Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2014, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Twigs View Post
Yes I know, I am trying to be strong (although feel such a wimp!). I'm fine in elevators etc., no problem.
I think its the feeling trapped, knowing that I cannot take it off. I have heard that they now have removable ones to give people more comfort at times when needed.
in canada they use air casts which you can take off. but your bones need stability to knit together.

hospital visits are draining. my appointment wa at 10 and it was after 1 pm when i got out.

rest and eat!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2014, 01:21 PM
It obviously is causing you genuine anxiety and upset. So, as you have no option but to wear it, maybe the doc can prescribe you something to alleviate your distress and panic feelings?

And yes, it is a condition a few suffer from and has been acknowledged for some years.

Wise advice from Rosebud to eat little and often. When I needed my body to do some serious healing the doc told me I was not to eat any very large meals as my 'resources' or whatever would all be diverted to digesting and dealing with those when we want them to concentrate on healing the bad bit.

Same applies to rest. You MUST rest. That's what concerns me that your anxiety will be stopping you getting enough rest.

Speak to your doctor.
Twigs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-05-2014, 03:01 PM
Thanks so much to you both for your advice and understanding.
I am coping a little better now and have got used to the cast a little. Still feel a bit anxious at times and have been getting quite depressed but feel I am coping now. The worst time for me is first thing in the morning feeling depressed and then last thing at night as its so uncomfortable sleeping.
I have got a bit more appetite now too and am also taking a calcium supplement.
I was supposed to go back to the hospital next week but no appointment arrived in the post. I rang them yesterday and apparently the fracture clinic has been overbooked!! They managed to get me an appointment for next Friday afternoon. I am praying that they will fit a below elbow cast so that I have more freedom of movement.
I didn't contact my GP as I don't want antidepressants and I thought if this is only for 2 weeks (feels like 2 years!) wearing this cast I will have to cope.
Thanks again for your help, its good to talk to people who understand what you are going through.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2014, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by Twigs View Post
Thanks so much to you both for your advice and understanding.
I am coping a little better now and have got used to the cast a little. Still feel a bit anxious at times and have been getting quite depressed but feel I am coping now. The worst time for me is first thing in the morning feeling depressed and then last thing at night as its so uncomfortable sleeping.
I have got a bit more appetite now too and am also taking a calcium supplement.
I was supposed to go back to the hospital next week but no appointment arrived in the post. I rang them yesterday and apparently the fracture clinic has been overbooked!! They managed to get me an appointment for next Friday afternoon. I am praying that they will fit a below elbow cast so that I have more freedom of movement.
I didn't contact my GP as I don't want antidepressants and I thought if this is only for 2 weeks (feels like 2 years!) wearing this cast I will have to cope.
Thanks again for your help, its good to talk to people who understand what you are going through.
ah so good to read this and well done.

adjusting takes time. am working on it here as i face the reality that the bad treatment has left me with long term nerve damage. but adjust we must!
glad re the eating too as that helps more than we sometimes realise
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2014, 07:30 AM
Glad you are feeling a little better. Pains and conditions that stop you dropping off to sleep are horrible. Most of us are at our 'lowest ebb' in the wee small hours.

A recent shoulder problem (both of them) meant the only position I could lie in was flat on my back. And, although it didn't hurt to do that, it is such an unnatural position for me to try to sleep in (and as soon as I almost dropped off I kept automatically rolling to one side when the sharp pain would have me wide awake again!) I got very little sleep. Ended up with so many pillows to try to stop me feeling 'flat on my back' and stop me 'rolling' over I was almost sitting bolt upright.

Perhaps look up and try some deep breathing exercises to try to calm you down a bit.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-05-2014, 09:34 AM
Just a thought re the healing, and you taking a calcium supplement to help it. I'm unable to take the osteoporosis medication because it has horrendous side effects on me, so I am on Vit D which is good for bones, so maybe see if they'll prescribe them for you.
I hope you get a below elbow cast when you finally get to see someone, then you'll be a bit easier in yourself.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2014, 02:45 PM
frankly shocked at the state of my hand and wrist..lumpy and swollen all over.. not like my old familiar hand at all..ah well...
Twigs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-05-2014, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
ah so good to read this and well done.

adjusting takes time. am working on it here as i face the reality that the bad treatment has left me with long term nerve damage. but adjust we must!
glad re the eating too as that helps more than we sometimes realise
Hi Rosebud, I am so sorry to read about the awful time you have had, but with time I am sure things will get a bit easier for you as its early days yet and our bodies are amazing at healing themselves. Do our nerves not heal at all? Where I bashed the side of my face when I fell the tingly nerve on my cheekbone has now settled down but my teeth on that one side are still numb, so I think that may be permanent I will tell my dentist when I go for my check up.
Twigs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-05-2014, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Just a thought re the healing, and you taking a calcium supplement to help it. I'm unable to take the osteoporosis medication because it has horrendous side effects on me, so I am on Vit D which is good for bones, so maybe see if they'll prescribe them for you.
I hope you get a below elbow cast when you finally get to see someone, then you'll be a bit easier in yourself.
I am just taking a calcium supplement with added vit D which I ordered from NaturesBest, I take two a day. Think I will carry on taking them for a while. They have not mentioned about a test for osteoporosis at the hosp. Iam a (YOUNG!) 59!! Perhaps I should mention it, but feel I;ve got enough to cope with at the mo!!
Twigs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-05-2014, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Glad you are feeling a little better. Pains and conditions that stop you dropping off to sleep are horrible. Most of us are at our 'lowest ebb' in the wee small hours.

A recent shoulder problem (both of them) meant the only position I could lie in was flat on my back. And, although it didn't hurt to do that, it is such an unnatural position for me to try to sleep in (and as soon as I almost dropped off I kept automatically rolling to one side when the sharp pain would have me wide awake again!) I got very little sleep. Ended up with so many pillows to try to stop me feeling 'flat on my back' and stop me 'rolling' over I was almost sitting bolt upright.

Perhaps look up and try some deep breathing exercises to try to calm you down a bit.
Yes, its horrible not being able to sleep comfortably, it will be a lot easier if I can have the smaller plaster cast. I can't bear the thought of having to wear this for much longer.
Yes, I do try the deep breathing, it does help a bit but the effects don't last long!
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >