Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 12:42 PM

The hole in the fence test

Ok, I'm not being serious here but I am developing a theory that dogs loosely fall into 2 camps, the ones that go through the hole and the ones that don't.

To explain; in the park we commonly walk in there are lots of holes in the fence, mostly made by foxes I think, that lead into a path that runs behind people's gardens.

My Pepper, nosey, overconfident mare that she is will, if given the opportunity, go through the smallest of holes. Once on the other side she realises I can't get though and goes all dizzy and will not come back through the hole.

Gozo & Enzo just don't go through, they are not at all interested. On the rare occasion they have a little peep they come right back through when called.

So which camp does your dog fall into? Are they through every gap they can fit? Or just not interested?

J.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-06-2011, 12:48 PM
2 of each here Oz and Tia would show no intrest where Snoop and Coco would be through with out a 2nd thought..
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
2 of each here Oz and Tia would show no intrest where Snoop and Coco would be through with out a 2nd thought..
Sorry Murf, I'm pants with names, is it your boxers that stay close or your little guys, or one of each?

J.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Nope, none of mine would go through holes unless I told them to or it was a hole that we often go through together.

For example there is a hole i've discovered that leads from my local park on to an old tip site where there are lots of rabbits. Before, my dogs never bothered with the hole until I decided to take a peek myself and now they wait at the hole to see if we're going through or not (although Jed normally decided he's going through anyway, even if i'm not).
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
Sorry Murf, I'm pants with names, is it your boxers that stay close or your little guys, or one of each?

J.
One of each ..lol
Hopefully coco the pup will grow out of it as she has way more access to holes and such ...
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Poppy would be straight through, Kiara would follow Poppy !!!

Bailey would only ever follow me xx
Jofelicia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Mine would go through and often do! They love to go through the hole in the fence into a garden that leads off the park where we go. EVERY TIME!!!

I have even started letting them off the lead after we pass it now. Thankfully the owner of the house thinks its really funny!!
marianne38
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Mine always goes through holes or gaps, he is a big dog and will squeeze himself through. Trouble is he doesn,t always come back through again, I have had to carry him over a fence before.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Willow yes Darwin no We used to let them off in an area that was firly secure round a lake but had 1 hole in the fence that was barbed wire on the top. Willow would always go through unless we headed him off and would not come back so we would have to walk all the way round to get the little git We don't let them off there anymore I hasten to add it was still fields behind not rds!
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Charlie the English spends his whole walk looking for that gap through the hedge to the next field - surely he is missing out by not being there - he will stump me by then finding another gap to come back through!

The Gordons generally won't as they tend to stick in the same field as me! or check back to me ! so even if they went through they would come back! provided nothing major distracted them!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >