Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Oh dear.

Makes me glad I disowned my mother. One of the best things I ever did, too.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 06:33 PM
I really hope your Mum will be pleased for you when you tell her about the wedding and I am keeping my fingers crossed that she will think about you and your feelings. xxx
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 06:46 PM
How weird was only thinking about you/this post earlier Hope she sees sense and is happy for you xx
Aligord
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2011, 03:36 PM
How did your mum take it? Has she seen the new venue? Maybe she was thinking that Gretna might be a bit tacky or something whereas this place you have chosen looks *fantastic*.

What ever happens it is your day and I really hope you enjoy it!

Your mum will eventually realise that her attitude is only causing a problem. My mum didn't really want me to move 400 miles away to live with my (now) hubby. Her friends asked why she wasn't trying to persuade me not to go or stopping me. She said I was old enough to make the decision for myself and that if she tried to stop me I'd just do it anyway and she'd lose me and what was the point in that? It was the most sense my mum ever spoke!

I hope that your mum and dad have come round and that things are less strained. If not, I hope you are enjoying the rest of the planning.

Ali x
lilyben
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-04-2011, 04:19 PM
its your life you always live it the way you want,no one not even your mother shouldt dictate ,thats why its called un conditional love,i have 5 kids who i love dearly and i always tell them this,yes there are things i dontlike that they do but then again theres things i do they dont like,you stick to your descision ,your wedding ,your big day enjoy it,karen
mcv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Ive not read any responses from anyone else as yet so i appologise if i am repeating things or may be going against the grain.

I suppose your mum wants a big fancy wedding because she is proud of you and yes wants to show off...when your heart bursts with pride you want all to know.

As far as your dads conserned i know my dad would probably say the same but i know he would be deeply upset at not being able to give his daughter away.

I can see this from both sides to be honest, as the daughter having gotten married and being a mother whos children may get married in the future.

If your dads been poorly he may not of been looking forward to the speaches etc and finding the thought of it stressfull so at that probably is releived.

Is there a compramise?? getting married in traveling distance and may be just having your parents and your OH parents there? then having a 'do' on the origional date?

Ive got a good relationship with my parents and in truth i would try and find a compramise cos i wouldnt like to upset or fall out with them.
But on the other hand your mum will have to compramise in that situation too, at the end of the day it is your life and your wedding.
I dont suppose thats helped any sorry
Page 11 of 11 « First < 8 9 10 11