Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

08-12-2009, 01:45 AM
Originally Posted by weestumpy View Post
In England the police who are putting someone through the court system to go on the exemption registar let the dog stay at home and only take into there care on the morning of the case.
That option exists but is rarely offered.

This year the Met declared that they would apply the 'leave at home' policy to 10% of cases. In actuality they have (so far) offered it in only about 1.5% of cases. The Met kennel bill will top £1.3 million. It'll probably top £1.6 million.

West Mids police are currently looking at a £150,000 projected kennel bill for seized dogs for the year. Of course, most of these dogs have commited no offence at all other than to look 'wrong'.

I am sure its costing the legal aid system a mint
It'll cost even more if it goes to the Lords (which is on the cards). All this money for a law that doesn't work.

Competency testing - it's the only answer and, at this rate, it'd be cheaper too.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

08-12-2009, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
England has the lowest ratio of strays to population & N.I.& Eire have the highest & third highest.
Now although we're getting closer to the truth, the ratio we really need is the number of strays vs. the number of animals who's whereabouts are known or vs. number of dog owning population, not just general population.

But as you say, it just goes to show you can make plausible statistics say anything you like. I suspect the truth is somewhere between the figures we've seen so far & that it does show that dog licences are just another form of stealth tax.
weim1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-12-2009, 10:51 AM
what was a four year old doing in the garden after midnight
Page 53 of 53 « First < 3 43 50 51 52 53