Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2006, 05:24 PM

What's attacking my plant please??

I bought some climbing plants for the new car port posts, and although all the others are doing fine, this one is particularly liked by some leaf eating species! Anybody know what it could be please, or what I can spray on the leaves to make it less tasty to them? Thanks!

bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2006, 06:27 PM
helen from what i can see of your plant and the damage that has been caused it sounds like you have catterpillars if this is the case the only way to find out if you have is to place a white sheet under the plant pot and if you see little brown specs of dirt on it you have cattererpillars they are so small and they hide on the stem onf the plant so they are hard to find you can buy a spray to kill them with once you have treated the plant place another sheet under the pot and leave and if all is clear the next time theve gone
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2006, 06:55 PM
Thanks Jen But how on earth can you expect me to kill a caterpillar!!!??? Can't I just get them drunk or something like you do with slugs!! I bet they were already on the blooming plant when I bought it a month ago, coz it's always been like that but not quite as bad as now. Funny how the others are still ok though, or maybe these caterpillars haven't got very good eyesight and haven't spotted the others yet! I will go and do that white sheet thing you said about now, and maybe take my magnifying glass out there and look on the stems too! Thanks Jen
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2006, 06:59 PM
if you find black specs of dirt on the sheet thats catterpillar poo sounds horrible but its the only way of knowing if you got them if you look carefully at the plant you should be able to see them move remove them and drown them thats what i do
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-09-2006, 07:00 PM
Helen,

John (who is the green fingered allotment holder of the family !!) said that it could also be snails, as our hollyhocks are the same and the blasted snails eat those leaves.

So, as Jen said, it must be some sort of living creature attacking it, rather than a plant disease.

There is a slug pellet that you can get that is harmless to pets, but the name escapes me at the moment.

Regards

Jill
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2006, 07:00 PM
Right - I'm on a mission!!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2006, 07:03 PM
Thanks Jill, for consulting your green fingered member of the family for me Slug pellets of any description would be a big no-no for me after what Cassie's been through in the past (that dog'll eat anything!) I know I have a lot of snails around coz sometimes I tread on them (not meaning to of course!) makes me cringe! So would the pint of beer at the bottom of the pot do the trick for snails or slugs then, if you wouldn't mind asking John for me please!! Thanks Jill
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Right, I've investigated the stems and leaves with my humungous magnifying glass and can't see anything I've put white kitchen roll around the base of the plant (hope it doesn't rain tonight!) so will check it out in the morning. If that's still clean in the morning, the possibility of snails could be the answer, in which case I will do a stake out tomorrow night - watch this space!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2006, 07:13 PM
You can stop snmails/slugs getting to plants by putting chicken wire (or similar), or something like sandpaper or small gravel at the bottom of the pot, or around the bottom of the plant.
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-09-2006, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
Thanks Jill, for consulting your green fingered member of the family for me Slug pellets of any description would be a big no-no for me after what Cassie's been through in the past (that dog'll eat anything!) I know I have a lot of snails around coz sometimes I tread on them (not meaning to of course!) makes me cringe! So would the pint of beer at the bottom of the pot do the trick for snails or slugs then, if you wouldn't mind asking John for me please!! Thanks Jill

Hi Helen,

Sorry, I'd forgotten that about that trouble with Cassie.

Yes, that will do fine, they go for that, then the poor
b-ggers get drunk and then "end of snails".

Regards

Jill
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >