Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by dogdragoness View Post
Because they don't know any better I guess. I never said that I didn't think what he was doing was right, its not (& yes I have tried shock collars oj myself as an experiment & yes... They hurt like hell & I just had it strapped to my wrist. Can't imagine what it would have felt like if I would have had it on my neck & pressed the button... Yikes & I'm not a wise about pain, I have tattoos.).

Poor cm, I really do feel for him in a way, because he is living in ignorance which hurts not only him but the dogs he works with, have Also noticed that he is rougher with others dogs then his own.
You don`t know that. You see only what edited footage is shown. Do you think his behaviour off camera is better or worse than when he has an audience?
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
mm I can understand what you are saying, but as to how ignorant he is of what he is doing
I really am not so sure
enough people have tried to explain to him but he just ignores them

I am glad that lately he did some work with more positive trainers. I hope he does learn better ways to do things

But while there is still access for people to watch and follow his barbaric methods then i will speak out against him
When I started watching MIllan, I always said he was simply ignorant and not malicious. That has changed.

Initially I assumed that because he had limited education that he was simply ignorant and because of socio-economic legacy he used violence to control the dogs. But he's been doing it for years and in he seem to be aware of his many detractors and their position.

So while he started off as simply ignorant, he is now intentionally malicious. He doesn't care because changing his 'alpha' message would affect his business and profit and he is not willing to do that.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Promethean View Post
When I started watching MIllan, I always said he was simply ignorant and not malicious. That has changed.

Initially I assumed that because he had limited education that he was simply ignorant and because of socio-economic legacy he used violence to control the dogs. But he's been doing it for years and in he seem to be aware of his many detractors and their position.

So while he started off as simply ignorant, he is now intentionally malicious. He doesn't care because changing his 'alpha' message would affect his business and profit and he is not willing to do that.
I find your logic flawed and odd.

Why would a limited education equal lack of awareness re the ethics of physical behaviour?
Your post does come over as snobbish and condescending.
It reads like you are saying if you are poor and of limited schooling, you therefore would not have the ability to possess empathy or understand right from wrong.

And i dont get the idea that just because he has hung onto belief in his methods despite all the campaigns and information thrown at him, he is therefore deliberately malicious.
Could it just not be he simply doesnt agree with what these other people say?
And he actually believes what he believes?
I think this says more about your own psychology.
As in you cannot get your head around someone not just doing what cesar milan does, but actually believing in it and believing it is right.
When people tend to struggle with the notion that pomeone could actually beleive in a thing that they find simply beyond their comfort zone/not in their radar/politically incorrect, they then tend to comfort themselves by saying that person must be holding onto such and such belief because they are mad/bad/doing it as a wind up/just doing it for the money/etc/etc.
That is a lot easier to process than the idea the person is an otherwsie reasonable human being whom genuinely believes in what they believe or are doing.

I do find CM's training cruel.
But i believe he believes it
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post

Why would a limited education equal lack of awareness re the ethics of physical behaviour?
Violence is the most direct and default approach of many people when trying to deal with animals or change their behaviour. Secondly, Millan has also spoken about the difference in the way dogs are treated in Mexico and US. Finally, since he learned his 'craft' in the dog grooming business he had not time to train, rather the had to force compliance by force for 2 reasons; 1) time 2) he didn't know any better way.

If you had read properly, I write that he doesn't care because he is only interested in money. It's the lie people like him have to tell themselves and even they don't really believe it.

You cannot be a reasonable human being if your positions and opinions did not arise from reason and facts. So, in that way, Millan cannot be considered reasonable. In many ways, Millan's defenders sound very much like the asbestos industry talking heads who refused to accept the adverse affects of their product even when confronted by the evidence. Or creationists insisting that science has got it wrong and the world really is 6000 years old. In none of the cases can the position be called reasonable.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 08:29 PM
It has probably been said before but -

If that is what he is willing to do in public and on screen, what is he willing to do when no-one is watching!!!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by Promethean View Post
Violence is the most direct and default approach of many people when trying to deal with animals or change their behaviour. Secondly, Millan has also spoken about the difference in the way dogs are treated in Mexico and US. Finally, since he learned his 'craft' in the dog grooming business he had not time to train, rather the had to force compliance by force for 2 reasons; 1) time 2) he didn't know any better way.

this still doesnt explain your logic poor and limited schooling = ignorance of right and wrong?
in the UK such theories are described as 'snobbish

If you had read properly, I write that he doesn't care because he is only interested in money. It's the lie people like him have to tell themselves and even they don't really believe it.

I did read that. Its still the same as what i wrote.
It is easier to believe he is mad/bad/on a wind up/in it for the money/whatever.
Its a comfort fallback position for those whom cannot just get their heads around the fact someone else may believe in something that they could not accept that another person could genuinely believe in such or such a thing.

You cannot be a reasonable human being if your positions and opinions did not arise from reason and facts. So, in that way, Millan cannot be considered reasonable.

Incorrect. He could be a reasonable human being in many other areas of his life and behaviour.
We dont just have one area in our lives,
But he happens to beleive in one thing that isnt reasonable.
Again, to deny this truth is is merely a self comforting fallback position for the opponent whom just cannot get his or head around the notion that someone would actually beleive in "such a thing".

In many ways, Millan's defenders sound very much like the asbestos industry talking heads who refused to accept the adverse affects of their product even when confronted by the evidence. Or creationists insisting that science has got it wrong and the world really is 6000 years old. In none of the cases can the position be called reasonable.
I agree. I would not regard those postions as reaosnable, I never posted that CM's position on dog training was reasonable, Ii said he can hold that unreasonable position and still be a reasonable human being whom genuinely beleives what he believes in.
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post

Your post does come over as snobbish and condescending.
It reads like you are saying if you are poor and of limited schooling, you therefore would not have the ability to possess empathy or understand right from wrong.

And i dont get the idea that just because he has hung onto belief in his methods despite all the campaigns and information thrown at him, he is therefore deliberately malicious.
Could it just not be he simply doesnt agree with what these other people say?
And he actually believes what he believes?
I think this says more about your own psychology.
As in you cannot get your head around someone not just doing what cesar milan does, but actually believing in it and believing it is right.
When people tend to struggle with the notion that pomeone could actually beleive in a thing that they find simply beyond their comfort zone/not in their radar/politically incorrect, they then tend to comfort themselves by saying that person must be holding onto such and such belief because they are mad/bad/doing it as a wind up/just doing it for the money/etc/etc.
That is a lot easier to process than the idea the person is an otherwsie reasonable human being whom genuinely believes in what they believe or are doing.

I do find CM's training cruel.
But i believe he believes it
I agree, I have only a high school education & I do not come from a rich family but I do not believe that I'm ignorant & I do take mild offence to that.

Claire>> I don't know if he is really meaner to his dogs off camera but judging what he does on others dogs I don't know why he would restrain himself with his own dogs since its clear he doesn't with his clients. IMO it should be the other way around.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
You haven`t read the comments on the videos, have you?

Try watching this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi3ve...eature=related
omg look how much pain that dog is in when he was shocked and the thing is, even after the first time, the dog was trying its best to avoid the cat box and he forced the dog to try and get past then shocked it again!and again! (and of course the cat is howling away as it dosnt want to cornered ina box with the dog in its face.....)

but who actually needs anyone to come into the home and tell them anything for that problem? I mean, common sense...
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
but who actually needs anyone to come into the home and tell them anything for that problem? I mean, common sense...
People who would apparently flock to this forum's most recent persona non grata perhaps? There's a market for it.
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by dogdragoness View Post
I agree, I have only a high school education & I do not come from a rich family but I do not believe that I'm ignorant & I do take mild offence to that.

Claire>> I don't know if he is really meaner to his dogs off camera but judging what he does on others dogs I don't know why he would restrain himself with his own dogs since its clear he doesn't with his clients. IMO it should be the other way around.
watch a clip/episode that features Junior, you can see the fear in that poor dog from the minute CM looks at him, so i believe he is just as harsh with his own dogs
Page 12 of 49 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »