.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Like others have said, cooked bones are a problem but most raw bones aren't.

I feed chicken bones, lamb ribs, lamb bones, duck wings etc.

The bones people tend to advise against is cow leg bones, because they are weight bearing bones of such heavy animals, and there is a risk for some broken teeth. I occasionally give those though, because my dog is a relatively gentle gnawer, and I just keep an eye on him.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-04-2012, 12:16 PM
I have never given Pereg lamb bones as lamb is prohibitively expensive [and fairly rare] but this morning I was given a couple of fresh lamb chops - mostly meat so I am not sure but I think they are chump chops?

Anyhow, if I cut the meat from the bones before cooking, would those bones be OK for Pereg? [I am far to mean to give her a whole chop ]
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Raw bones have never been considered bad for dogs by anyone well-read on what is a healthy diet ... it was and is cooked bones that dogs should not be given.
Back in the 60s I fed raw bones to my dogs & my vet warned that he didn't like bones & if I had had to deal with the number of problems with impacted bowels & splintered bones causing trouble as he had I would never feed them.
Must admit as long as it suits the dogs digestion I still feed breast of lamb.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
Back in the 60s I fed raw bones to my dogs & my vet warned that he didn't like bones & if I had had to deal with the number of problems with impacted bowels & splintered bones causing trouble as he had I would never feed them.
Must admit as long as it suits the dogs digestion I still feed breast of lamb.
Yeah, we were fed that rubbish by a vet we had to visit - not our regular one I hasten to add.

If raw bones caused such devastating problems, dogs would not exist ... seeing as they are the direct descendants of wolves, who of course eat bone! There will of course be occasional accidents - Ben had a bit of stuck bone the other day, and vomited it up in the bedroom, no harm done - but I personally consider the risks are far outweighed by the benefits. I have had dogs for 44 years, and never once have any of them ever had a problem such as you describe. Which doesn't go to say that one day that won't happen, but as I say, the odds are stacked seriously against such an accident.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I spoke to someone once, who mentioned that he fed his dog those roasted bones from the pet shop... I didn't want to be all bossy, so I just said that I don't feed them because of the dangers of cooked bones. He then said, that a few years ago, a vet told him to never feed raw bones, and to only feed them cooked Bit of dangerous advice IMO... I told him my opinion on that advice, to which he said 'well, I would prefer to follow the vet who actually went to university to study it'
mummysnoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2012, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I spoke to someone once, who mentioned that he fed his dog those roasted bones from the pet shop... I didn't want to be all bossy, so I just said that I don't feed them because of the dangers of cooked bones. He then said, that a few years ago, a vet told him to never feed raw bones, and to only feed them cooked Bit of dangerous advice IMO... I told him my opinion on that advice, to which he said 'well, I would prefer to follow the vet who actually went to university to study it'
Gosh that really put you in your place, there's no pleasing some people.

My Vet warns against all bones, as they can do damage, as modern dogs don't have the ability to digest bones they way wild dogs do. He suggests those nylon bones to which my dog looks at me and says, "are you serious"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >