View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Or maybe as he says in his books if you want to train sit, stay, come, etc. go to a dog training school.
He obviously has no problems with walking his lot en masse off lead so recall can't be a problem for him.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Or maybe as he says in his books if you want to train sit, stay, come, etc. go to a dog training school.

Or maybe because his methods dont work with everyday training?

He "trains" dogs to lead walk, whats the difference between that & a recall & that & a stay? Dog training schools /Clubs teach not to pull, so i never really get what his point is when he says that
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Lizzy, have you ever taught your dog name response, on a food circuit?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 12:50 PM
He obviously has no problems with walking his lot en masse off lead so recall can't be a problem for him.
Mm that does confuse me about him as surely in order to work with problem dogs, you need to be able to train those thing...the basics..

I wonder how much he does actually walk his own dogs and where he does it?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

31-07-2009, 12:54 PM
I found dog training school mind numbingly boring and slow so would never willingly go again tbh, but he changes dogs behaviours, rather than the mundane sit blah blah. Most dogs sit of their own accord anyway so it's no great achievement to teach it. He just chooses to correct behaviours rather than teach from scratch, I don't see the problem myself, I've never had a problem with getting a dog to recall either. Most of his clients don't take the dog out for a walk let alone off lead, so maybe he doesn't get too many requests for recall training.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

31-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Mm that does confuse me about him as surely in order to work with problem dogs, you need to be able to train those thing...the basics..

I wonder how much he does actually walk his own dogs and where he does it?
Hasn't that been done to death? with the anti's believing he never actually walks them himself regardless of what he says in his books, as I've never joined in on one of his walks I can't say for sure and nor can you.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Hasn't that been done to death? with the anti's believing he never actually walks them himself regardless of what he says in his books, as I've never joined in on one of his walks I can't say for sure and nor can you.
Okay. So neither the pro or the anti CM people can say then if his own dogs have a recall.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

31-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Okay. So neither the pro or the anti CM people can say then if his own dogs have a recall.
He says he walks them off lead in the mountains etc. they stick with him on his walks just the same as mine stick with me. They may meander off to the side for a bit but they return of their own accord to keep up. I can't see why he wouldn't have a reliable recall with them. You'd hardly take a big group of dogs out off lead if they were all going to disappear in different directions doing their own thing would you?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 01:18 PM
He says he walks them off lead in the mountains etc. they stick with him on his walks just the same as mine stick with me. They may meander off to the side for a bit but they return of their own accord to keep up. I can't see why he wouldn't have a reliable recall with them. You'd hardly take a big group of dogs out off lead if they were all going to disappear in different directions doing their own thing would you?
I just wonder how often he does it,who else goes with him and how many of them he actually walks. That's all,he's a busy man after all.
I don't think, as I said before, anyone can actually say if he does have a reliable recall with his own dogs...as no one knows.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

31-07-2009, 01:26 PM
I don't wonder tbh. I have a reliable recall with all of mine and really don't see why he should achieve any less with his. Obviously these days he has staff and as far as I'm aware he doesn't claim to go alone. Even busy people make time for the things they enjoy in life and I guess he enjoys being with the dogs, I know I do, and if it was a toss up between going out with the dogs for a couple of hours or something else I'd choose the dogs. Why would anyone assume he'd be any different especially when he earns his living through dogs. I think if you look long enough and hard enough at anything you'll find fault with it if you want to.
Page 10 of 25 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »