View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2010, 12:14 PM

How often is too often for agility practice?

I've got another agility class tomorrow, so that'll be my 3rd since last Wednesday, but is that too much for a young dog (19 months old) please? If so, then I'll cancel tomorrow's and book one for the following Wednesday! Thanks! My class lasts anything from 40 mins to an hour, but I can make it shorter perhaps?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2010, 01:36 PM
It depends really
You are building muscles too, I cant rem but if they put the jumps up too high too quick then you can overdo it
I know the work I have done with mine when the other dog havent turned up in class and we are on a one to one an hour is a very long time, I would go with little and often, 30 min twice a week sounds good
Also remember and keep it fun and have breaks for playing

I wouldnt say Wed would be a prob but you know your dog
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Have I missed something?! You're doing agility now!? Jealous!!! I'm guessing there is a thread about this somewhere... Off to find it now!

See, I go offline for a week (or so...) and I miss everything!

Sarah xoxox
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
It depends really
You are building muscles too, I cant rem but if they put the jumps up too high too quick then you can overdo it
I know the work I have done with mine when the other dog havent turned up in class and we are on a one to one an hour is a very long time, I would go with little and often, 30 min twice a week sounds good
Also remember and keep it fun and have breaks for playing

I wouldnt say Wed would be a prob but you know your dog
Thanks BenMc, I think Zena's keen enough, but because she's enjoying it so much, I didn't want to overtask her so to speak, so she gets bored with it, but I very much doubt that! Sunday's lesson was quite short compared to the hour last Wednesday, so I suppose my trainer thought she ought to cut it shorter perhaps. The jumps have only ever been half way up at the end, but to start off with, we always have them on the lowest cup. Oh, and that A-frame WAS at it's highest she said, BUT, she had moved it on Sunday so that it was facing down the slope and she said everybody thought it looked lower heading down the slope!! Don't know about that dog walk, that looked pretty low to me, at my shoulder height? (I'm 5ft 7") whereas the pictures I saw of somebody's class put up on here last week with the NI it was much higher than that I think, it would have been way above my head?

Originally Posted by Sarah & Mike View Post
Have I missed something?! You're doing agility now!? Jealous!!! I'm guessing there is a thread about this somewhere... Off to find it now!

See, I go offline for a week (or so...) and I miss everything!

Sarah xoxox
Lol Sarah, you'd have a very hard job keeping up with me even if you went off t'internet for 2 days let alone a whole week!!! I'm like Zena, I've got zooomieitis, and I think even Georgie's got it now!!! xxxx