Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2014, 11:49 PM

Big dogs and small cars

How do you travel with large or multiple dogs in smaller cars?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2014, 12:19 AM
We cram, plain and simple. An old and small 1999 Toyota Camry is not the business. My nearly 90 lb Nigredo barely fits by himself, and my 54 lb Bunny makes it even harder. Add in me, 240 lbs and it's totally uncomfortable. We don't travel together often for that reason. They don't seem to mind, but boy is it cramped and annoying to me...

chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-12-2014, 08:22 AM
Both my dogs can only go on the back seat of my tiny Suzuki Swift because the back seats don't fold down and to put them into the boot space would mean having to lift them in which I can't do because they're too heavy for me to pick up.

The pair of them make me laugh as they seem to have an arrangement between themselves as to where they sit. My Pei girl likes to sprawl and take up most of the seat and my Mini Schnauzer usually lies on the rear window ledge. Sometimes though he decides he wants to sprawl on the back seat which means Miss Pei has to sit up. When that happens she complains and moans her head off until he finally moves!
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-12-2014, 09:19 AM
my dobers preference is the back seat of my fiesta (he hated the TT as he was sardined ) i can fold teh seats right down but thats hard work and he much prefers to lean on the back seat. I don't put him in the boot with the seats up, whilst he fits, I would never forgive myself if someone ran into the back of me and he got hurt. I feel much happier with the boot space and a seat back between him and any offending rear ender! I have a dog guard between the front seats.
sandgrubber
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-12-2014, 06:33 PM
My dogs love the area behind the seat on my 3 door pickup truck (extended cab . . . no seat, maybe half a meter behind the seats for stowing stuff, or dogs). Sometimes I leave the door open and they stay in for a few hours before getting out.
The blankets back there are attractively dog smelly. I think they like the sardines in a can aspect. But then, they are very close to one another and seem to like being packed close.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2014, 07:55 PM
I have been informed by the police that in the UK if the insurers find that a lose dog in a car has been the cause of an accident they won't pay out. A dog has to be either in a crate, strapped in by a harness or confined behind a good dog guard. Not sure about other countries. I found out this because of dog owners asking what the legallties were for travelling with their dogs in their car.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2014, 08:51 PM
Yes, loose dogs can create dangerous situations for drivers if the dog won't stay put. My Jade has a tendency to try and get into the front seat and disturb the driver, she gets very excited, so I have to sit with her and hold her so she won't do this. She also wears a muzzle during car rides as it helps to calm her.

Nigredo enjoys car rides too, but won't get into the front at all. Never had this issue with him. If he sits up, though... his head can block the rear window because he is tall, so I usually mush him back down into a lying position. I do not drive, I protect the driver from the dogs
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-12-2014, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
I have been informed by the police that in the UK if the insurers find that a lose dog in a car has been the cause of an accident they won't pay out. A dog has to be either in a crate, strapped in by a harness or confined behind a good dog guard. Not sure about other countries. I found out this because of dog owners asking what the legallties were for travelling with their dogs in their car.
There are no such laws in Hungary, but then not many people travel in cars with their dogs!

My two wear harnesses which are attached by shortened leads to the central seat belt on the back seat, which allows them to lie down, sit up comfortably but not get out of the car until I release them.

My Pei (who's very posh) wouldn't dream of trying to get into the front of the car and my Schnauzer will only climb over and sit in the driver's seat when I'm not there, but as soon as I want to get in he'll climb into the back again.