register for free

Dog News

Cyclist injured by 'out of control' dog awarded £65k

I have to admit I have found it worrying about how some people use retractable leads and long leads - especially getting caught with bikes

A cyclist who suffered life-changing injuries when an "out-of-control" dog's lead caught in his spokes has received £65,000 in compensation.

Anthony Steele was hurt when the dog's tether got tangled in his wheel in Heysham, Lancashire, in August 2012.

He suffered fractures to his skull, shoulder and ribs and a permanent loss of hearing in one ear.

The 59-year-old said he made the insurance claim "so people are aware of the dangers of retractable dog leads".
Full story here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-34945382

Your comments and views:
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-12-2015, 10:49 AM
About time it was made public about how dangerous they can be. Poor man, he will suffer for the rest of his life due to a numb dog owner. Whats wrong with training a dog to walk by your side when out on the roads
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-12-2015, 11:35 AM
I read this elsewhere and question how fast he was travelling to sustain those injuries, it was a mixed use path and cyclists should slow right down when passing walkers with or without dogs. I'm not saying the dog walker should not have the dog under control but I do get a bit sick of cyclists thinking they always have right of way. Horse riders don't gallop past so why should cyclists fly past? I've had a few run ins with cyclists but never a Horse rider.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-12-2015, 11:45 AM
Horse riders know what it feels like to have an enormous lorry sweep past them slamming on the air brakes as they go, Isis took off with me one day due to that, luckily all traffic (including the bus behind me) stopped immediately and I was able to stop her. I always get the girls to sit and wait when a horse goes by, live in a very horsey area by the way, and they always thank me.
Even if they were on a mixed use path surely the dog owner would have seen the cyclist and shortened the lead to enable the cyclist to pass.
Then again, cyclist could have come up from behind, and like you say, decided to sweep past.
We do get some cyclists but they do seem to have manners for the most part and thank me when I call the girls back to sit with me whilst they get past.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

05-12-2015, 11:57 AM
From what a local wrote elsewhere the path is 7 metres wide which is over 21 feet wide. The cyclist was training for an event, I think he was going fast, his injuries certainly indicate that he was. The person walking the dog was not the owner but yes he should have been under control but I think if the cyclist wanted to practice for an event he should have done it on the road where traffic moves at speed and not on a multi use footpath. I think he's got a nerve tbh.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-12-2015, 12:01 PM
Agree with that, my mother was a very keen cyclist and one day rode into the back of a car when practising for an event. I asked how on earth she didn't see it, practically dragged the truth out of her, she had her head down basically and wasn't looking,still tried to blame it on the car as well which I found quite disturbing.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

05-12-2015, 12:05 PM
Yeah it's not hard to picture a cyclist doing that is it?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-12-2015, 03:39 PM
No it isn't and my mother was very defensive about it, but I really was appalled at the attitude she had about the parked car.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

05-12-2015, 04:37 PM
While talking about cyclists - one thing I don't get, is when there is a group of them, why do they cycle side-by-side meaning that cars can't overtake them easily causing huge tailbacks :/

I keep meaning to pull over one day to ask why they do it - just trying to understand because it appears to me (as a driver) that it is very inconsiderate.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-12-2015, 04:40 PM
Because cyclists think the road (and footpaths) belong to them and only them
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top