View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 05:41 AM
I have fed raw in years gone by but two dogs I had back then suffered itching, one in particular had savage hotspots too.

All mine now are fed Chappie and green tripe with a small amount of Chappie mix, I have no problems, thier coats are extrememly heathly, there is not fallout poos and they thrive weightwise....

And Reah in particular who has liver probs thrives with Chappie
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 05:48 AM
Mine are fed mainly raw, with a little Butchers dog food added for variety. When I first started it some years ago, Lennon and (then) Mya had an adverse reaction to chicken wings.

As Bunnie was raw fed and eats the same as Len, I'm going to try a chicken wing each this weekend and see how it goes. Also, some cheap lamb chops from Iceland go down a treat.

Sticking to what you know, for me, is fine, but they get little variety, so I would like to add more.

However, if it doesn't work, it'll be dropped.

As others have said, it's what suits your dog.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by chaos View Post
IMO the whole Raw thing been done to death
Can I ask what you mean by "done to death"? I'm presuming you feel it's overly pushed onto people or something? As someone who feeds raw, it is something I recommend because I find it works well but I don't feel that everyone should be pushed to do it if they're not confident enough, and I do believe that it needs a little research. However, many people will push a particular brand or type of dry or wet commercial food too. People like to recommend something they have personal, positive experience with. I know Burns was heavily recommended when it first came out, before Orijen, F4D etc. yet the dogs I've tried on it didn't suit it at all. Does this mean people shouldn't recommend it? No, as you said, find what works for your dog, but I wouldn't dismiss something because it seemed to get too many good ratings to be true.

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
The only problem I have ever had with regard to feeding raw is the possibility of bacterial contamination of surfaces. .
I have this issue with my brother's girlfriend who lives with us, she is constantly going on about how unhygienic it is. However, she cooks meat for herself and my brother, what's the difference? I have a box I keep the raw in to defrost, away from the main kitchen counters. I wash my hands even after rifling in the freezer when I've just been touching the outside of the bags, the dogs get fed bones outside, other meals are in the kitchen where the floor is tiled so I can spray some cleaner and wipe it up, or mop the whole floor. Yes, it takes a little more effort than putting kibble in a bowl but less effort than cooking mince for ourselves where we'll have various utensils that have touched raw meat, different pots and pans, all things we'll use again to cook or eat different meals from.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Can I ask what you mean by "done to death"? I'm presuming you feel it's overly pushed onto people or something? As someone who feeds raw, it is something I recommend because I find it works well but I don't feel that everyone should be pushed to do it if they're not confident enough, and I do believe that it needs a little research. However, many people will push a particular brand or type of dry or wet commercial food too. People like to recommend something they have personal, positive experience with. I know Burns was heavily recommended when it first came out, before Orijen, F4D etc. yet the dogs I've tried on it didn't suit it at all. Does this mean people shouldn't recommend it? No, as you said, find what works for your dog, but I wouldn't dismiss something because it seemed to get too many good ratings to be true.

I have this issue with my brother's girlfriend who lives with us, she is constantly going on about how unhygienic it is. However, she cooks meat for herself and my brother, what's the difference? I have a box I keep the raw in to defrost, away from the main kitchen counters. I wash my hands even after rifling in the freezer when I've just been touching the outside of the bags, the dogs get fed bones outside, other meals are in the kitchen where the floor is tiled so I can spray some cleaner and wipe it up, or mop the whole floor. Yes, it takes a little more effort than putting kibble in a bowl but less effort than cooking mince for ourselves where we'll have various utensils that have touched raw meat, different pots and pans, all things we'll *use again to cook or eat different meals from.
Have to say im a bit paranoid even cooking meat & poultry for ourselves, not i might add that we eat much. Too many scares with poultry over the years. We had a vet who said she would never eat chicken - she believed it was all contaminated.
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2011, 09:09 AM
Feeding the wrong type of bones & too many recreational bones can damage/wear down the teeth.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Have to say im a bit paranoid even cooking meat & poultry for ourselves, not i might add that we eat much. Too many scares with poultry over the years. We had a vet who said she would never eat chicken - she believed it was all contaminated.
Contaminated with what?
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2011, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I've been feeding Rocky RAW for about 6 months now, but have just recently stopped.
  • Rocky was loosing weight - there was plenty of food down for him but he just didn't want to eat as much.
  • He was getting (occasional) diarrhoea - I'm guessing it was a combination of red meat and just raw meat in general.
  • He had 'down days'/low energy days - although at first I put this down to his cancer.
  • His tummy would often gurgle - bit like what we get when we have an upset stomach

Do you think you may have been feeding to much red meat as that can cause diarrhoea and not enough fat and bone to balance it. The meat could be going through the digestive system to quickly without enough roughage to slow it down(fat bone and skin) Fat is the best source of energy for a dog not meat which is primarily used for wear and tear.

Source: BBC Horizon
This site is aimed at humans not dogs who have a different digestive system. Providing your dog doesn't have any health issues raw mean is easier for a dog to digest than for a human and cooking damages enzymes need to extract nutrients.

Cooking insoluble fibrous veg. does aid breaking down plant cells easing digestion or it will exit the same as it entered.

Cooking starchy foods sufficiently is needed to break the starch down into sugars for dogs as they don't have adequate enzymes for this process.(the reason for lots of problems with cereals).

I must add getting a raw diet balanced within a correct range is more of a problem than the idea of raw feeding.

One size does not fit all so each individual has to find what they can manage to best suit there own dogs.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-06-2011, 09:28 AM
I dont feed raw , because it simply is not convenient for me.. thats the main reason , but I also take the view that my dogs have always done well on the kibble I feed, their coats/skin have always looked healthy, they thrive, , keep a good weight , so my philosophy is "if it ain't broke , dont fix it"!.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Contaminated with what?
The way poultry was kept & fed.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
The way poultry was kept & fed.
But would this not still be an issue in any commercial food using chicken or chicken derivatives, not really a raw-specific issue (and in raw there's the option to not feed any poultry, whereas many commercial foods may add chicken fat or derivatives to food, or use "animal derivates" so you can't tell whether/how much chicken is in it)
Page 2 of 56 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 52 > Last »