Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 10:27 AM

Homemade low fat treats?

Right you lot, get your thinking caps on. Cassie is on a low/now fat diet now. At the moment it consists of cooked chicken and Hills Prescription diet food.

She's really missing her treats and I'd like to know if anyone has any recipes for low/no fat treats that I could make at home.

I've managed to get hold of some pre done ones from a website but they're expensive and I'd rather make them at home. Savoury and sweet ones would be good.

Thanks guys.

xxxxxJ
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Is liver ok? I must admit I never think of it as being fatty, but am not sure.

If its ok, you can make some liver cake. Or you could change the liver for almost anything else - tuna, pilchards (pilchards are quite an oily fish though, so not sure if they would be too fatty?).

All I do is (and its not very precise) is liquidize the liver then add oats and one egg. I add just enough oats so that it forms a stodgy mass (i.e. not too runny, then I stick it on some baking foil on a baking tray, whack it in the oven until it is done (hardened into a a cake like consistancy).
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Can't help you with those treats Jackie, but re: the Hills Food which your vet has probably put you on. You might want to take a look at the Royal Canin Digestive LOW FAT which is specifically for dogs with pancreatic problems. You will find it on the Hyperdrug or Bestpet Pharmacy (can't remember which) coz of course Cassie had to be on this with her pancreatic problems. Another good one they do is the Sensitivity Control Capelin & Tapioca which I know has NO fat in it either and again specifically for these pancreatic problems coz that's what my original vet put her on when first diagnosed. I know all the vets will always prescribe Hills, but I think you ought to check out the fat contents in that Digestive Low Fat one, because like I say, it's specifically FOR dogs with pancreatic problems and therefore has no or very little fat, so might even be LESS fat than the HIlls?

My own Cassie could tolerate those JWB Duck and Rice hypoallergenic biscuits but I don't know the fat content of those, but I also know that Snorri could give those to Kali who had the same problems with his pancreas at one time? They do the mini versions too.

Tell her I know just how she feels, especially when she thinks about those lovely cooked breakfasts down on the beach on a Sunday morning, bless her. Good luck in finding something.

Do you remember Ashlady on here, who used to use somebody who left the Beeb boards and started cooking up doggy treats from home in the form of biscuits? I will ask her for you coz I know they have a website and they deliver and they might well do low or no fat ones! All the best with her, and you're doing the right thing here, even though she tells you different!xxdx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-04-2009, 01:16 PM
I think turkey is low fat, get some turkey mince and crush a small amount of garlic into it and form into balls and bake in the oven.
Ollie loves them.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Is liver ok? I must admit I never think of it as being fatty, but am not sure.

If its ok, you can make some liver cake. Or you could change the liver for almost anything else - tuna, pilchards (pilchards are quite an oily fish though, so not sure if they would be too fatty?).

All I do is (and its not very precise) is liquidize the liver then add oats and one egg. I add just enough oats so that it forms a stodgy mass (i.e. not too runny, then I stick it on some baking foil on a baking tray, whack it in the oven until it is done (hardened into a a cake like consistancy).
Brilliant, thanks for that. Think I'll try a tuna onexx

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Can't help you with those treats Jackie, but re: the Hills Food which your vet has probably put you on. You might want to take a look at the Royal Canin Digestive LOW FAT which is specifically for dogs with pancreatic problems. You will find it on the Hyperdrug or Bestpet Pharmacy (can't remember which) coz of course Cassie had to be on this with her pancreatic problems. Another good one they do is the Sensitivity Control Capelin & Tapioca which I know has NO fat in it either and again specifically for these pancreatic problems coz that's what my original vet put her on when first diagnosed. I know all the vets will always prescribe Hills, but I think you ought to check out the fat contents in that Digestive Low Fat one, because like I say, it's specifically FOR dogs with pancreatic problems and therefore has no or very little fat, so might even be LESS fat than the HIlls?

My own Cassie could tolerate those JWB Duck and Rice hypoallergenic biscuits but I don't know the fat content of those, but I also know that Snorri could give those to Kali who had the same problems with his pancreas at one time? They do the mini versions too.

Tell her I know just how she feels, especially when she thinks about those lovely cooked breakfasts down on the beach on a Sunday morning, bless her. Good luck in finding something.

Do you remember Ashlady on here, who used to use somebody who left the Beeb boards and started cooking up doggy treats from home in the form of biscuits? I will ask her for you coz I know they have a website and they deliver and they might well do low or no fat ones! All the best with her, and you're doing the right thing here, even though she tells you different!xxdx
Thanks for that Aitch and if you could find out the website for Ashlady's friends for homemade biscuits that would be great.
Cassie's on the Hills Prescription I/D food and that is specific for pancreatic problems. We've been advised not to change that for the time being but may be able to in the future.
The poor thing is missing her doggy chocs and her toast from me in the morning!xx

Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I think turkey is low fat, get some turkey mince and crush a small amount of garlic into it and form into balls and bake in the oven.
Ollie loves them.
Thanks Lynn, never thought about the turkey mince. Will give them a go too.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Be careful with liver Jackie, it's the fattiest thing out! It's a big no-no for me with my heart problems, it's absolutely FULL of cholesterol, so be very careful with liver!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Be careful with liver Jackie, it's the fattiest thing out! It's a big no-no for me with my heart problems, it's absolutely FULL of cholesterol, so be very careful with liver!
Thanks Aitch, yes, that's why I'm doing the tuna one. I hate liver anyway so couldn't even cook it in the house anyway LOL
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Hi Jackie first a word about chicken, most chicken these days are intensively reared and 'grown' very quickly and they are very high in fat. A lot of the fat is under the skin so you can help by removing the skin also by cooking the chicken in water/alowing to cool/removing the fat from the jelly which will have formed.

White fish is practicaly fat free and you can buy it in frozen blocks, coley is the cheapest . Because it is solid fish you don't need a great amount.

I make oat cakes for poorly dogs, they are fat free.
I mix organic oats with warm water to make a thick paste. You can add a beaten egg for protein. Let the mixture stand for about twenty mins then drop spoons full of this in to a thick bottom pan which has been wiped with a smear of olive oil to prevent sticking.
Flatten the oat cakes out and cook over a gentle heat (like drop scones ) turning once. Allow to cool then break into pieces and feed as a treat.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Yes, the fish would be brilliant and would make a pleasant change for her or mix it with her kibble. You can get the blocks of frozen white fish in P@H and just microwave for 10 mins. Cassie used to love it! It's white fish and smells nice, not rubbish and of course, no risks of bones!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Jackie first a word about chicken, most chicken these days are intensively reared and 'grown' very quickly and they are very high in fat. A lot of the fat is under the skin so you can help by removing the skin also by cooking the chicken in water/alowing to cool/removing the fat from the jelly which will have formed.

White fish is practicaly fat free and you can buy it in frozen blocks, coley is the cheapest . Because it is solid fish you don't need a great amount.

I make oat cakes for poorly dogs, they are fat free.
I mix organic oats with warm water to make a thick paste. You can add a beaten egg for protein. Let the mixture stand for about twenty mins then drop spoons full of this in to a thick bottom pan which has been wiped with a smear of olive oil to prevent sticking.
Flatten the oat cakes out and cook over a gentle heat (like drop scones ) turning once. Allow to cool then break into pieces and feed as a treat.
Thanks Mini. The chicken she's getting is boneless and skinless and cooked in water with a garlic clove so think we're doing ok there. Thanks for the tip about the fish and the homemade oatcakes. Will give both a try.xx

Yes, the fish would be brilliant and would make a pleasant change for her or mix it with her kibble. You can get the blocks of frozen white fish in P@H and just microwave for 10 mins. Cassie used to love it! It's white fish and smells nice, not rubbish and of course, no risks of bones!
Thanks Aitch. Will give that a go too. xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >