View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 01:31 PM
If it were my dog, he would of been PTS by now, sorry, too dangerous to trust.
kitty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Dobermonkey - I just called dobermann rehoming assoc but she cannot help, she said even if we were in her area they are just so full at the moment.
She did give the same advice as I've had though - to keep him and the kids seperate and to get him checked out at the vet for any underlying problem.
So I think I'll phone the vet and see what they say.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by kitty View Post
Thank you, I don't want to have him put down, he is a good dog, he maybe just isn't suitable for a family with young children. I did think about the dobermann rehomming association but they are so far from me, I think I'll phone them though, they may know of somewhere nearer to me.
Thank you.
Personally and I know my opinion is not going to be popular, but unless you can guarantee this does not happen again and or it was caused by any health issues with the dog.. then I would be inclined to have him PTS.... this is only my opinion and the reason being is because there is no way in hell I woudl pass on a human aggressive dog, I would much rather take responsibility for that dog (as it was mine) and make sure the dog was safe (pts) rather than him getting into the cycle of rehoming centres, he has already had how many homes, yours your friends the dogs home, and how many before.

You have to put your child first, and to me that wasn't a simply "nip" you said he held your child down and tried to lunge at him when you got him off...

Sometimes as much as it disturbs us, we have to take responsibility , and placing him back in rescue or re homing to a child free home, even them you cant guarantee he will not come into contact with children... then the option for me would be ... to look to the dogs and any one's else's safety...I am a firm believer in having a dog PTS is not the worse thing that can happen to them.. living a life of continual homes /rescues is far worse ..

What ever you do , I woudl make sure for now he goes nowhere near your 3 yr old... and unless you can guarantee that does not happen you have no choice , but to do 1 of 2 things... move him on, or have him PTS!!
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Have to agree with Dawn...
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I agree !!!!!!! my dog , my responsibility
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 01:39 PM
For your peace of mind I would get a muzzle for him for the time being until you can sort out what will happen to him.

Not being nosey but what circumstances was he living in with your friend?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 01:41 PM
What a horrid situation to be in If I were you I would have your dog checked by a vet to make sure he is not in any pain, but would probably be looking at keeping them completely separate unless you are there, or else rehome your dog.

Did your dog bark at all? Or just nip? I am asking because my 2 year old son was in the garden with my dogs (and me keeping an eye on them) recently. Ben (my son) stood right next to my usually big, soppy collie dog, Moss, and started hugging him. He clearly wasn't hurting the dog, but Moss is a bit of a goof, and I think a fly or bee buzzed by and he barked and jumped up at it. Poor Ben was in the way and he ended up with two marks on his face where Moss's teeth had come into contact with his face I was really upset initially, but have kept a close eye on them since and never leave them in the garden anymore, even with me watching them. Now I knew that Moss didn't mean it, and so can forgive him. However, if you are right, and your dog wanted to go back to your son and bite again, then I really think you do need to consider the rehoming option.

So sorry.

Here are some Doberman breed rescue details.

http://www.dobermannwelfare.org.uk/

http://www.dobermannrehome.co.uk/

http://www.dobermannsinneed.co.uk/

Definitely contact each and every one, and see what their advice is. I am sure they will be able to help in one way or another.

Please let us know how you get on.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Personally, I wouldn't have your dog put down until you have spoken to the Doberman breed rescue organisations. Please be completely honest with them and see whether they can help.
kitty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Personally and I know my opinion is not going to be popular, but unless you can guarantee this does not happen again and or it was caused by any health issues with the dog.. then I would be inclined to have him PTS.... this is only my opinion and the reason being is because there is no way in hell I woudl pass on a human aggressive dog, I would much rather take responsibility for that dog (as it was mine) and make sure the dog was safe (pts) rather than him getting into the cycle of rehoming centres, he has already had how many homes, yours your friends the dogs home, and how many before.

You have to put your child first, and to me that wasn't a simply "nip" you said he held your child down and tried to lunge at him when you got him off...

Sometimes as much as it disturbs us, we have to take responsibility , and placing him back in rescue or re homing to a child free home, even them you cant guarantee he will not come into contact with children... then the option for me would be ... to look to the dogs and any one's else's safety...I am a firm believer in having a dog PTS is not the worse thing that can happen to them.. living a life of continual homes /rescues is far worse ..

What ever you do , I woudl make sure for now he goes nowhere near your 3 yr old... and unless you can guarantee that does not happen you have no choice , but to do 1 of 2 things... move him on, or have him PTS!!
I know, I would feel just as bad I think passing him on back to a rescue centre as having him PTS, In just the last 12 months since coming from the RSPCA he has had 3 homes, it would be awful to send him back to maybe have to wait ages for another home, and I can in no way whatsoever guarentee this won't happen again to another child. Although this is the first time he has done this that I know of we don't even know if this was the first reason he ended up in rescue, the RSPCA found him as a stray.
He is still outside now, and when I go to look through the window at him, he's wagging his tale like he's pleased to see me and I just feel so awful that I would consider taking his life away, it just feels so terrible, but if I can't rehome him somewhere safe I have no option I suppose.
I can't put my children at risk anymore.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 01:47 PM
I think you have done the responsible thing up to now and if no one can take him for rehoming then you have to have him pts. It is a rotten thing to happen for you and your son.

You have been landed with someone elses mess and it is not a nice thing for you to have to do. However it is the best thing in the long run for the dog. If he has bitten no rescue will want to take him, however careful new owners found privately might be he could bite again and you cannot keep him.

I would ring your vets and collect a lot of sedatives, buy some pepperami sticks and ask the vet to come to you to pts. While it is happening feed him the sticks. If the vet won't do that chjange to one who will. You don't want loads oif stress for the dog or you and taking him in could be bad.

Don't let this put you off having another dog when you feel the time is right. You have been very unlucky.

Thoughts to you, your son and the dog.

rune
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 47 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »