Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2013, 12:51 PM

A proper holiday from work!

Eventually got around to emailing my employer to tell him that this Christmas I will be away for 2 weeks and will not be taking the big laptop that has the software on it that I use to work on our website. But would occasionally 'look in' on Amazon to make sure there were no disasters or urgent responses required as I can do that from anyone's computer but that this year he was not to expect me to be 'available' over Xmas so if he had any urgent stuff in the pipeline - send it in the next couple of days.

And .... for the first time in the 7 yrs I've worked for him he's replied to say OK and 'don't worry about Amazon - he is closing it down from 23rd Dec to the 3rd Jan!!! Almost my exact holiday dates!

So I won't even be bothering to take my lightweight Lenovo with me. Just my tablet to muck about on for personal use.

I really will be 'travelling light' and am doing the happy dance here! Can't remember the last time I took off on 'holiday' and didn't take a laptop and have to do at least one work related thing.

I am going to go the whole hog and put a 'holiday message' on my email too (just in case he forgets or changes his mind!)
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2013, 01:41 PM
That's fantastic Tang really hope you have a great time and relaaaaax !
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Loverly... enjoy your holiday
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2013, 03:25 PM
Thats a result Do you think he's decided to close for those dates as a result of you saying you weren't taking your laptop with you so wouldn't be available. Maybe he would have closed other Christmas' times had you said the same thing ......... you'll be prepared for next year now too Whatever the reason for him closing for that period is a real result for you
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Yeah I feel like a big kid looking fwd to the school holidays lol!

I think what influenced him more than anything was that he is already 'behind' with posting out Christmas Orders - so much so that he got a warning from AM and also had his Christmas products privileges removed - that's when THEY decide what your posting cut off date is - not you. He was probably worried that he'd get a lot of last minute orders and be unable to fulfill them.

And I doubt his pickers and packers were happy to work over Xmas now his Amazon stuff has taken off and is busy. The website isn't a problem - it's a trade website. Buyers don't expect you to be delivering over xmas and most stop buying before then anyway.

Best bit for me is that altho I don't get paid for any time I don't work - when I get back and he 're-opens' there will be loads for me to do and I won't have anything much better to do in January when it is cold. So instead of frantically working in the run up to Xmas to try to minimise anything I have to do during Xmas. I will be able to make up the money at my leisure when I get back! Yay!

*and remember his 'new IT guy' doesn't work outside Mon to Fri 9 to 5 and has no access online outside working hours lol! I'm glad he took the eejit on now!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Well that sounds fantastic............well done the Boss.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Well done Tang, hope you have a fabulous Christmas with your family.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Well done Tang, hope you have a fabulous Christmas with your family.
Thank you Nippy - I always do. Can't remember a 'bad Christmas' ever. And I don't 'work over Christmas' when everyone else is having fun. I tend to be up much earlier than all of them (especially with the time difference kicking in UK being 2hrs behind) and usually log on and just see what's what before anyone wakes up. Won't even have to do that now but best of all won't even have to take any lappy with me.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2013, 11:05 PM
Brilliant Can tell how excited you are...good for you Be great for you,especially seeing Mart,since last time you were together he was poorly...you'll have great fun xx
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Yes I'm getting just 'a bit' excited now with only a few days to go. Been out and bought a few bottles of booze to take to Jen. Just had to buy food for myself too as I've got fed up using up what's left here. Printed off my eticket.

Will be the first time for ages my hand luggage has just consisted of a shoulder handbag! I'm being careful not to carry heavy stuff since the neck shoulder episode. Got my last appointment with the Osteo tomorrow morning at 9.30 - don't want to undo all her good work.

Mart is up in London meeting with old school and uni chums this weekend - think he's coming from there to Jen's and we all go over to Dan's on 23rd. Have told Dan not to bother cooking anything - we will treat all 10 of us to a huge Indian delivery feast!

Have been sleeping far longer than I usually do this past few days. Can't understand why I don't feel very 'refreshed'. Just bought a beanbag neck pillow for the flight - in case I doze off (that did my neck in last time).

Two more days with Bella I'm REALLY going to miss the little menace.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >