Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kitkatsox
New Member!
Female 

20-06-2016, 07:04 PM

New puppy

Hi I have a new puppy he's been with me 10 days so I have 4 days left on no quibble return option of contract. This wouldn't even be a consideration except puppy seems to have a skin allergy.

He scratches until he's crying, I've taken to vets he says no sign of fleas and said I should try tigi watermelon shampoo I've done that - no change - breeder said I should give him half a piriton tablet, done that - no change. Puppy also has a permanently dry nose, naïvely I thought I was getting a perfect puppy in the fact he was pedigree but it would seem with this allergy there are likely to be many vet bills before we determine what it is.

Please don't hate me for this comment but if he was inanimate I would of returned as faulty. I adore him but I'm also being realistic by keeping him I think I'm signing up for a whole host of vet bills that I can't claim for and he was an expensive puppy £1300.

Does anyone have any good advice?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-06-2016, 07:29 PM
What breed is he?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

20-06-2016, 08:07 PM
If it's a soft coated Wheaten as in your profile a quick google will list the allergies they are prone to and forums with people discussing the issues at length.

I've never heard of a 14 day no quibble return option tbh.
Kitkatsox
New Member!
Female 

20-06-2016, 08:32 PM
Not sure how that comes under good advice! Did you read thread properly?

Identifying the source and best treatment for canine skin allergy is a frequent problem that often requires multiple trips to the veterinarian!!!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

20-06-2016, 08:38 PM
Take it or leave it, point is I found a whole host of allergy problems in a breed I know nothing about in a matter of seconds while trying to watch the footy. I would have thought a buyer would have researched any health issues before deciding on a specific breed especially if as you say you don't want endless vet visits. Unfortunately if you search the net you will find owners posting about endless issues with allergies.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2016, 09:04 PM
The only way to find the source of an allergy, is vet testing. That, in itself, is not always straightforward or easy.

No one can advise you on whether or not to return your puppy. Only you can decide that.

The dry nose? My old boy very rarely had a wet nose. He lived to be 16
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

20-06-2016, 09:08 PM
My Boxer always had a dry nose too and lived to be 13 a great age for a Boxer.
The point is there is no way you will get to the bottom of the itching in 3 days. Even if it's identified, not always easy the treatment needs time to work and that can take weeks at best.
Kitkatsox
New Member!
Female 

21-06-2016, 09:03 AM
Thank you - sincerely

P
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The only way to find the source of an allergy, is vet testing. That, in itself, is not always straightforward or easy.

No one can advise you on whether or not to return your puppy. Only you can decide that.

The dry nose? My old boy very rarely had a wet nose. He lived to be 16
Kitkatsox
New Member!
Female 

21-06-2016, 09:04 AM
Thank you I appreciate what you've said
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2016, 07:04 AM
Hello, Firstly have you asked the breeder if any of the other pups in the litter have the same problem? Then have you asked the vet for a skin scraping to rule out mites of any sort. One of my pups years ago had mites but her sister didn't so it may not show in the other pups. But it is worth asking for both of these to rule them out. Hope you get to the bottom of it. If no joy you could try shampoo with coconut oil in it. As to cost of vet treatment most pups from a good breeder come with usually insurance of some kind. As a rule 6 weeks from pet plan or similar.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >