Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Im not sure its due to him being used at stud, I tend to find my stud dogs less likely to do this, if that makes sense?

I will stick my thinking cap on,

do you think its a dominance thing?
Thanks, I was just wondering because he seems to know what he's aiming for, he never does the head or the side, but then neither does Charlie and he has never had his way either. I think it probably is a dominance thing but I don't think he's totally sure about why he is doing it if that makes sense, he seems a bit unsure or other dogs so goes for the reassuring hump. I wish I could bring him up to your lot, he just needs to meet a wider variety of dogs but not so many people are willing...

Originally Posted by TBBS View Post
My Bertie humps other dogs too, never people or inanimate objects. He was castrated when he was about 14 months old and is now nearly 11 years old, it didn't seem to make any difference, if anything he's got worse the last couple of years. It seems to be certain dogs he picks on more than others, I think it's a dominance thing with him.
My Charlie never ever humped when he was entire and after he was done he started, so castration would be an absolute last resort, my view is it's better to sort his head out than just wallop off his plums and hope for a quick fix!

Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Frankie would like to be a humper. Castration made no difference whatsoever to it either. He's a sneaky recreational humper though, he tries to sneak aboard while the others are busy with something else. It's not something I have ever allowed, he is told to stop the instant I spot what's going on. He only stops because he's told, constantly and repeatedly at first, now he stops the instant he's told to. So I would start in the home and intervene whenever he starts to hump star. Like any behaviour they learn it's unacceptable if they are stopped from doing it each and every time they attempt it.
That is my Charlie, he does the sneaky hump but he will get down as soon as you say, if you see him going to do it and tell him then he listens, Bear is not so much with the listening! We can more easily control him with my dogs and dogs he is used to but when it's a totally new dog he's on an absolute mission with it and has to be physically removed a lot of the time.

With Star its difficult as they like to play together and he will do it in play too as all mine will to each other, even the girls, so where do you draw the line?

Originally Posted by maxine View Post
I have inherited 2 different neutered male rescues that have done this. One of them completely ignored me when I told him to stop doing it at home. When I intervened and pulled him off he growled at me and when I persisted tried to bite my hand. In all other respects he was a lovely dog with no significant issues. The next time he decided to hump I squirted him with a plant mister set on squirt with a firm "No".

After being squirted on 2 separate occasions at home he responded to "No" alone, and then after a couple of weeks of "No" stopped doing it altogether. "No" also worked when he (occasionally) tried to hump other dogs when we were out .

One of my current rescues was a humper when we got him but responded quite quickly to "No" and was never aggressive with it. He was never introduced to the plant mister. I realise I may get a pounding now but it was a quick, effective and humane method of dealing with a potentially serious problem, that avoided me getting bitten.
Do you know that is genius and I am kicking myself now as I really should have thought of that by now, it's so funny that when it's someone else asking advice I seem to have lots of ideas to try but when it's one of my own I draw a blank, I will give it a try and let you know, his temp is fine, he's not aggressive with it at all he just goes into his own wee world of lust and can't hear a word you say apparently!

Originally Posted by spot View Post
Does he do it to dogs on leads or only off lead dogs?

Must admit if he tried it with a couple mine he wouldn’t need to see a vet to castrate him , where as with one of them he might get a bit of a shock when he gets the same treatment back. Maybe thats what he needs?
He will do it to any dog, on or off, when he is onlead or off too, makes no difference, although he will walk nicely with any of mine as he is focusing on the walk but if standing still he will go for the hump.

My Charlie will give him a good telling off and so will Maddy, now he will react differently to a bitch than to a dog. When Maddy tells him off he just blanks her and carries on humping, she will turn and snap and he just ignores her and carries on. At first we tried to let him get on with it thinking he would do this and get it all out of the way but 9 months later he's still doing it. With Charlie though he will carry on for a while, and when Charlie startes to bark and snap at him he will bark back but more out of frustration I think than anything else, he hardly ever barks at all, all kinds of snorts and gruffs and grumbles yes but not barking!

So now with Charlie and Maddy we have to try not to let him hump them at all and he is pretty good with them when out on a walk and can be controlled fairly easily with it but in the house and with new dogs he's a menace with it.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks, I was just wondering because he seems to know what he's aiming for, he never does the head or the side,
lol hes learned that end has teeth most likely,

as someone said I would start with nipping it in the bud with star if he does it more often with her,
use the same command each time, so he knows that its a no no,
I would be very matter of fact with him,
tbh humping is not a problem I see much of,

I really have got my thinking cap on over this.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
lol hes learned that end has teeth most likely,

as someone said I would start with nipping it in the bud with star if he does it more often with her,
use the same command each time, so he knows that its a no no,
I would be very matter of fact with him,
tbh humping is not a problem I see much of,

I really have got my thinking cap on over this.
It is hard to explain without you guys seeing him with my dogs and other dogs, I can tell him to get off Star and tell him to go on his bed, if I have a treat he will do it, when its a new dog I could have a fresh chicken for him and he wouldn't bat an eye at me.

I have never had humping problems either, Charlie was my first male and easily told, Bear is very clever and learns very fast but when it comes to common sense he is severely lacking. But this is an issue he came ingrained with, so not knowing how it started or why it did makes it harder to figure out why he feels the need to have to do it.

On a better and separate note, his lead walking has came on absolutely super! He is such a lovely boy you know, he's so gorgeous, i'm so glad we have him.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-05-2009, 07:37 AM
I draw the line by never allowing any of them to do it. Rio had a bit of a phase of it too but it was stopped pretty sharpish.
I think it can very easily lead to fights tbh. Syd is extremely tolerant of other dogs both at home and out and about. He puts up with all sorts but the one thing he will never tolerate from any dog is a dog trying to get on his back, humping playing or otherwise. For him it's a total no no and shows no respect and Syd is very big on respect. He has told dogs in the past in no uncertain terms to "F*** Off. Which if the dog was not inclined to, as in the case of a very determined staffy with an owner who thought it was fine, cos he was only playing. They both left feeling a bit shook up to say the least and the owner now knows playing or not some dogs just wont have it and why should they to be fair.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3