View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 04:44 PM
I'm lucky in that my Mum has always looked after my dogs during the day when i'm working although they used to spend 2 days on their own. And i'm also lucky in that the jobs i've had since i've had the dogs meant I was able to pop back during the day to spend some time with them.
That wasnt arranged with my employers, it's simply down to the kind of jobs i've landed.

I dont think i'd ever be in a position to turn down a job because of my dogs, i'd work round it as best I could I think. I have turned down overtime however because of my dogs and I tend to book my time off when my parents go away so that the dogs arent left alone.

It's difficult to juggle everything and unfortunately, employers dont consider pet ownership to be important. A lady my Mum works with has just had her 2 year old beagle PTS due to kidney failure and is off work because she's distraught. Nobody has any sympathy for her, saying the usual like "it's just a bladdy dog" and she's had to come in.
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 04:45 PM
I have to say me and OH work full time. Its not always easy but we both works shifts so are home at different times so the dogs generally have company alot of the time. The dogs mean the world to us and like others have mentined i really think they reap the benefits of us both working full time, moneywise and in the fact that if anything ever happened they are used to spending time alone (albeit only short periods). I have 2 dogs specifically because we are not here every minute of the day to entertain them.

I know its difficult but like the others have said i'm sure its not the employers singling you out because you have dogs, more likely because you have commitments full stop.

I hope you manage to find the job thats right for you and your dog. My sister works at an animal college, her dog is kennelled there in the day and she walks her on her lunch break, i should imagine something like that would be ideal for you. Good luck.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
It still costs money for the learning insurance and petrol, not to mention my provisional licence. And by the time I learn to drive - I'll have the car to fork out for - meaning I'll have to have extra hours to pay for that...

But I don't expect anyone to understand what I'm going through right now and I don't wish my situation on anyone at all.
i dont think thats a very fair thing to say. ive been going through the exact same thing!! at least you have your OH to help you out, and you are living in a house that is rent free!

i live with my nana, who is on a low wage, and between me and her have to pay the rent, the water and the electric, and then food. then i have the two dogs and she has her one! its hard, some weeks we havent bought shopping, just basics like milk. sometimes we have jumble teas, where we throw anything and everything into a pan and it doesnt really make much sense

ive currently got a job at matalan which is only 8 hours a week, so im on roughly £48 a week! it would of made more sense for me to stay on the dole! but i took the job, because i need the money, its shift work and when the shifts come up i will take as many as i can, and the dogs will just have to adapt to that. dogs adapt easier than you think just take a job that comes along, i really wouldnt be picky right now. just take the jobs you get offered, loui will be fine
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
what do you do with him on the wednesdays and sundays?

firstly there is no saying if you get countryside work stable work they will let you take your dog. to be honest i doubt they will. why give you a job and then have you not giving your all because you are focusing or worrying about your dog.

also i dont mean to be rude, but you only keep mentioning louie? doesnt benji live with you too? what would happen to him if you took louie to work? like you said in another thread, your OH isnt there, so benji would be left on his own?

all of last summer, i worked 9-5 6 days a week. some days the dogs could come, some days they couldnt. so yes they were left alone. they were let out for a wee by a neighbour (literally just 5/10 minutes outside) and i didnt feel guilty. they got a good walk in the morning and were walked as soon as i got in from work. and yes you know what i was absolutely knackered, it was a job that i was on my feet all day, but my dogs came first. i still went to training on monday and wednesdays, and they got their big walks on sundays. after all it was the money i was bringing in that was paying for my dogs!

you have no rights to have certain days off because of a dog, yes they depend on you. but many manage at home on their own while the owner is out working. they adapt to it, and you have to too. im all for saying that dogs are as much part of the family. but i dont think employers should give you time off for a dog.... if i have any shows i have to make a holiday date. i think a child is a bit different in that respect...
Louie has training on Wednesday nights and sometimes on Sundays - as well as little sessions with me every night.

The stables I have applied to are just up the road from me so I would be able to just nip home - there are some of the stable instructors/hands (are they still called stable hands?) who take their dogs into work with them - I was up there the other day enquiring about riding for the in laws..

Benjie won't be living with me, no, Benjie will be living with the in laws.

I know all this seems silly to you guys and maybe it is, but I'm not thinking straight at all - I'm exhausted and fed up and annoyed and there is more to this story but it is a bit personal..
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 04:50 PM
That's the other problem - I don't drive, my neighbours are far and few between and family is way out of the way and in laws are retired and can't drive or are working... so I have no one to let him out. Which is why a 30 hours over 6 days suits me - it's 5 hours - I know I can leave him for 5 hours at a time, 7 if you include traveling (hour there and hour back - I live practically in the middle of nowhere)

But I don't see the point in having a dog if you're not home half the day. I hate those people who have a dog yet hardly have time for it - they may love their dog to bits but it's not fair.

At the end of the day, I am not giving up Louie - he was a gift and he's a living breathing animal that depends on me. Which makes it harder to get a job because I have to think about the money then I have to think about whats fair.. I've been looking for bar work, stable work, countryside work etc - anything that might give me the possibility to have him with me or that has 5- 8 hours during the day or night 5-6 times a week and it's just hard.

They wouldn't expect people to give up their children would they - I just don't understand...
Is moving back in with your family a possibility? it just strikes me that by living alone, rurally, without any form of transportation is really limiting your chances of securing work that suits you (and Louie).

I'm a little bit older than you and I'm still at my parents. I COULD just about afford to rent somewhere (either flat/houseshare or a small flat), but that would mean leaving my dogs with my parents. I'd rather not move out without them, so until I'm in a better paid position (and consequently, can afford somewhere I can take 2 out of the 3 dogs with me) I'm staying put. It works for me because when I'm out at work, a family member is 9 times out of 10 indoors with them, solving all "what do I do with the dog(s) while I'm working?" dilemmas.

I have training on a Wednesday night and do some gun dog work with him on Sundays.

As it the job I just applied and didn't hear from was employing students - who have more commitments than just Wednesday nights and some Sundays which I found ridiculous. And I'd rather be up front with an employer than say I can do the hours when I can't

But to be honest SB, I feel so low right now, I could do without it, my question had nothing to do with what you're asking, I simply asked if people had been refused or turned down a job because of their dog..

EDIT: How do you suggest I learn to drive without money?
I would not let this get in the way of you finding a job. New training classes can be found that will fit around your work. Training classes are not essential...a good job that will give you a sense of purpose, confidence, boost your mood, earn you money (most importantly!) IS!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Benjie won't be living with me, no, Benjie will be living with the in laws.

I know all this seems silly to you guys and maybe it is, but I'm not thinking straight at all - I'm exhausted and fed up and annoyed and there is more to this story but it is a bit personal..

It is not that it seems "silly" it is more a case of many of us have been through all sorts of personal traumas and know that if we buckle down and concentrate on how to deal with it, this too will pass.

Also you are a lot younger than some of us who have the benefit of seeing things from a slightly different perspective. What may seem insurmountable to you at the moment may pale into insignificance when you are older and have to deal with something more ghastly.

We all go through periods of feeling low, so hope it does not last long for you.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Is moving back in with your family a possibility? it just strikes me that by living alone, rurally, without any form of transportation is really limiting your chances of securing work that suits you (and Louie).

I'm a little bit older than you and I'm still at my parents. I COULD just about afford to rent somewhere (either flat/houseshare or a small flat), but that would mean leaving my dogs with my parents. I'd rather not move out without them, so until I'm in a better paid position (and consequently, can afford somewhere I can take 2 out of the 3 dogs with me) I'm staying put. It works for me because when I'm out at work, a family member is 9 times out of 10 indoors with them, solving all "what do I do with the dog(s) while I'm working?" dilemmas.

I would not let this get in the way of you finding a job. New training classes can be found that will fit around your work. Training classes are not essential...a good job that will give you a sense of purpose, confidence, boost your mood, earn you money (most importantly!) IS!
I'm ALOT older and still with my parents! Not a good look at 33 years old...
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I'll probably end up like you at this rate Leanne, so no worries there LOL.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I'm 26 and still living at home (have been away several times but always seem to end up coming back!). Bf is 30 and still living at home, as are many of our friends. We'd love our own place but it's tricky to rent with a dog and London is soooo expensive. So home it is for now
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 05:02 PM
I console myself with the thought that I left for 2.5 years when I got a mortgage but like a boomerang, soon came back! Couldnt even contemplate moving out ATM, just couldnt afford to on my own. My ex was 51 and lived at home, pmsl (though only cos he'd seperated)!
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >