View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 12:45 PM
I know what you are saying when you say don't pick the dogs up when when it's Chi -v- slavvering dog snapping wildly, my girls wouldn't have stood a chance (luckily only had two of them with me that day)! I picked mine up but this particular JRT was literally bouncing on its paws snapping at my girls legs and it actually got one snap in (not drastic - no vet treatment required). Bear in mind I am 5' 10" and this dog was jumping feet high to get my girls! It was terrifying. The only way I stopped it was to knee it in the face a couple of times as it was bouncing up. It gave up in the end. The owner just stood there jaws open, screaming at the dog. She apologised profusely (I even felt a bit sorry for her - the JRT had snapped the lead in pulling so wildly to attack the Chis). Mind you, if it had hurt my girls badly, I'd have probably flipped, I'm not THAT understanding

I think that each situation probably has to be dealt with individually. Obviously large breed dogs, I imagine would have to battle it out, as you'd only serve to make matters worse (I imagine) if you intervened. No doubt you'd be carted off to hospital yourself.

It's a tricky one but I am very aware when walking my dogs, that they could be attacked anytime - it's a worry I have considered getting a large breed to protect the Chis when we are out but the last thing I'd want is a dog that attacked anyone or anything, so how would one get the balance right, I really don't know
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 12:48 PM
[QUOTE=Gnasher;1687820]Water pistols can be very handy, or a squirty bottle of water, and not too hassley to have to carry.

Perhaps something Leo's owner might find handy ! I have this sad mental picture of poor Leo being attacked, and sitting there looking all bemused, bless him.[/QUOTE]

Leo is a Leonberger called Hector. 120lb of fluff and yes he does look bemused

he thinks everything is on this planet for him to love so being attacked is not what he expects. thats why i step in.

the water bottle wouldnt work as Hector would want it and this might make things worse with a highly arroused dog.

now, my other dog Bonnie, would fight back, she would protect Hector but luckily i've not been in that position with both of them.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Whatever you do please don't scream. This actually makes the attacker worse as it goes into prey mode, because it thinks the screaming is from wounded prey and it eggs it on. If your dog lies down and shows its tummy, it is showing submission, whatever you do don't try and drag it away, the attacking dog will give it 'permission' to move, if it hasn't given permission and the dog tries to move the attacker will have another go at it, so just try and be quiet and calm,ordering the attacker to sit sometimes works as well. I really don't think pulling a dog by the tail is a good idea, as you are going the right way to get bitten yourself. Lifting the back legs is better as it can't get to you then.
Tawneywolf said it all.........

kicking a dog can aslo provoke the attack to esculate too.

When I worked at the RSPCA one of the Inspectors who had great experience of parting dogs.....DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME parted a SBT/other dog fighting.... by getting the SBT by it B*lls, twisting and lifting the dog up and out ...which naturally made it drop the other dog from it's jaws.....
and obviously only works if the dog has b*lls

However I am not going to try this
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Whilst we're all having a go at the attacking dog's owner's to get their nasty orrible dogs off our lovely doggies - even worse, imagine if if was our lovely doggie who has never hurt a fly attacks another dog!
God I'm being cheerful today (not)- it's all just made me think "what if......
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
Whilst we're all having a go at the attacking dog's owner's to get their nasty orrible dogs off our lovely doggies - even worse, imagine if if was our lovely doggie who has never hurt a fly attacks another dog!
God I'm being cheerful today (not)- it's all just made me think "what if......
makes no difference..........i'd do the same.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Tawneywolf said it all.........

kicking a dog can aslo provoke the attack to esculate too.

When I worked at the RSPCA one of the Inspectors who had great experience of parting dogs.....DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME parted a SBT/other dog fighting.... by getting the SBT by it B*lls, twisting and lifting the dog up and out ...which naturally made it drop the other dog from it's jaws.....
and obviously only works if the dog has b*lls

However I am not going to try this
I absolutely agree about the kicking, but as a last case scenario when your ankle is bitten down to the bone, I think anything goes !

As for ball crushing, I would think that would be pretty effective too !!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 01:02 PM
[QUOTE=hectorsmum;1687844]
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Water pistols can be very handy, or a squirty bottle of water, and not too hassley to have to carry.

Perhaps something Leo's owner might find handy ! I have this sad mental picture of poor Leo being attacked, and sitting there looking all bemused, bless him.[/QUOTE]

Leo is a Leonberger called Hector. 120lb of fluff and yes he does look bemused

he thinks everything is on this planet for him to love so being attacked is not what he expects. thats why i step in.

the water bottle wouldnt work as Hector would want it and this might make things worse with a highly arroused dog.

now, my other dog Bonnie, would fight back, she would protect Hector but luckily i've not been in that position with both of them.

HECTOR sounds gorgeous !!
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 01:09 PM
So has anyone got any advice in the specific situation of small dogs being attacked by a larger one?

As Cheeky Chi said this isn't a situation where the dogs can be left to sort it out and I know picking up little dogs is not a good idea, so what's the best course of action??

Thank goodness this has never happened to us and I have to say if it did I think Pepper, my Mini Schanuzer, would jump in to protect her brothers but she's hardly a big dog herself!

J
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
So has anyone got any advice in the specific situation of small dogs being attacked by a larger one?

As Cheeky Chi said this isn't a situation where the dogs can be left to sort it out and I know picking up little dogs is not a good idea, so what's the best course of action??

Thank goodness this has never happened to us and I have to say if it did I think Pepper, my Mini Schanuzer, would jump in to protect her brothers but she's hardly a big dog herself!

J
Sorry the only experience I have had of this was some years ago when something had happened and the owner of a puppy dragged the puppy off the ground, one of the other dogs latched on it it as she had it mid-air.....my friend and I ran over and I remembered I had an ''attack alarm'' in my pocket...a alarm for humans as I used to have to walk home on the dark...I just grabbed it and screamed it down the dogs ear, sudden shock of the noise made it let go...
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 01:25 PM
[QUOTE=Gnasher;1687861]
Originally Posted by hectorsmum View Post

HECTOR sounds gorgeous !!
Thank you...........he is

just for you

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »