2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons ground cumin
10g fresh coriander, stalks and leaves separated and finely chopped
2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
Half lime, zest and juice of
800ml vegetable stock

Heat the oil in a large saucepan, then sweat the onion for 5-10 minutes until softened
Add in the coriander stalks, cumin, chilli and garlic to the saucepan, then stir for a couple of minutes until aromatic
Add the tomatoes, cover, then cook over a medium heat for 15 minutes until the tomatoes have thickened
Add the chickpeas and stock and bring to the boil, cover and simmer for a further 20 minutes
Blend 2/3 of the soup (if you prefer a completely smooth soup then blend all of it)
Return the blended soup to the pan, then add the lime zest, lime juice and coriander leaves
Season to taste and serve

Formatting may go skwew-whiff, it's copy-pasted from word cos I raided someone's covent garden recipe books the other week
Thanks a lot Dizzi, I am gonna try that one. (old wives tale suggests that spicy is good for a cold)

Thanks very much
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Sorry to hear you're suffering with a stinking cold Deb, and you're right, nothing quite like a good bowl of home made soup, next to a bowl of steaming olbus oil for the head!

I like a nice chicken casserole which has been in the slow cooker all day, then I blend it all up, mmm, mmm, mmmmm, but I usually have that when I've got a tooth abcess, but I'm sure it's just as satisfying for colds as well and it's very nutritious of course, which will help you get better!

Georgie sends some slobbery licks to make you feel better. I had the cold from hell all over Christmas last year, it just went on and on and oooooooon, hope yours is gone soon.xxx
Helena, Thanks a lot for that...... chicken & veg is real comfort food !!! I have a slow cooker, but haven't used it since I went camping at Easter... I will get it out from the back of the cupboard

Tell Georgie that those big slobbery kisses have worked wonders, and my face doesn't need a wash any more

Thanks Helena

Debs x x
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-09-2011, 07:28 PM
I never buy tinned soups, always make my own. My favourite is mushroom but I did make a spicy tomato recently as I am inundated with tomatoes from the greenhouse. Carrot and gin is another favourite, for obvious reasons!!! Delicious, I found that one years ago in the back of the original Hello mags when they used to put great recipes on the last page. Showing my age now!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by Deb/Pugglepup View Post
Helena, Thanks a lot for that...... chicken & veg is real comfort food !!! I have a slow cooker, but haven't used it since I went camping at Easter... I will get it out from the back of the cupboard

Tell Georgie that those big slobbery kisses have worked wonders, and my face doesn't need a wash any more

Thanks Helena

Debs x x
Lol, no but his trousers do today (he's got diarreah)!!!! You're safe with his licks though coz he can't reach his rear end to clean himself up anymore, so sadly, I've got the job today !!!

Hope you're feeling better you poor old sausage.xxx Well, maybe not an old one!!!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2011, 08:16 PM
My all time favourite is chicken noodle soup as my mum used to make it for me when I was kid if i was poorly - she's passed the recipe on now so I can make it for myself or OH!

After that it would have to be either pea and ham or leek and potato.

My OH loves tomato with chunks of cheddar cheese dropped in to it like you would with croutons.

Mmmm i really fancy soup now!!
Jfk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Mmmmmm chorizo and mixed bean for me or maybe roasted butternut squash and sweet potato. Can't decide!

Hope you feel better soon x
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Thanks JFK

They sound really tasty, gonna give them a go!!

Back in work and feeling rubbish.... Cant sleep.... all bunged up..... coughing all the time.....

Gotta be up by 4.30am

Sh**..... Going to have a few hot toddies tomorrow night!!

Debs x
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by tiggers mum View Post
I never buy tinned soups, always make my own. My favourite is mushroom but I did make a spicy tomato recently as I am inundated with tomatoes from the greenhouse. Carrot and gin is another favourite, for obvious reasons!!! Delicious, I found that one years ago in the back of the original Hello mags when they used to put great recipes on the last page. Showing my age now!
Can I have this recipe please

I would just like to say.....

"IT'S NOT WINTER YET!!!!! BUT WE ARE ALL MAKING FLIPPIN SOUP....." (and I've lit my logburner too....)
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2011, 12:37 AM
I am officially soup-starved. Old mother refuses to eat soup so no point in making anything, no room in the freezer either. Cup-a-Soup here I come... Though last year I had to complain to Tescos as almost all were the Crouton sort, not much choice for crouton haters like me.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2011, 02:53 AM
Big Stilton fan here xxx

I often do soups, we like the chicken chunky veg ones, saves wasting the carcass
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >