Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fetchmyslippers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2009, 11:54 AM

Which bed for a lab with allergies ?

Hi all,

Once our big soft lump Rocky is more settled (he's only been with us a couple of weeks) I want to get him a new bed. The vet thinks he has some kind of allergy, probably dust mites or pollen , so I want to get a good quality washable bed.

He tends to sprawl out instead of curling up, so a flat style bed will be best (no sides). I don't have a tumble dryer, so something that can hang up to dry in the airing cupboard is a must.

I was thinking of a vet bed or flectabed - any thoughts ? Also, would a separate cover be useful or should I just wash the whole thing regularly ?
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-03-2009, 11:58 AM
I think that a vetbed would be a very good choice as you can wash the whole thing regularly and it dries quickly, and is nice and soft for him.

Probably it will be better than the flectabed as you can only wash the cover of the flectabed, and the 'duvet' part will still accumulate dust and dustmites.

I think anything you can wash regularly will do the trick
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Something like a Tuffies bad may be the answer.

One that is wipe down with warm water , something that does not have the potential to carry dust mites.. or cause alergies by washing powders and such

http://www.tuffies.co.uk/Images/webs...pycopy_000.jpg
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2009, 01:18 PM
My lab Chloe has a dust mite allergy. When its bad she literally tears chunks out of herself cos she's so itchy. This is the bed we recently bought for her which is fantastic. Expensive, but worth every penny:

Its very easy because you just have to wipe any stains/mud off it (its a leather sort of material). Obviously, it doesnt come with the blanket, thats just a thermal one we bought for her cos she's quite a princess

Also, if your dog has a bad dust mite allergy i would advise taking him off dry food if you havent already as the bags are a very common source of dust mites. We have Chloe on a mostly raw diet, but she also has a mixer which is soaked in boiling water and she does fine on that.