Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
LifeofRylie
New Member!
Female 

09-06-2011, 09:41 PM

Westie diet for itchy skin and feet

Food recommendations for WESTIE with allergies?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 10:05 PM
What has he been diagnosed allergic to?
LifeofRylie
New Member!
Female 

10-06-2011, 12:29 PM
He has atopic dermatitis. I recently stumbled on this website and curious of what other Westies with allergies use.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 12:37 PM
My gsd has atopy and my vet has always said he must always have salmon and potato, because there is something very special in salmon for his skin, which no other food contains, so that's what I do with him. The food has to also be hypoallergenic but of course, most salmon foods are just that. Good luck, this can be quite a nightmare for both of you, so I hope the required food helps or does the trick along with the other meds/potions.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Wafcol Salmon and Potato is usually a good place to start on an elimination diet as it doesn't contain meat, grain etc.

By adding one thing at a time if the dog has no symptoms after being on the food for a while, then adding one item at a time can help identify the areas of intolerance
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Bea had some fur loss on her thigh and was itchy on James well beloved,I switched to Wafcol Salmon & potato and she's great now
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 06:54 AM
Originally Posted by LifeofRylie View Post
He has atopic dermatitis. I recently stumbled on this website and curious of what other Westies with allergies use.

It is a bit difficult to advise you as of course AD is a condition which can have a variety of causes.

If the AD is caused by allergy you really need to determine the allergen(s) involved otherwise you can be chopping and changing to no effect. Not much point in recommending salmon for example if your dog is allergic to salmon!

Salmon does not contain any nutrient that is not contained in any other protein so there is no "magic ingredient" which cannot be provided by another source.

As for the term "hypoallergenic" this is a meaningless term in 99% of cases. It is a label that manufacturers use to try and persuade you that their food will not cause allergies.

This is not true.

It means merely that they have excluded some of the more common ones, not all.

The only TRULY hypoallergenic foods for dogs are those where the protein molecules have been hydrolised so that it is impossible for them to produce an allergic response.

These foods are very expensive such as Hills z/d ultra.

I would start by feeding your dog something it has NEVER eaten before.

Remove all grains.

Add Fish Body Oils about 1000mg per day or even 2000mg, this is very good for skin, brain, heart, eyes and is an anti inflammatory (NOT Cod Liver Oil). (This is probably why Fish Diets work) They contain a lot of Omega 3.
Vitamin E 200 iu per day
Vitamin C 500mg per day

The majority of dogs who have this are triggered by environmental allergens the house dust mite being the most common.

So keeping soft furnishings to the minimum and spraying the house and car with Indorex or Acclaim every six months can help.

HTH
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Yes wafcol salmon & potato a great food plus they do breed bite size foods which is handy

Has your dog got worse recently? One of ours is bad once grass starts to grow, she has grass allergy, that can be hard to avoid totally.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 01:12 PM
My dog was on the Wafcol for a very long time, but I since changed him over to the Fish4Dogs one which he's also doing fine on, plus they do a salmon mousse which is 99.9% pure salmon according to the packet which makes a very good mixer for the kibble. If you find a good hypoallergenic food that your dog likes, then you can always add the Kronch salmon oil to that.