Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-09-2011, 05:16 PM

Butternut squash help ..

I am cooking dinner for ''the wife''..
I know she is into butternut squash right now and i thought i would roast the half we have left ...
Any clue how long it needs .lol
or whether is needs oil in the oven dish ..
I am useless in the kitchen so i need help ,, Thank you ...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Stick oven on at about 180 - 200
Stick squash in tray(cut side up)
put a LITTLE olive oil over (as in drizzle)
season
you can add various herbs too
IT will take about 45 mins or so

ENJOY!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Stick oven on at about 180 - 200
Stick squash in tray(cut side up)
put a LITTLE olive oil over (as in drizzle)
season
you can add various herbs too
IT will take about 45 mins or so

ENJOY!
Done all that bar the olive oil i used that spray oil ...
She loved it :P
ty.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Butternut squash is lovely roasted with chopped peppers, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, courgette etc, chopped in big chunks on a baking tray with olive oil and garlic....

And a lovely fillet steak

or Salmon
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 08:03 PM
mmmmmm....... we're also coming into squash season.
I saw loads of different multicoloured organic squash for sale in a wholefood shop yesterday and I'm just beginning to kick myself for not buying any.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 08:49 PM
They had a tray of ready prepared squashes reduced to 59p in Waitrose tonight but I didn't fancy it as I am not very adventerous with food. One of the squashes was onion squash (?) and a green sort of squash as well as the butternut (which I like).
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
They had a tray of ready prepared squashes reduced to 59p in Waitrose tonight but I didn't fancy it as I am not very adventerous with food. One of the squashes was onion squash (?) and a green sort of squash as well as the butternut (which I like).
I think you missed a bargain there...

Here are some pictures and descriptions of the tastes of various squashes, together with some recipes:

http://www.barfoots.co.uk/squash.html
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Ethical question now.

Just down the road is a cow field (bit out of place in the middle of a town, but there you are, it exists). several public footpaths run through it and are used every day by many many people.

Alongside the field in one place is someone with a very large garden (I believe they actually employ a gardener). Right by the fence is a large manure heap with pumpkin and squash plants growing on it.

Last year I noticed several plants had grown through the chain-link fence and there were some very large pumpkins nestled in the nettles on the field side. I kept an eye on them and to my surprise, there they stayed, eventually destroyed by the frosts and insects.

Not so lucky this year, but there is one rather big yellow patty-pan squash this side of the fence.

So.... do I?
and...When?
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I think you missed a bargain there...

Here are some pictures and descriptions of the tastes of various squashes, together with some recipes:

http://www.barfoots.co.uk/squash.html
Thanks Malka-that's interesting. I know now by your pictures that the other one was acorn squash. You don't tend to see these squashes in the shops.

I like the way I've spelt "adventurous"
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Thanks Malka-that's interesting. I know now by your pictures that the other one was acorn squash. You don't tend to see these squashes in the shops.

I like the way I've spelt "adventurous"
Who cares!

Have you ever come across spaghetti squash? I saw it in one of the supermarkets here nearly 20 years ago but have never seen it since and some of the huge hypermarkets have quite a variety of squash. Unfortunately the macolet across the road just sells pumpkin - he usually has some cut into 1 or 2 kilo chunks but mostly brings out a huge one at a time and it sits outside with a mahoosive knife in for people to hack off whatever size chunk they want.

The only other squash he normally stocks, and that is year round, is the pale green/yellow courgettes [something wrong there grammatically - mixing singular "squash" with plural "courgettes", sorry ] so I have to rely on my neighbour to get my [and Pereg's] favourite butternut squash.

Actually I

"liberated" a couple of butternut squashes from alongside the tractor path a while back, but they were right on the edge of it...

...and I do know to whom the field belongs.

Which reminds me...

MerlinsMum - pumpkins and all squashes do grow on compost heaps - in fact they will grow wherever some seeds have been thrown out. I had one grow just the other side of the patio wall a few years ago from a seed that came from who knows where. And it grew and it grew and it spread and it spread until it reached nearly across the yard to my neighbour. Who frequently came out with a bucket of water to give it a drink!

It was incredibly prolific! I started taking the small courgettes from it, but fruit kept growing bigger and bigger. So I had a couple of marrows. And it still kept growing and the fruit kept getting bigger and bigger...

...I am not sure how many we ended up with [she did not want the courgettes or marrows] but we did not let them get too mahoosive. Well, I had nowhere to store them although she did, and then one morning the ones we had not harvested were gone.

So. The answer to your question is yes. You do. When? Whenever! It is not exactly on private property, is it.

Well I would. But then I am me and I do so hate waste...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >