Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HannaDay
New Member!
Female 

07-08-2011, 06:04 PM

Separation Anxiety

I have 2 weimaraners and they both suffer from separation anxiety, i know it's a characteristic of the breed but i wondered if anybody knew of any solutions. oh it's only when we shut them in a room when we're still in the house never when there left when we go out if that makes sense.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by HannaDay View Post
I have 2 weimaraners and they both suffer from separation anxiety, i know it's a characteristic of the breed but i wondered if anybody knew of any solutions. oh it's only when we shut them in a room when we're still in the house never when there left when we go out if that makes sense.
Having owned several of the breed I would challenge the assertion that SA is a characteristic of the breed; it is not.

Can you explain why you believe your dogs suffer from SA; and what behaviour they exhibit when shut in a room away from you whilst you are there?

If your dogs do not suffer from SA in your absence, it is highly unlikely they are suffering from SA in your presence.

It is highly likely that they are a bit miffed.......
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Sounds more like barrier frustration, or being miffed as SB says
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Weimeraners are highly active, intelligent dogs. Do you think they might be bored?
Why do you need to shut them up and how long are they there?
HannaDay
New Member!
Female 

07-08-2011, 06:32 PM
It has been linked to the breed but the first weimaraner we had Kai didn't have any sign of SA but Now we have Zak and Ashe who can't be together because they fight which works out fine because Ashe is mine and Zak is my dad's but ever since we got Ashe who i rescued when he was 6 months old who had been living in a cramped cage for most of his 6 months.

roughly a year after we got Ashe suddenly neither Ashe nor Zak don't like being left on there own when they know people are in the house and we've tried leaving a radio or the TV on they still bark and it's now starting to become abit of a pain and it's not like they''re being left that long usually 10 minutes while i make myself a drink,food go to the loo or talk to my mum/dad etc
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 06:35 PM
It has been linked to the breed but the first weimaraner we had Kai didn't have any sign of SA but Now we have Zak and Ashe who can't be together because they fight which works out fine because Ashe is mine and Zak is my dad's but ever since we got Ashe who i rescued when he was 6 months old who had been living in a cramped cage for most of his 6 months.

roughly a year after we got Ashe suddenly neither Ashe nor Zak don't like being left on there own when they know people are in the house and we've tried leaving a radio or the TV on they still bark and it's now starting to become abit of a pain and it's not like they''re being left that long usually 10 minutes while i make myself a drink,food go to the loo or talk to my mum/dad etc
This is not SA it is attention seeking.

Where is your Spaniel x Weimaraner pup and Springer during this time?

What do you do when they bark, do you open the door when they are barking so they have learned that barking works?
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
This is not SA it is attention seeking.

Where is your Spaniel x Weimaraner, during this time?

What do you do when they bark, do you open the door when they are barking so they have learned that barking works?
Agreed. There may also be an element of the two dogs competing for the attention.
HannaDay
New Member!
Female 

07-08-2011, 06:50 PM
The SpringerxWeimaraner pup is usually in with Ashe and Rubie the springer is usually in with Zak so it's not like they are left on there own but the girls can wander around where they like, i don't think i've been very clear, the 2 weimaraners fight so they are never toghethor but the springer and springer cross pup can pick and choose where they go, Zak is usually with my mum and the springer is usually with him because shes more calm so Zak tolerates her more than the pup and Ashe and the pup are usually with me, there usually only ever shut in when we swap the 2 weimaraners around but either one is usually with someone they only start barking when they are shut in the room alone Ashe is usually worse than Zak but when we go out theres no problem because they know we're going out.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 06:53 PM
The SpringerxWeimaraner pup is usually in with Ashe and Rubie the springer is usually in with Zak so it's not like they are left on there own but the girls can wander around where they like, i don't think i've been very clear, the 2 weimaraners fight so they are never toghethor but the springer and springer cross pup can pick and choose where they go, Zak is usually with my mum and the springer is usually with him because shes more calm so Zak tolerates her more than the pup and Ashe and the pup are usually with me, there usually only ever shut in when we swap the 2 weimaraners around but either one is usually with someone they only start barking when they are shut in the room alone Ashe is usually worse than Zak but when we go out theres no problem because they know we're going out.

It is not a problem when you are out because they know the barking does not work......... the barking only works when you are there, so that is why they do it.

Dogs do what works.

So, you need to alone train them in the rooms whilst you are there which means only opening the door when they are quiet and thus reinforcing quietness and if you feed also, this will increase the likelihood of silence.........
HannaDay
New Member!
Female 

07-08-2011, 06:53 PM
oh and no we don't open the door straight away we finish what we're doing like making tea/coffee etc so it's only for like 5-10 minutes but during the time either one who has been shut in barks constantly but it's also usually only during the day which makes sense because they are usually more active,
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >