View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Mine have got their breed on as well as with them being quite rare they may get described as "Labradoodle/Scottie/Schanuzer/Poodle" otherwise so it would be easier for me to ring up and say "Kerry Blue terrier" and hopefully the person who has them would have read the tag.

The lady round the corner had her Cairn terrier escape recently and someone handed it into "Pets at Home" and they charged her £58 for holding it for 2 hours! Still, that motivated her to get a tag.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by pspettags View Post
If you would like to actually read the article it says in it 'please remember to refer to the control of dogs act 1992'.

Far too quick to criticise.
NO not quick enough your article is VERY misleading.

You are posting information which is CONTRARY to UK LAW.

All the information that is needed is held on the KC website. Yours contradicts it. Why? To what purpose?

This is entirely your decision and there is no right or wrong

Incorrect, there IS a right or wrong. Leaving off the owners name is WRONG and means the tag is NOT legally compliant.

Leaving off the house name or number is WRONG and means the tag is NOT legally compliant.

Both the above actions would leave the owner liable to prosecution.
pspettags
New Member!
Male 

18-06-2011, 07:10 PM
I do not wish to get into a debate with you over this but feel you are being incredibly unfair. This is a quote from the article...
So you have brought your little bundle of joy home and he is settling in with the family nicely. You have got him his own little bowl, bed, lead & collar. The next most important task is to get him a Pet ID Tag. 'I have had him chipped' I hear you say in response to this. Well, the fact that your new pet is chipped doesn't affect the legality of having an ID tag on your pet when out in public.The Control of Dogs Order 1992 mandates that any dog in a public place must wear a collar or tag with the name and address (including postcode) of the owner on it. A telephone number is optional but advisable. Owners can be fined up to £5,000 if their dog does not wear an identification tag.

Name
This is where many dog owners differ. Some prefer to include the dogs name whereas some prefer to keep this private (some believe that giving the name of the dog can help thieves) and instead include the family surname. This is entirely your decision and there is no right or wrong. Please bare in mind though The Control of Dogs Order 1992 quoted above.

The article quite clearly points out the law as you state and simple says you may or may not want to include THE DOGS NAME when saying there is no right or wrong. I do believe it then again says 'but please do bear in mind the Control of Dogs Act'.

I understand that you feel strongly about this issue but please read the article clearly before suggesting the Information is wrong.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Ours have 'Microchipped and Neutered' 'postcode and house number on one side' and two mobile numbers and home phone on the other side.

I have just ordered two holiday tags with full address and mobile and home telephone number of the lady who is boarding them for us, and will put these on whilst we are away instead of our ones.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Thank you, I DID read the article "clearly" which is more than what the article is, ie clear.

Your writing is confusing.

You also state that a post code is the MINIMUM required, it is NOT.

A tag with ONLY the postcode is not legally compliant.

If you want to ensure there is no misunderstandings and you want people to buy from your site, I would strongly suggest you word it so there is absolutely no ambiguity.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by Rolosmum View Post
Ours have 'Microchipped and Neutered' 'postcode and house number on one side' and two mobile numbers and home phone on the other side.

I have just ordered two holiday tags with full address and mobile and home telephone number of the lady who is boarding them for us, and will put these on whilst we are away instead of our ones.
That is great but without YOUR name, your ID tag is not legally compliant.
pspettags
New Member!
Male 

18-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
That is great but without YOUR name, your ID tag is not legally compliant.
Again, not wishing to sound rude but please read the article again...

Address
As mentioned above the very least you should have is your house number/name & postcode. This would be beneficial if your dog is likely to roam the local neighbourhood. People would be able to bring you dog straight back to you without involving any vets or extra costs. Please always remember to update your address should you move.

I'm not too sure what issues you have with this article and our site (which if you would would like to look quotes the Control of Dogs Act 1992).

I am telling people they have to have surnames as per the act or face a fine. I'm simply saying the choice is theirs whether or not they wish to include THE DOGS NAME!

Please please read the artcle carefully before slating it.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 07:30 PM
I am really pleased to note the changes you have now made in this article to ensure that potential buyers are not misled.
pspettags
New Member!
Male 

18-06-2011, 07:36 PM
This article hasn't changed since it was posted yesterday.

The facts were clear. I feel it is very disheartening that you felt the need to pick on an article and website that quite clearly points out the legalities of having a pet id tag when so many other don't.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 07:56 PM
In the end I decided on a double sided brass tag with black filled engraving with three mobile phone numbers, home postcode and phone number, vet's postcode and phone number and microchipped and spayed. Oh, and vets fees will be payed.

They are still going strong to this day. Both the dogs AND the tags!
Page 5 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »