View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dee Buzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Thanks Mummy2max! I already have the O'tom, but, as yet, have been unable to keep my pup still long enough to use it! I've added the video clip on tick removal to my "favourites" list, so I can show my husband. maybe he can do the removing whilst I sit on the dog! I'll certainly give him garlic tomorrow...better to prevent than cure.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Apparently (round here anyway) fleas and ticks are becoming immune to frontline, I thought maybe it was just a sales gimmick as I was told by the vet nurse - not my actual vet, but sure enough 2 weeks after being frontlined we had a flea infestation and just the other day one of my cats (indoor only no less! ) aquired a tick and all of them are frontlined to date. Going to ask for advantage next time I think.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 06:26 AM
Originally Posted by Dee Buzby View Post
Oh, and just for the record, vet said ticks should be removed by turning in an ANTI clockwise direction! Anyone else heard of this?
Yes - it is to do with how ticks attach to the skin, by removing them anticlockwise you prevent twisting the head off and thus leaving it embedded in the skin.

Originally Posted by Mummy2Max View Post
Do not try to remove them by pulling them with tweezers, as you could leave the mouth parts behind causing an infection. As others have said also be careful of putting anything on the tick as you could cause it to regurgitate.
You also have to be careful with tweezers not to squeeze too hard - I personally use a tick remover now.

Originally Posted by random View Post
and just the other day one of my cats (indoor only no less! ) aquired a tick and all of them are frontlined to date.
Frontline will not stop them acquiring ticks - it will merely kill them off after they consume the blood.

I tend to give mine Garlic and Fenugreek tablets (from Dorwest) although they do still get the odd tick (one of my boys picked one up from the walk yesterday).
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
I feed fresh garlic..they get 1 clove each 2or 3 times a week (depending on season)
Mine have garlic to Hun.....must be why they don't get bothered by them
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 08:20 AM
I dab with surgical spirit, wait a few minutes then twist (don`t pull) The surgical spirit makes them retract the head so they come away easily.
red collar
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-06-2008, 11:05 AM
there is some useful information on this site

http://www.bada-uk.org/defence/remov...ickremoval.php
tartan1314
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Thanks for all the tips.

I think I will try the garlic and buy the tick removing tool (plus lots of antisceptic!!).

I have a bit of difficulty with some of the things available for getting rid of ticks and fleas in that they are often toxic to cats so I can't use the on my dogs so something natural like garlic is ideal.

Cheers
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

09-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Where we live these b*****s are numerous in the summer months and since we always walk our dogs in the forrest they are always 'collecting' them. I've developed a four phase approach.

First, after a walk I run my hand over their coats and look for ticks that are still trying to get under the fur, lift them off by hand (They won't bite into you if you keep your hand 'open') then squash them.
Second, try to remove them just after they bitten the dog, this is undoubtedly the most difficult time because there's so little to get hold of, but I try because they've not sucked any blood at this stage.

Third is when the b*****s are about half way through their meal, this stage is when there is a danger of them regugitating back into the dog, I find long finger nails help and I haven't had much success with all the tools they make.

Finally, when the tick has fully gorged itself and is now about the size of a large pea it will either drop off or you can remove it with a finger and thumb, it just comes away with no problem.

We use Frontline every month, it won't stop them biting into the dog but seems to kill them before they are too big.

Our dogs have injections for the main disease that ticks carry (encephalitus ?) as do we - the other tick borne disease is IIRC Lymes disease which I'm told has no injection against but is not so serious.

Haven't tried garlic but will add that to me armoury immediately!
Bilclarie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-06-2008, 12:44 PM
lots of good advice but please remember when physically removing a tic turn it anti clockwise other wise you will detach the head from the body, causing a possible infection as the head will still be inbedded in the dog.

Mo and the Gang
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

09-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Bilclarie View Post
please remember when physically removing a tic turn it anti clockwise other wise you will detach the head from the body,
I've seen this advice given before. I'm not quite sure about the science behind it but so far as I'm concerned I have and will continue to use the 'anti-clockwise' technique.

After all it's just as easy to do it this way as the 'clockwise' way so why not do it I put our dogs health first and would hate to make a problem where there was none before.

Oh I forgot to mention I try to always put some anti septic creme on the spot just as a precaution (It's called Septonex over here) I do believe in this stuff and use it on my cuts and grazes too.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >