View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 09:14 AM
My last BC did a lot of agility as a youngster and well into his later years, he went on a NSAID at the age of 16, and that was only because I thought he looked a little stiff, he was still very bouncy.
He did a lot, we were competing nearly every weekend from the time he was 18 months.

That being said, we have also had a couple of dogs who were bad. One was competing at a year (when the rules allowed you to start at a year) and by the time she was 6/7 was retired through joint issues. The Jumps were also higher then....
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 10:29 AM
I've competed in agility with Boxers and Beardies none of whom needed any medication for joint problems.

2 Boxers who competed were 10 and 12 when I lost them and were fine joint wise. My Beardie was 14.

I think the main thing is to know your dogs and listen to what they are telling you one of my Boxers was a big lad so when he started running under jumps he was retired and was sound for the rest of his life
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 10:30 AM
I'm sure it does cause more wear on the joints, but most agility dogs I see are fitter and more active for alot longer than most pet dogs I see.

Boomer died last year at nearly 16 years old, it was only his last year that he was a bit stiff, then he had cartrophen injections, glucosimine and chondritin supplements and we were just about to start giving him NSAIDS (after a vet visit the day before he died). He was lightly competed from about 4 years old - 9 years old.

Bertie has just started to show signs of arthritis in his shoulders, he's not on any medication, but I'm going to get him a magnetic collar. He's 13 years old and was competed from 18 months old - 9 years old, the majority of that over 2' 6".

Teagan has shown signs of arthritis in her front legs from new years eve (last), she's had an x-ray that has shown arthritis, she's had cartrophen injections, NSAIDS and glaucosomine and chondritin supplements, she's alot better, I'm going to get her a magnetic collar and we're going to try reducing the NSAIDS, maybe even stop them. She's 10.5 years old and was competed from 18 months old to 8 years old, half of that over 2' 6".

I've seen pet BC's showing signs of arthritis at 7/8 years old.
Always Terriers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-01-2012, 12:20 PM
I'm sure agility does damage a dogs joints but I've known lots of dogs that haven't done agility who also had joint problems from living a normal doggy life.

I've done agility before and would do it again but I'd be much more careful after seeing slow motion videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/BlahGolfIV) falls and bumps that happen fast, dog carries on and you think it was nothing but some are horrific when you see what actually happened.
Always Terriers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by TBBS View Post
I'm sure it does cause more wear on the joints, but most agility dogs I see are fitter and more active for alot longer than most pet dogs I see.
Agree with this bit, there are risks (like doing anything, crossing the road) but lots of benefits too.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 12:36 PM
I am sure it can, but I would say mine would be more at risk with their crazy zoomies in the woods rather than a 30s agility run

You can minimize risks by keeping your dog fit and lean
Don't drill obsessivly and work on your handling so you let the dog know in time where they are going
Looks much tougher on a dogs joints when he takes a jump straight and fast only to realise in mid air you want them to turn, better they know before they jump so they are already turning
I also don't like 2o2o contacts for fast/heavy dogs, puts all his weight on his shoulders
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Could you not argue on the other hand that if you have an athletic dog that is always jumping around anyway, that the risk is going to be there regardless?
I'm with Labradork on this one. I can only comment on my dogs but seeing how they race around on walks, leaping anything in their way, twisting and turning trying to dodge each other and other obstacles then i'm pretty sure every day walks are their biggest risk.

Flynn damaged his knee last year, suspected mildly torn cruciate courtesy of a rabbit hole. I took him back to agility and just a simple jump taken at the wrong angle (wasnt even full height) had him twisting it again so i've taken the decision to quit agility with him. His knee gets stiff and he doesnt sit right anymore or put his full weight on it when standing so I also made the decision not to go ahead with WT training.

Jessie broke her toe chasing a ball. Ok, they arent agility related injuries but i'm just illustrating that stresses and strains are put onto a dogs joints every day if they lead an active lifestyle.

Jed has done agility for 5 years now and is probably the soundest out of all 3!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 04:03 PM
The main thing is to see if those dogs with the injuries actually have poor conformation which contribute to them eg very long or very upright pasterns, steep upper arms etc.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Sadie my GSD has been competing for almost 5 years, she doesnt have any problems that are related to wear and tear or injury specifically from agility.
My other colllies are still relatively young, the amount I train is a small percentage compared to their weekly exercise (1 hours training in a group and maximum 8 runs over a weekend compared to 10-12 hours per week running around like lunatics on walks!).

Ripley did have a ligament tear to her leg last year, which showed itself in an agility run when she knocked every pole (not like her) but im convinced she did it half an hour earlier when she chased a ball and skidded.
I think flyball places much more strain on the joints compared to agility- and owning two dogs with no self preservation skills the thought scares me!)
Jfk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-01-2012, 07:44 PM
I started competing in agility in 1987 and within our family have had 6 competing agility dogs. None of those were ever retired early for joint problems. Dog 1 ( BC )competed to 12 years old and started at 1. Was only trained and competed lightly for the first 3 years. Dog 2 ( BC x GSD )retired after 2 years due to a lack of enjoyment. Dog 3 ( Old English Sheepdog x Retriever ) competed to 10 years old. Was only lightly trained and competed for the first 3 years. Dog 4 ( BC ) nearly 12 and still competing at grade 6. Dog 5 (BC ) still competing at grade 6 at 9.5 years. Dog 6
( BC ) only 5.

All my dogs have done no impact work before 1 year and only the latest started competing at 18 months due to reduction in the height of the jump poles. I do think it is vital to cue turns to reduce the impact on their joints, and really believe in not overworking them at a young age. The last 3 dogs compete nearly every weekend from march to October and have never had an injury from doing agility. They have however from running round the fields like headless chickens.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >