Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 07:09 PM

Lower quality food vs higher quality food

Hope Azz doesn't mind me doing this, but am doing a little research whilst i'm stuck here in hospital!

I was wondering if anyone used to feed a low quality food (bakers/wagg etc), and has now switched to a higher quality food (Arden Grange/JWB etc).

If you have, what changes (pos and neg) have you noticed since you changed over?
These changes could be with behaviour, less/more poo, coat/condition of body...anything really!

Also, if you don't mind, I would like to take some answers and use them as 'testimonials' for something i'm doing at work?

Thanks,
Heather
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 08:16 PM
Hi.
I havent swapped from low to high, but I swapped from Wainwrights [which is good I think?] to Autarky, which is much much cheaper so may be called a lower class food.
Lets call Wainwright food A
Autarky food B

I have found the following-
They like B better!
They dont need/ eat as much of food B
Poos about the same.
Coat on Flint hasnt changed but coat on Simba has actually improved with food B!
Havent had skin allergies/ fleas since being on food B
Energy about the same
Simba has calmed down since being on food B, but this could be because he is growing out of the puppy stage.
Not noticed any change in behaviour.

Food A cost about 32pound for 15kg and a 25kg dog was supposed to have about 400grams [forgive me if im incorrect, was a while since I read the bag!]
Food B costs 12pounds and a 25kg dog needs about 250-300grams a day.

Big change in money spent.

Hope this is what you were looking for
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks
It's more to do with ingredients that makes a food 'higher quality'.

For example, Bakers etc have the first ingredient listed as 'cereals', and then goes on to list 'derevatives of animal and vegetable origin'.
There are no actual definitions of what 'derevatives' are, so could be anything from feathers to toe nails to potato peelings.
They also contain lots of additives and colourings, various sugars, and also chemical preservatives which are known to cause problems, and 2 of which are banned for use in food for humans..........and I for one wouldn't feed a food that contains all that ****e!!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Hi Hevvur,

In the early days when we first got Max we fed him foods that I would never consider feeding him now, such as sainsburys own brand, winalot, butchers & pedigree etc. He had a lot of upset stomachs at the time which is why we looked more into nutrition.

We did try him with James wellbelloved which he wouldn't touch, even when introduced gradually. We went with Hills natures best giant breed but he refused to eat that after a short while.

Our vet recommended Burns, which we tried and the vast majority of his upset stomachs cleared up, he also did less poos and smelt less! When we got Max he had a lot of behavioural problems, his behaviour improved considerably almost straight away when we started changing him over to the higher quality foods.

Hope this helps and you are out of hospital very soon.x.