View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cliffy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-01-2011, 02:02 PM
great to push it but it would still worry me that the head, who is probably not an expert on dyslexia/aspbergers, is pushing towards pidgeonholing him as asbergers because he doesnt have the full picture od dyslexia.

You want the specific tests done by people expert in this educational field.
My sons diagnosis was at about the same age and he then got the right help within the school once a week which made a huge difference.

Sitting at the front of the class was important too, so he was in a position to focus and not get so easily distracted.
Above all, the essential thing is for the child to develop confidence in himself. Your son may feel different but he is not-there are something like five to ten percent of children in every class room experiencing some similar level of difficulty.
Good luck, I feel for you and know what a worrying time it is when you want to do the best for your child but don't want to worry him.
cliffy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-01-2011, 02:03 PM
yes dyspraxia, not dysphasia - what Ramble said.
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Has anyone ever mentioned dyspraxia to you?
http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.u..._dyspraxia.php
I can't say having not met your son, but it may be worth also mentioning to the people in school or the GP if you look at the site and think it's a possible?
The first teacher who thought William was Dyslexic said for his level of intelligence he has that he for some reason struggled to copy from the whiteboard, Dyspraxia also fits a lot of what William does. Thanks for that, hopefully those in the profession will now guide me to a correct diagnosis of whatever it is. Its a mine field isn't it? I have a list of my concerns and "symptoms" so we will take it from there. Thanks for the link x
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by cliffy View Post
great to push it but it would still worry me that the head, who is probably not an expert on dyslexia/aspbergers, is pushing towards pidgeonholing him as asbergers because he doesnt have the full picture od dyslexia.

You want the specific tests done by people expert in this educational field.
My sons diagnosis was at about the same age and he then got the right help within the school once a week which made a huge difference.

Sitting at the front of the class was important too, so he was in a position to focus and not get so easily distracted.
Above all, the essential thing is for the child to develop confidence in himself. Your son may feel different but he is not-there are something like five to ten percent of children in every class room experiencing some similar level of difficulty.
Good luck, I feel for you and know what a worrying time it is when you want to do the best for your child but don't want to worry him.
to be fair its a friend of mine who suggested Aspergers, the head basically agrees that there is "something" there but is not sure what it is. His current teacher has also said the same thing
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Hi Mel,
can't add to what the others have said & add push, push, push for assessment & support at school, because no matter what resources they don't have, your son is entitled to support & if you shout the loudest, you will get it! Sadly through experience that is how it works!
It may be an idea to keep a diary of the kind of things your son does & his behaviour in certain situations & take your notes to meeting with education psychologist/clinical psychologist etc.. They will come in handy!

It's not all doom & gloom, once you know what you have to deal with & get the support you need, your son can thrive on his abilities
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
Hi Mel,
can't add to what the others have said & add push, push, push for assessment & support at school, because no matter what resources they don't have, your son is entitled to support & if you shout the loudest, you will get it! Sadly through experience that is how it works!
It may be an idea to keep a diary of the kind of things your son does & his behaviour in certain situations & take your notes to meeting with education psychologist/clinical psychologist etc.. They will come in handy!

It's not all doom & gloom, once you know what you have to deal with & get the support you need, your son can thrive on his abilities
thanks, I shall push with all my might

William has lots of abillities that we can really work with xx
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 09:10 PM
This place should help you

http://www.inpp.org.uk/
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 10:02 PM
My hubby's son had Aspergers. From what you are describing, it sounds like you are describing him!
The others are right..push for assessment. It is his right. Graham had terrible trouble getting Matthew diagnosed and it's only because he's so stubborn that they got their fingers out and assessed him.
The school should have an educational psychologist attached to them so he needs to be assessed by them and then they should provide a statement of education specifying the eductional needs of your son and then they have to abide by them otherwise they are failing in their duty of care to the child.
It took Graham a long time to fight for this but things are better now.
The way he told Matt was that he was really special and because he was special there were people who were really interested in him. It seemed to help.
Good luck with everything hun xx
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
My hubby's son had Aspergers. From what you are describing, it sounds like you are describing him!
The others are right..push for assessment. It is his right. Graham had terrible trouble getting Matthew diagnosed and it's only because he's so stubborn that they got their fingers out and assessed him.
The school should have an educational psychologist attached to them so he needs to be assessed by them and then they should provide a statement of education specifying the eductional needs of your son and then they have to abide by them otherwise they are failing in their duty of care to the child.
It took Graham a long time to fight for this but things are better now.
The way he told Matt was that he was really special and because he was special there were people who were really interested in him. It seemed to help.
Good luck with everything hun xx
thank you for this, it seems a shame that you have to push so hard to get help for children. I will do what I need to do, the school head told me as he is not priority and that they only have so many allocated hours with the Ed Psych that he prob wouldn't get seen but that was over a year ago and things have progressed in him since then.....even she has noticed so now I am going to the Drs hoping it will give me better pushing power

xx
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by melsgems View Post
A while back our sons teacher told us she thought he was dyslexic but as the years have progressed we are realising there is more to it than that. He shows classic signs of aspergers syndrome.

His headteacher agrees it is a possible conclusion.

I have an appointment to see the doctor on Friday, but what happens after that?

whats the procedure for diagnosis?

I have read up on it but not much is said on the families experiences.

He has no idea he might have a problem but he knows something is different about him. He a very poor short term memory but long term is amazing. He is ahead of where he should be for reading and about right for all other subjects. He is 8 years old, can't use a knife and fork at all, holds pens oddly. He is obsessive over things and spends hours worrying over things

Any experiences on here?
Hi, my son is autistic so I have a decent idea of how the system works...
You have a drs appointment, i think the best thing would be to go alone and talk to the dr about your concerns. Ask for a referral to a paediatrician (dr should refer you to the correct one at a child development centre or similar)
I would also contact the special educational needs department of your council and ask (insist) that your son needs to be assessed by the relevant people.

In the long term, if your son does get a diagnosis of aspergers, you again need to contact your local education authority and request a statement of special educational needs is undertaken which basically means your son will be entitled to extra provisions/help in the education system.

It can be quite overwhelming- all the appointments and assessments with the feeling of getting nowhere, but it is worth it in the end.
I fought from when my son was 9 months old- nobody believed me that there was 'something not quite right' with his behaviours etc, it took until he was just over 3 years to get his diagnosis of autism. He is now nearly 4 and we have just submitted his request for a statement of special ed needs.
It shouldnt take this long for you and your son as he is older.

Good luck and keep us posted and if you need anything feel free to PM me.
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »