Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-12-2018, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Interesting what you say ... over the next couple or so years we are intending to downsize and move, not only for financial reasons but mainly because we are very doggy people and want to have several dogs - or at least a couple. We take our dogs everywhere with us and like to visit pubs. In Yorkshire, Somerset, Norfolk,, Devon, Wales as a whole, Exmoor, Shropshire, Herefordshire - all these places are totally welcoming of dogs - even in restaurants - and look at you as if you are half baked for asking if you can bring 2 large hairy wolves into their establishment!! Whereas we find across the Midlands, where we live, exactly the opposite. Dogs are frequently pariahs and they look at you here as if you are half-baked for asking!! There are several lovely exceptions, but as a rule we find that the Midlanders are far more anti dog than most other areas of the UK, particularly towards are choice of dogs. The worse thing we find is hostility towards our dogs from their dogs - all dogs on leads, but hostility from these people because THEIR dog has kicked off at our's and somehow this is OUR fault because we have an unusual type of dog - wtf is that about!! Anyway, we have had enough and are moving away where we feel people are more in tune with the way we think.
Know the score. Now and again a dog will come up to ours and bark in his face. Max may give a glance in passing or just press the ignore button. Yet, somehow, their dog's behaviour is my fault because mine isn't on a lead.

Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2018, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
It's not just the Midlands, in my opinion any large city and many towns have this attitude 'We are two legged humans and therefore we are God and always right and it's my right to think like this.

Aided and abetted by the grubby media it's not nice and you are doing the right thing. A village in any of those counties you mentioned will give you a big life style upgrade Good luck with your search
Thanx!! A good pub should always have 2 elements in it, apart from adults, and that is well behaved dogs and children. Both make a pub atmosphere perfect in my opinion. There id s lovely pub in Norfolk called The 3 Horseshoes in Warham... they have a notice on the wall that says we welcome well behaved dogs ... children we make into pies!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2018, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
Know the score. Now and again a dog will come up to ours and bark in his face. Max may give a glance in passing or just press the ignore button. Yet, somehow, their dog's behaviour is my fault because mine isn't on a lead.

I couldn't agree more ... Ben in his latter stages was so good with other dogs, but always got blamed when someone else's dog kicked off at him ... just cannot wait to move to a more reasonable place, it is hell round here sometimes and it used to be so dog friendly. A lot of townies moving to the country I guess ... I just do not understand why peeps have to be so controlling ... let your dog be and allow him to be a dog - to bark at other dogs if he doesn't like them, to express his feelings, to act the git sometimes - yes of course I would tell Ben off if he kicked off at another dog, especially in a pub, but for Christ sake so what!! Dog barks at another dog - headline news!! Let's call the Dog Police. One of my pet hates
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

04-12-2018, 04:50 PM
Dog barks at another dog - headline news!! Let's call the Dog Police.

Yes, for a dog, barking is the way they communicate, I sometimes tell people this.

In the past you've mentioned Ben, I think he had the 'pack leader' gene and sounds very much like our Baruska.

Such dogs have a supreme instinctive 'duty' to keep the pack together and they will happily lay down their life to protect their pack.

Our Baruska also had a never ending desire to find and distribute food for her pack (after first taking only what she needed to keep fit)
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2018, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Yes, for a dog, barking is the way they communicate, I sometimes tell people this.

In the past you've mentioned Ben, I think he had the 'pack leader' gene and sounds very much like our Baruska.

Such dogs have a supreme instinctive 'duty' to keep the pack together and they will happily lay down their life to protect their pack.

Our Baruska also had a never ending desire to find and distribute food for her pack (after first taking only what she needed to keep fit)
Baruksa sounds lush! Ben's father Hal was a true alpha male, but Ben himself was more of a soldier - a law enforcer! He would not stand for intransigence, despite being a total git himself! If he considered another dog was stepping out of line, being disobedient, boisterous etc. etc. he HAD to step in! Weighing in at 45 kilos meant trouble with a capital T with the flapper brigade, who would shriek hysterically that Ben was savaging their little darling - which he never did, just made an awful lot of noise. Nonetheless unacceptable behaviour, hence the reason why we had to keep him permanently leashed except all clear on the western front! Ben was hugely protective of his pack - the 2 chihuhuas and Tai when he was alive. Fascinating stuff and I am so looking forward to having further wolves- we are thinking around Czech wolfdog, Saarloos or even Malamute - as I will make less mistakes now having learned so much from Ben.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-12-2018, 02:48 PM
as I will make less mistakes now having learned so much from Ben.

You and me both When we had Baruska we lived in the middle of a huge forrest and hardly ever saw any one if you can find something like that in England would be good. They tell me Kielder forrest is pretty good (That's in Northumberland isn't it ?)
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-12-2018, 04:45 PM
Where we live now is probably best described as suburban. But we do have lots of parkland so we can walk out the front door on to a common green, take pathways to woodlands and stroll for miles without encountering traffic.
Places like this:

[IMG][/IMG]
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2018, 08:00 PM
Looks lovely! Yes Losos I think Kielder is in Northumberland
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-12-2018, 04:13 PM
OK. The school run again.
A woman came up to me.......
"Is that your dog?!

Oh no, not again I thought.
"He's mine."
Oh no. Not again.......
Could have knocked me down with a feather with what came next.

"Do you have a spare poo bag?"
She was ever so grateful.

It pleased me to be able to help and that she was responsible for cleaning up. Many don't.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-12-2018, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
Could have knocked me down with a feather with what came next.

"Do you have a spare poo bag?"
She was ever so grateful.

Paths and open lawns town parks etc. I do 'pick up' but 90% of our walks are in the forrest and I don't. Knetishall Heath is a huge open heathland with about 30 wild ponies each one of which produces more 'manure' in a day than any dog produces in a week
Page 10 of 12 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 >