Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Aubrey Graham
New Member!
Male 

25-06-2016, 05:51 AM

How i can give medicine to my dog?

Hello friends My dog name is Leo and he is German shepherd .
From last many days he is not well . He is walking very badly. Doctor told me that he has a injury on his back foot. He gave me a spray and medicines but my doggy have not taken a single medicine. I have given him medicines in chicken balls also ,but he always recognize it. Please suggest me a solution for it.
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2016, 08:46 AM
Hi there.

Meat paste on sandwiches always works for me. Slap the tablet in the middle. Cut it into bite sizes chunks. Toss a few at the dog without tabs in. If your dog is like any of my dogs in the end he'll be so excited at his little meaty sandwiches he'll gulp them. Then stick your tablet in a random chunk and voila!

Good luck

Em x
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2016, 11:56 AM
Meat paste as suggested above or cheese slices scrunched up around the tablet. Both options fully encase and stick to the tablet so it's harder for the dog to detect. If that doesn't work, try crushing the tablets between two spoons and putting the resulting powder into meat paste or cheese slice
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-06-2016, 12:38 PM
We do fish paste, stinky stuff but the dogs love it, roll it into a ball with the tablet inside and down the hatch it goes.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2016, 03:19 PM
Do you only have the one dog? I have two GSDs and a BC. One of my German shepherds is very suspicious and knows immediately when I am trying to administer a pill - or even liquid medicine. I find the method likely to work SOME of the time is to have the pill encased in something yummy (I have even been known to pull open a raw sausage and then fry it so it "seals" the pill inside) and then make the three dogs sit in front of me while I dole out various non-pill infused goodies and then pop the hidden pill yummy to the correct dog in the midst. Having the competition of the others does seem to help some of the time ... not all though.

The other method I find to work is to crush any pill into a powder and sprinkle it into some kind of wet food.

Good luck. I feel your pain.
Aubrey Graham
New Member!
Male 

28-06-2016, 06:09 AM
Thank you so much my friend. I tried this , in the beginning he just smell it and than he just sat in the corner . But after many time he eated it. He did not swallow it and just split it out.
Aubrey Graham
New Member!
Male 

28-06-2016, 06:13 AM
Thank you so much . Yes you are right i am very upset and frustrated with him . Buying another German shepherd also next month . Suggest me a good name too.
Aubrey Graham
New Member!
Male 

28-06-2016, 06:14 AM
Thanks for your advise
Aubrey Graham
New Member!
Male 

29-06-2016, 05:51 AM
I am purchasing a new puppy. I will give him name Oscar. My favorite actor is Leo Nardo Dicaprio. Now he has Oscar. I have mine Oscar. I searched from here many names but this is final.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-06-2016, 08:20 AM
if your dog wont take his tablets in any of the above ways, the other solution is (what i have to do ) is open the dogs mouth put the tablet (with your fingers) down the back of the throat (as far as you can) then close the mouth holding it shut and stroke the underside of his jaw /throat till he swallows, it goes without saying you have to be confident to do this.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >