Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 02:41 PM

Basic Agility Rules?

There is fun agility show in early January and I'm thinking about entering our 3.

(Ben McFuzz - are you going?)

I've already checked that the dogs don't need to be registered or officially measured - you can run whatever height you want, which means that Hoki can come too

I'd only be going for a bit of fun and to try out the full size equipment (we train on a smaller A-Frame and dog walk).

But my worry is, because we never train for competition, I don't know half the rules. Things like:

is it right that you can't take treats into the ring with you? (not that I lure the dogs round, but I usually have some in one pocket or another!)
Does that also apply to toys and if so, all toys, or only certain types?

Is there something about not touching your dog during the course? If so, what happens (e.g. in Tips case) if the dog gets excited and jumps up at you?

What other basic but essential things are there to know please?
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 06:41 PM
dont think about it..do it!!!!

On the schedule there should be indivdual rules for that show as its not governed by the kennel club some rules vary..but here are the basics..

No food allowed in the ring(under kennel club rules food is allowed in the pocket if secured) but most smaller organizations and shows ban food totally- though how someone will know food is in your pocket i dont know

No touching of the dog, though accidental touching, eg the dog jumping up, should go unpenalized.

Some shows allow a silent toy in the ring in the beginner classes but you will have to check with the individual show for that one(kc dont)

Usually required is either no collar or if they wear one then it should be flat fitting with no attachments..this includes id tags and not half choke etc.

erm, thats all i can think of off the top of my head but if you have any more Q's i'll try and answer them!!

Oh..is there any way you could have a go at the full size equipment in training just once or twice..some dogs get a bit of vertigo the first time on the high dog walk
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Hey there
If its the clear run then (hangover willing) I will be there
If it is then the rules are more flexable - you can run your dog at any height you want and I think a toy is OK in the ring - but you can check before hand

The venue is a horse centre and is totaly lovely with a bar and cafe on site, but because of the floor surface there are (or were last year) no weaves - which is great for me cos Ben has now turned into a nutt who gets so excited he headbuts the weaves

I hope its the same one!! Would be great to see you and its a fun show with not too many dogs

There is also usualy a training ring where you can get a chance to run your dog for 1 min going wherever you want - so they could get a chance on the dogwalk and stuff

For KC rules you are also not supposed to have ANY dogs there that are not registered for the KC and for the day of the comp - even non compeating ones!

Also (as a guy in my club found out) you are not alowed to interact with the equipment - including jumping the tunnel or running through the weaves (yup he did both)
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
dont think about it..do it!!!!

On the schedule there should be indivdual rules for that show as its not governed by the kennel club some rules vary..but here are the basics..

No food allowed in the ring(under kennel club rules food is allowed in the pocket if secured) but most smaller organizations and shows ban food totally- though how someone will know food is in your pocket i dont know

No touching of the dog, though accidental touching, eg the dog jumping up, should go unpenalized.

Some shows allow a silent toy in the ring in the beginner classes but you will have to check with the individual show for that one(kc dont)

Usually required is either no collar or if they wear one then it should be flat fitting with no attachments..this includes id tags and not half choke etc.

erm, thats all i can think of off the top of my head but if you have any more Q's i'll try and answer them!!

Oh..is there any way you could have a go at the full size equipment in training just once or twice..some dogs get a bit of vertigo the first time on the high dog walk
Thanks Hun, that's very useful..I had forgotten about the collar one - must admit we do have tags on ours and don't take them off at training (though only flat collars are allowed).

Unfortunately not re the equipment - as its only a fun club we go to, they don't have the full size A-frame and dog walk. Its a good point though, perhaps we're not ready to try it at that kind of event.

The thing is I really like our club - there is a good atmosphere, the dogs enjoy it (well still not sure about Stumpy, sometimes she really does, others not) and its fairly convenient. The other clubs in the area are all mega-competitive and altough I've never been the people I know who have haven't enjoyed them at all.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Hey there
If its the clear run then (hangover willing) I will be there
If it is then the rules are more flexable - you can run your dog at any height you want and I think a toy is OK in the ring - but you can check before hand

The venue is a horse centre and is totaly lovely with a bar and cafe on site, but because of the floor surface there are (or were last year) no weaves - which is great for me cos Ben has now turned into a nutt who gets so excited he headbuts the weaves

I hope its the same one!! Would be great to see you and its a fun show with not too many dogs

There is also usualy a training ring where you can get a chance to run your dog for 1 min going wherever you want - so they could get a chance on the dogwalk and stuff

For KC rules you are also not supposed to have ANY dogs there that are not registered for the KC and for the day of the comp - even non compeating ones!

Also (as a guy in my club found out) you are not alowed to interact with the equipment - including jumping the tunnel or running through the weaves (yup he did both)
Great thanks Hun - it is the clear run one.

I had just decided that maybe we wouldn't go, but reading your post I've changed my mind back again. OH just had a big smile on his face when you said no weaves as Hoki is a bit inconsistent - she won't slow down and sometimes runs out. Tip is even worse at them but I'll still keep practicing just in case they work out how to have some this year.

'Interacting' with the equipment is something OH does from time to time - well he sometimes gets in the position of either having to fall over the equipment or Hoki

I'm really looking forward to it now
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Cool thats great!
LOL I seem to have a gravitational attraction for my face and the dog walk - all to often I turn round to see it inches infront of me! thankfully I havent run into it yet, and I am so gracefull trying not to fall over Ben so tell hubby not to worry theres plenty of clumsy people in our club

The weaves do get better, then worse again as they get speed, then better then worse - My trainer says if they keep increasing speed it can take quite a while to get 100% weaves.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Cool thats great!
LOL I seem to have a gravitational attraction for my face and the dog walk - all to often I turn round to see it inches infront of me! thankfully I havent run into it yet, and I am so gracefull trying not to fall over Ben so tell hubby not to worry theres plenty of clumsy people in our club

The weaves do get better, then worse again as they get speed, then better then worse - My trainer says if they keep increasing speed it can take quite a while to get 100% weaves.
I can vouch for that!!
we had terrible weaves..then brilliant..then she got a bit of speed and kept popping out..then she mastered them..and now she is so fast we can never get the entry without me giving her the 'wait' command before them to slow her down!! we will get there eventually!

You should definately give it a go. what have you got to lose!!?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Thank you both, it looks like we're going to go for it