Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 11:51 AM
WE have an appointment with the child Psychologist on Tuesday 15th Feb

Also we have had a visit from the parent liason officer at our school....she was really very very helpful. She has given us loads of tips to help cope. Explained more about the condition and how it will affect him and us. She is going to school to TELL them what she wants them to put into action for him, ie he will have a visual timetable from now on so he always knows whats happeniong and when. Also if the teacher thinks they are discussing something that might worry him she from now on has to mention it to us. Hopefully these will be actioned and I will be checking in a week to see if they are.....

I had a cry to myself the other day as his anxieties are very heightened right now, we have had upsets over Scorpions, poisonous dust, floods, the list is endless. Its all from kids saying stuff to him. Hopefully he now believes me over them

I also wonder if I have made him this way, you know when they are young and they do things ie touching plugs, fires etc etc and you say hot or dangerous. I wonder did I do it too much? have I scared him half to death and thats why is like this ....? I hope not but its now playing on my mind.....

sorry to moan xx
borderladysue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by melsgems View Post
WE have an appointment with the child Psychologist on Tuesday 15th Feb
Also we have had a visit from the parent liason officer at our school....she was really very very helpful. She has given us loads of tips to help cope. Explained more about the condition and how it will affect him and us. She is going to school to TELL them what she wants them to put into action for him, ie he will have a visual timetable from now on so he always knows whats happeniong and when. Also if the teacher thinks they are discussing something that might worry him she from now on has to mention it to us. Hopefully these will be actioned and I will be checking in a week to see if they are.....

I had a cry to myself the other day as his anxieties are very heightened right now, we have had upsets over Scorpions, poisonous dust, floods, the list is endless. Its all from kids saying stuff to him. Hopefully he now believes me over them
I also wonder if I have made him this way, you know when they are young and they do things ie touching plugs, fires etc etc and you say hot or dangerous. I wonder did I do it too much? have I scared him half to death and thats why is like this ....? I hope not but its now playing on my mind.....
sorry to moan xx
That is brilliant news, one more step in the right direction, i am so pleased for you both.
Thats it keep on top of it/them, hound if you have to, at least you have the full backing of the PLO now
All you can do is reasure him, yes there are floods but there not here so he has no need to worry, (easier said than done)
You have done no more harm to your boy than any other parent, you have to remember where other kids can shrug things off its harder for your son because he is far more sensitive, so get that idea out of your head right now and moan as much as you like, just stay positive, things are moving now, for the better

sue
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-02-2011, 04:21 PM
So pleased to hear things are moving along now for you and William and at such a quick pace.

Just been reading it out to Gorden he said blimey thats quick and do not worry about feeling you have made him this way you haven't.

I use to say the same things to my boys when they growing up.
cliffy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-02-2011, 03:53 PM
great news!
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by seren1981 View Post
I am not sure if I can be of any use but I was diagnosed with aspergers just over a year ago (I am 29 now) after being passed round the mental health services for the past 12 years! I was a bit similar to your son, but while I was at school, they did not recognise anything like that - I was just 'naughty' or 'attention seeking' It was a bit difficult as I am quite intelligent, but had no idea what was going on for a lot of the time, the teachers though I was being difficult on purpose.

The most important things to me are having a good routine and not having people stop me from doing thing I need to do - I used to get told off for rocking so things would build up and I would end up banging my head. My senses (and most people on the spectrum) also get overloaded easily, for example, today on the bus a girl was eating crisps really noisily (I could hear her through my ear plugs) and they had a strong smell so I had to get off, I got angry with her and then myself.

I am not sure if you are interested, but feel free to ask any questions if you want.
Originally Posted by cliffy View Post
p.s. just seen your thing about physical dexterity. My son also had trouble holding a pen, playing football- again, to do with the eye-brain-body thing going on. Often with dyslexia - I think it's called dysphasia.
He was able to join a group to help his physical coordination- using scissors etc. He used to complain a lot about it hurting his hand to hold a pen.
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Has anyone ever mentioned dyspraxia to you?
http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/services/dys_dyspraxia.php
I can't say having not met your son, but it may be worth also mentioning to the people in school or the GP if you look at the site and think it's a possible?
Picking up on all these comments. I am nearly 37 years old and was diagnosed with Dyspraxia a year ago and Aspergers about 2 months ago.

It has made a huge impact on my life as until the diagnosis I have always struggled to understand why I was like I am and thought it must be because I am bad and stupid

Nowadays there is sooo much support for mental health issues and doctors and much quicker on picking up things now, I didn't sit unaided until I was a year old yet back then no one thought anything of it but now it would set alarm bells off!

Looking back my parents can now see that all the childhood problems I had were because of these problems and they feel guilty for not knowing there was something wrong with me

I hope your son gets the help he needs and deserves and (((hugs))) to you.
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Picking up on all these comments. I am nearly 37 years old and was diagnosed with Dyspraxia a year ago and Aspergers about 2 months ago.

It has made a huge impact on my life as until the diagnosis I have always struggled to understand why I was like I am and thought it must be because I am bad and stupid

Nowadays there is sooo much support for mental health issues and doctors and much quicker on picking up things now, I didn't sit unaided until I was a year old yet back then no one thought anything of it but now it would set alarm bells off!

Looking back my parents can now see that all the childhood problems I had were because of these problems and they feel guilty for not knowing there was something wrong with me

I hope your son gets the help he needs and deserves and (((hugs))) to you.
Thankyou, so sorry you have had to struggle to get to this stage. I will do my best to get him what support he needs. What have you introduced into your life since being diagnosed? (if you dont mind me asking PM if you feel happier)

Mel x
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 02:42 PM
today we went to see the child psyc

She was lovely

William was very anxious and nervous, he was also worried last night about it.

She asked what our concerns were, we mentioned the anxiety, worrying, memory, dexterity probs and everything else. She spoke to William who was really very cooperative lol

He would NOT give her eye contact (which is typical for him when stressed or around strangers) She asked to be left alone with him and for me and Ash to leave the room, so she could see how his anxiety would react. He was not happy and did all the usuall things I told her about when he is anxious (so backed me up). She picked up on the lack of eye contact and made a note of that too

She asked why he was anxious and he said because he was alone in a room with a stranger and he had been told he should never talk to strangers!! bless him talk about taking things literally .... she explained that this was totally true that he shouldn't but that she wasn't a complete stranger and mummy and daddy had met her and allowed it, so it was safe to do so....

he talked about monsters and things with her but got too anxious and she called us back

We mentioned aspergers to her, judging by her response I think she agrees but obviously tests have to be done.

So, she is getting an occupational therapist to help, he is going to have cognitive behavioural therapy, he will be assessed in class (poss not till April though), me and Ash have to go back in 2 weeks to do a detailed developmental report on him(no idea what that involves )

WE have discussed our thoughts and gone through lots of examples of his behaviour, poor lad. So now we wait for the next lot of visits and updates.

So things are moving in the right direction, help will be in place for anxiety soon and the dexterity and we need to wait for a diagnosis if there is one

I have had no more wobbles but we have had a few anxiety attacks but I has sorted them out for him.....I hope well as much as he allows us to as judging by what he said today they are still in his mind.

He was a brave boy and told the Dr all about his worries and where he gets them from, I got the feeling she knows exactly whats wrong but just needs to do the testing

However school has not yet made their phone calls the said they would do and not actioned the PLO's points so I shall be contacting my PLO to sort and update..

Thanks for reading xx
borderladysue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Brill news so far, give William a massive pat on the back for being a great little soldier.

sue x
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by borderladysue View Post
Brill news so far, give William a massive pat on the back for being a great little soldier.

sue x
I will do thanks, he has had a pack of sweets for being good, which he was extrememly pleased about lol x
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Great news that things are moving forward but keep on the Head's case at the school otherwise they can be slow in sorting. I have a feeling that help for your son will come out of their budget so they can drag their feet sometimes. This certainly happened with my friends and their son but it was all sorted in the end with a one on one supporter in class. Best of luck
Page 6 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »