Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tartan1314
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2008, 07:01 PM

Ticks - best way to get rid

Went away for a few days and my two dogs - Gabby and Dax - came back with a number of ticks. I managed to remove them with tweezers but a couple I didn't spot until later and the dogs both had big lumps where they had been.

Wondered what one of the many flea and tick remedies are best.

Any recommendations?
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 07:09 PM
YOu can get tick removers from most vets..

Feed your dogs garlic which helps deter them
jackiec
New Member!
Female 

08-06-2008, 07:17 PM
My vet has said that you can spray frontline on to the tick, or cover them in vaseline apparently they then can't breathe and fall off. Max has had them frequently, I always try to remove them, tick removing tool or tweezers then loads of antiseptic cream on the area.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

08-06-2008, 08:27 PM
http://www.misotrading.co.uk/

I have posted this link prsviously . This is a great tool to remove them.

I have started giving mine garlic again to help prevent them in the first place, it is a natural way to keep them at bay, as the ticks will land but would suck so long as their is garlic in the dogs bloodstream.
Dee Buzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2008, 08:58 PM
For what it's worth, my vet here in Belgium says use Frontline (put on between the shoulder blades, and let it dry).And DON'T attempt to kill the tick or try and get it to let go...this will only encourage the tick to tighten it's grip.I rather fancy the Vaseline idea myself although I haven't tried it! She says Frontline won't reduce the number of ticks that latch on, but it will stop them from sucking the blood. My 14 week old pup won't stay still long enough for me to remove them, even with that special tick remover which looks like a sewing machine foot! However, the ticks drop off after about 3 days. Still not an ideal solution I know. But at least they can't infect while the dog has Frontline (applied every month.)My pup currently has 3 of the damn things. How do you give the garlic? Does it stop the ticks attaching? Oh, and just for the record, vet said ticks should be removed by turning in an ANTI clockwise direction! Anyone else heard of this? We have loads of ticks in Belgium, (both my daughters had a couple when they were young too), so I'm inclined to think that the vets here are well educated about how to deal with them.Any further info would be greatly appreciated tho!
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

08-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by Dee Buzby View Post
For what it's worth, my vet here in Belgium says use Frontline (put on between the shoulder blades, and let it dry).And DON'T attempt to kill the tick or try and get it to let go...this will only encourage the tick to tighten it's grip.I rather fancy the Vaseline idea myself although I haven't tried it! She says Frontline won't reduce the number of ticks that latch on, but it will stop them from sucking the blood. My 14 week old pup won't stay still long enough for me to remove them, even with that special tick remover which looks like a sewing machine foot! However, the ticks drop off after about 3 days. Still not an ideal solution I know. But at least they can't infect while the dog has Frontline (applied every month.)My pup currently has 3 of the damn things. How do you give the garlic? Does it stop the ticks attaching? Oh, and just for the record, vet said ticks should be removed by turning in an ANTI clockwise direction! Anyone else heard of this? We have loads of ticks in Belgium, (both my daughters had a couple when they were young too), so I'm inclined to think that the vets here are well educated about how to deal with them.Any further info would be greatly appreciated tho!

you give the garlic by by sprinkling over the dinner I should think 1/2 a teaspoon two or 3 times a week would be adequate for a puppy. The tick will land but will not attach itself as it does not like the garlic which is in the dogs bloodstream.

As regards Vaseline -Fudgeley on this forum told me not to use this as it can cause the tick to regurgitate the blood and this in turn could cause the dog to have an infection and since she told me this I have read on some links that this is so, whilst on others they say its okay, so if I were you I would double check this with your vet.
Dee Buzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the speedy reply Lovezois. As much as I hate the ticks I think I'll leave them be until I've got one of those laso removers.It looks better and quicker than the one I have which I find impossible with a hyper veloceraptor near the action.Hopefully my pup will stay still for the few seconds the laso supposedly takes!
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 09:56 PM
I feed fresh garlic..they get 1 clove each 2or 3 times a week (depending on season)
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post

As regards Vaseline -Fudgeley on this forum told me not to use this as it can cause the tick to regurgitate the blood and this in turn could cause the dog to have an infection and since she told me this I have read on some links that this is so, whilst on others they say its okay, so if I were you I would double check this with your vet.
Yes I have been told this also by my vet.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Use a good treatment regularly, be it frontline, advantix (personally I think this is the best one for ticks) or similar.

Do not try to remove them by pulling them with tweezers, as you could leave the mouth parts behind causing an infection. As others have said also be careful of putting anything on the tick as you could cause it to regurgitate.

I would advise that you invest in a tick removing tool such as an O'Tom http://www.otom.com/homepage.htm
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >