Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
borderladysue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by melsgems View Post
thankyou, William has tendancies for day dreaming at school as he gets lost with all the information being bombarded at him I think. He is very sensitive to sounds and smell and doesn't realise that saying "pooo that lady smells" is not the done thing lol . He is also senstive to heat, hates hot rooms, hot weather, hot baths/showers etc. Also touch senstive he cant touch many things as it goes through him. I thought he was being awkward but seems maybe not now

William is not struggling with his work and reading and Maths he is ahead, writing and spelling are a bit on the low side but nothing to concern the school just now. Thankyou so much for your reply it means a lot x
Hi there have been reading your thread and would like you to pass on big hugs from me to, bless him, my friends son was diagnosed with aspergers when he was 9yrs old, she had a real job getting this but with a lot of us telling her to keep on at the school it was finally done, so glad to hear you are a pushy one!
Her son also would come out with things that she thought not appropriate at the time but to him it was and could not understand why it wasn't so what she did was devised a "secret sign" with him they decided between them that when, say, some one near had a horrible smell instead of saying it he would touch his nose with his finger and put his thumb down (other hand) that was their secret sign for that one, they had loads in the end, that way he did not get frustrated and angry having to hold it in and it was a very exciting game for him. i don't know if it will help but i hope you get it sorted, good luck to you and William. will keep looking for updates.
sue x
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by borderladysue View Post
Hi there have been reading your thread and would like you to pass on big hugs from me to, bless him, my friends son was diagnosed with aspergers when he was 9yrs old, she had a real job getting this but with a lot of us telling her to keep on at the school it was finally done, so glad to hear you are a pushy one!
Her son also would come out with things that she thought not appropriate at the time but to him it was and could not understand why it wasn't so what she did was devised a "secret sign" with him they decided between them that when, say, some one near had a horrible smell instead of saying it he would touch his nose with his finger and put his thumb down (other hand) that was their secret sign for that one, they had loads in the end, that way he did not get frustrated and angry having to hold it in and it was a very exciting game for him. i don't know if it will help but i hope you get it sorted, good luck to you and William. will keep looking for updates.
sue x
I like the idea of the secret signs!! Yes a few times he has asked quite loudly why is that man so fat or something equally inappropriate. He asks me often if I am having another baby lol

I will def keep the thread updated, thanks for your post x
cliffy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-01-2011, 12:59 PM
hi, I don't know if this helps but my son is dyslexic - diagnosed a few years ago by the Bloomfield Institute in London- and his dyselxia is characterised by poor short term memory, lack of concentration and a tendency to day dream. His reading is good- now that he has got confidence- and he does not have the stereotypical reversal of letters thing with writing, but spelling is poor.
He has help once a week at school but also outside of school he sees an experienced dyslexic support person- she has emphasised to us that the memory and day dreaming is a very typical feature of dyslexia but not common knowledge.
Good luck!
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by cliffy View Post
hi, I don't know if this helps but my son is dyslexic - diagnosed a few years ago by the Bloomfield Institute in London- and his dyselxia is characterised by poor short term memory, lack of concentration and a tendency to day dream. His reading is good- now that he has got confidence- and he does not have the stereotypical reversal of letters thing with writing, but spelling is poor.
He has help once a week at school but also outside of school he sees an experienced dyslexic support person- she has emphasised to us that the memory and day dreaming is a very typical feature of dyslexia but not common knowledge.
Good luck!
To add he usually does well in spelling as he memorises the spelling list lol but ask him out of sequence he struggles. He once got 0/10 on a times table test as it was verbal and he couldn't remember the question. So I had to go in and ask for written tests. The next test he got 10/10. I knew there would be a reason for 0/10 as he was always right at home

oooh I didn't know that about the day dreaming etc, I believe that people with aspergers can quite often have dyslexia too. He does reverse letters sometimes but not too bad, his reading is good he manages new words and large words well, what I find is he has probs with sounds that have more than one way of saying them eg ea, oo, gh, he usually gets the wrong sound poor lad, then gets frustrated.

I shall mention the memory and day dreaming to his teacher as another possible sign he is also dyslexic.

Thanks so much for your post x
cliffy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Melsgems, did he have a diagnosis of dyslexia from the school or outside the school from a dyslexia expert?

You don't need to get him statemented to get support - in fact some people think getting a mild difficulty statemented makes it harder to get into secondary school of your choice (sorry, don't know your son's age)as statemented places are only so many per school and that has to be your entrance criteria.

But having a proper diagnosis (but not necessarily statement) means your son will be entitled to extra time at GCSE and other exams and perhaps electronic help-keyboard- for writing school work. My son learnt to type on a typing computer programme which would make life easier- but he is also exceptionally lazy and tends not to do that- another part of the dyslexia spectrum.

It's very hard for us to know which bits are him not trying and which bits are him not being able. He too would not be able to repeat a good spelling test given orally and doesnt seem to be able to join up things he has just learnt with those things being tested!

His primary school suspected he was dyslexic and could test it according to their criterion, but did not recognise the other aspects as it's not the common idea of dyslexia.
You can get these tests done free (but there's prob a wait), and the school should apply for you.
If you can't wait you can pay privately but it can cost a couple of hundred quid!
cliffy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-01-2011, 01:21 PM
sorry- it's the Bloomfield Learning Centre in Southwark, London. Maybe they could link you up with advice in your neck of the woods.
cliffy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-01-2011, 01:25 PM
p.s. just seen your thing about physical dexterity. My son also had trouble holding a pen, playing football- again, to do with the eye-brain-body thing going on. Often with dyslexia - I think it's called dysphasia.
He was able to join a group to help his physical coordination- using scissors etc. He used to complain a lot about it hurting his hand to hold a pen.
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 01:26 PM
Melsgems, did he have a diagnosis of dyslexia from the school or outside the school from a dyslexia expert?

You don't need to get him statemented to get support - in fact some people think getting a mild difficulty statemented makes it harder to get into secondary school of your choice (sorry, don't know your son's age)as statemented places are only so many per school and that has to be your entrance criteria.

But having a proper diagnosis (but not necessarily statement) means your son will be entitled to extra time at GCSE and other exams and perhaps electronic help-keyboard- for writing school work. My son learnt to type on a typing computer programme which would make life easier- but he is also exceptionally lazy and tends not to do that- another part of the dyslexia spectrum.

It's very hard for us to know which bits are him not trying and which bits are him not being able. He too would not be able to repeat a good spelling test given orally and doesnt seem to be able to join up things he has just learnt with those things being tested!

His primary school suspected he was dyslexic and could test it according to their criterion, but did not recognise the other aspects as it's not the common idea of dyslexia.
You can get these tests done free (but there's prob a wait), and the school should apply for you.
If you can't wait you can pay privately but it can cost a couple of hundred quid!
He has not yet had a definate diagnosis of dyslexia, we had an educational Psycholgist assess him but she only picked up on the poor short term memory. He was to be assessed again over a year ago but as he was not classed as high priority this was not done....wished I had known at the time. So I am pushing now for another assessment along with the aspergers. His teachers think he is dyslexic and the head has hinted that she thinks we are on the right lines with the aspergers. She has some people we can speak to if the Drs isn't working.

William is 8 now
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 01:48 PM
p.s. just seen your thing about physical dexterity. My son also had trouble holding a pen, playing football- again, to do with the eye-brain-body thing going on. Often with dyslexia - I think it's called dysphasia.
He was able to join a group to help his physical coordination- using scissors etc. He used to complain a lot about it hurting his hand to hold a pen.
yes William says that his hand hurts I just thought he was trying to get out of homework . He does hold the pencil really awkward. He runs odd to like stamps flat footed but has good speed . He cant throw for toffee lol, he usually goes sidewards usually gets me!!! Catching he is not too bad at. He used to do Karate....loved it but struggled to balance on one foot and could never remember the moves so did his own thing
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Has anyone ever mentioned dyspraxia to you?
http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.u..._dyspraxia.php
I can't say having not met your son, but it may be worth also mentioning to the people in school or the GP if you look at the site and think it's a possible?
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »