Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fishstick
New Member!
Male 

01-06-2016, 08:09 PM

Checking Dog Temperature

Hey folks, I'm new here and I think I might have a dilemma.

My dog hasn't been acting right here lately and I figured I'd take his temperature. Since I couldn't find my tried and true red mercury thermometer, I grabbed my digital meat thermometer. It was thinner than the other one, but the pointy tip on the end might have done something (I have a picture of it attached).

Since the old hound is a Border Collie mix and kinda long, I was able to get half of it in there before he started fighting me. Luckily, I was able to hold him down without losing grip of the thermometer, but I noticed he whimpered when I got the rest of the thermometer up in there. When I pulled it out, there was some blood on almost half the thermometer stick.

His temp read 89 degrees Fahrenheit, so I'm gonna have to take his temp again here soon, but here's my question. Ever since I've got the first reading, he's been lying on the floor whimpering and I'm on my second towel getting the blood soaked up from his poor hind end. Could he just be out of it or should I take him to the vet to get looked at?
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	digital-meat-thermometer-1079281-regular.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	5057  
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-06-2016, 08:18 PM
Are you for real?
Fishstick
New Member!
Male 

01-06-2016, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Are you for real?
Yes ma'am! In fact, I just got done with my second attempt and he didn't fight much. I think my thermometer is broke, because the reading wasn't that far off from the first time! Blasted thing.

I guess I'll just wait till morning and see if he'll perk up. At least the blood is slowing down. I'll have to treat him right tonight with some good canned food
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

01-06-2016, 08:22 PM
Take him to the vet now, you've probably perforated his bowel and waiting till morning could prove fatal.
Fishstick
New Member!
Male 

01-06-2016, 08:40 PM
Take him to the vet now, you've probably perforated his bowel and waiting till morning could prove fatal.
What? Are you serious?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

01-06-2016, 08:44 PM
Of course I'm serious. Why did you think it ok to use a meat thermometer?
Where do you think the blood is coming from?
I'm sorry I can't believe any sane person would do this, taking a temperature isn't that important.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-06-2016, 08:51 PM
I doubt this person can be real, who in their right mind would use a meat thermometer, would you do that to a child,plus the temperature quoted is completely out.
Fishstick
New Member!
Male 

01-06-2016, 08:52 PM
Of course I'm serious. Why did you think it ok to use a meat thermometer?
Where do you think the blood is coming from?
I'm sorry I can't believe any sane person would do this, taking a temperature isn't that important.
Well, I'll be honest with ya. I looked on the YouTubes and found a video saying any ole thermometer would do, so that's how I got to where I'm at. But let me finish my drink and take bubby to the vet since I still have time.

I hope I didn't hurt him, I know I ruined his left ear by using my kids otoscope too deep in his ear, because I was trying to get a tick out. Talk about one heck of a fuss he put up!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

01-06-2016, 08:56 PM
Tbh I think you're a troll.
If the story is true which I doubted from the start, you'd already be on the way to the vet.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-06-2016, 09:05 PM
Nope do not believe you would have another drink (having possibly already had several) before getting your dog to a vet at 10pm at night when they are not open 24/7 and then casually mentioning in passing you've already damaged his ear.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >