View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Because as I said before KC vaccine does not protect against ALL KC and not for very long.

A bit like typhoid injections in humans...............
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
I've not been asked for my dogs to be vaccinated against KC but just the normal vaccs. card is usually sufficient or at least my vet's phone number so they can check.

I don't think though that people give KC the credit it deserves for being a very damaging disease potentially. When I got Yiannis from B'ham DH he had KC. Not severely but enough to bother him. He had antibiotics from there and it cleared up within the first week. Zane coughed and spluttered for a day and a half but Ellie, who was probbaly the healthiest and most robust of my dogs at the time was knocked sideways by it.
It got to the point where I had to sit up with her ALL night for 4 nights running to hold her head up because if she lay down properly to sleep she couldn't breathe.

It was horrendous and just like with kids, I couldn't fdo anything to take it away from her. Until then I didn't realise just how serious it could have been.

Too many people underestimate KC and then panic when their dog does catch it, even if it's only a mild case. It's a shame there isn't more education for the general public/dog owners on it - maybe given by vets whent hey get their dogs vaccinated every year?
yes education to say that even though your dog has the vaccination they can still catch it, and that some vets put pressure on you to have it without explaining this
ATD x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
yes education to say that even though your dog has the vaccination they can still catch it, and that some vets put pressure on you to have it without explaining this
ATD x
Excellent post.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 01:29 PM
I've put my dogs into kennels once that didn't insist on KC...and they came out with KC!! They recovered without intervention but now I wouldn't put my dogs into kennels that don't insist on it.
We've just had a bout of KC here at home caught from my new recruit Coco and 2 of them needed antibiotics etc. The other 5 of mine have all had KC vaccine and 3 still caught it albeit much less severe. Only Guinness and Jenny haven't.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 01:50 PM
The KC vaccine only protects against ONE type of KC, Bordetella. There is another type (parainfluenza) in the annual vaccs, all told there are about 10 types! Its not insisted on in many kennels because its not guaranteed at all. KC is the only "preventable" disease that insurance companies do NOT insist you vaccinate against and will pay out for.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Tilly has gone into licensed home boarding today & had to have vaccination card & KC vaccine.
We only had the KC vaccine done recently because of boarding otherwise we wouldn't have bothered.
She has had mild KC twice & she is only 2, but both times it was rife in the area! Both times she got over it without anything from the vets but with a little help from children's cough syrup.
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
Tilly has gone into licensed home boarding today & had to have vaccination card & KC vaccine.
We only had the KC vaccine done recently because of boarding otherwise we wouldn't have bothered.
She has had mild KC twice & she is only 2, but both times it was rife in the area! Both times she got over it without anything from the vets but with a little help from children's cough syrup.
Everywhere we go Bingo goes too luckily i have never had to board him we are not ones for hot weather i have never holidayed abroad only in the uk, he had a mild respiratory infection last time kennel cough was doing the rounds this was when he was a pup about 6-8 months old and was given amoxcillin by the vet, how he caught it i don't know as our pet insurance company insist on vaccines including kennel cough are up to date and they want proof we have only claimed once in 4 years, his next vaccines including kennel cough are due in August. what home boarders are you using tillymint as i have regular contact with the sussex dog walker he walks in my woods, i know he home boards as i talk to him and he walks several dogs at a time. Personally if i had to board him i would not allow him to go to anywhere that didnt insist on all preventative treatments.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by SmokeyRabbit View Post
how he caught it i don't know as our pet insurance company insist on vaccines including kennel cough are up to date and they want proof we have only claimed once in 4 years, his next vaccines including kennel cough are due in August.

He caught it because the Kennel Cough vaccine is, as already been posted several times here, not 100% effective.

As a matter of interest what is the name of your insurance company which insists on kennel cough vaccine?
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2011, 10:29 AM
We use direct line.i am only going on what my mums told me as she deals with insurance company as our dog a family pet that we share as I still live with parents as they both have limited mobility one due ti arthritis and the other due to replacement joints which were not as sucessful as they should have been as they were done a few years back.
Galanthophile
New Member!
Female 

15-06-2011, 10:52 AM
You seem to be getting a lot of response to your question. May I just add DO PLEASE BE VERY SURE ABOUT YOUR KENNELS.

Many years ago we boarded a young golden retriever on the recommendation of a close friend. It was agreed that he would also receive some training whilst there (we were a little naive re training at that time, obviously this should be done with the owner)

When my husband went to collect Amicus the owner told him we would never do any good with him - he was a brute. Amicus could not get into the car quickly enough and for some long time was quite disturbed if he so much as saw anyone with a tennis racquet.

Many years later Amicus had to undergo a laparotomy when it was found that his abdominal organs had suffered extensive damage! At first the vet assumed we were responsible but it did not take long to realise where this happened. Amicus had never sustained any injury with us. When a daughter went to nurse at the Radcliffe in Oxford a fellow student who lived in the village where Amicus was boarded told our daughter that this lady was well known for her cruelty to dogs in her charge!!!! EVERYONE DO BEWARE. Hopefully this is very rare..... We have never sent one of our dogs to kennels again.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >