View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 04:24 PM
That's the other problem - I don't drive, my neighbours are far and few between and family is way out of the way and in laws are retired and can't drive or are working... so I have no one to let him out. Which is why a 30 hours over 6 days suits me - it's 5 hours - I know I can leave him for 5 hours at a time, 7 if you include travelling (hour there and hour back - I live practically in the middle of nowhere)

But I don't see the point in having a dog if you're not home half the day. I hate those people who have a dog yet hardly have time for it - they may love their dog to bits but it's not fair.

At the end of the day, I am not giving up Louie - he was a gift and he's a living breathing animal that depends on me. Which makes it harder to get a job because I have to think about the money then I have to think about whats fair.. I've been looking for bar work, stable work, countryside work etc - anything that might give me the possiblilty to have him with me or that has 5- 8 hours during the day or night 5-6 times a week and it's just hard.

They wouldn't expect people to give up their children would they - I just don't understand...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
That's the other problem - I don't drive, my neighbours are far and few between and family is way out of the way and in laws are retired and can't drive or are working... so I have no one to let him out. Which is why a 30 hours over 6 days suits me - it's 5 hours - I know I can leave him for 5 hours at a time, 7 if you include travelling (hour there and hour back - I live practically in the middle of nowhere)

So why not learn to drive?

But I don't see the point in having a dog if you're not home half the day.

The point is that if I did not work full time I could not afford my dogs or do what I do with them.

I hate those people who have a dog yet hardly have time for it - they may love their dog to bits but it's not fair.

Well some of us MAKE time, ie take the dogs out at 05:00 before going to work, taking them out after work, rain or shine and spend all weekend with them.

At the end of the day, I am not giving up Louie - he was a gift and he's a living breathing animal that depends on me.

Has anyone asked you to give up your dog?

Which makes it harder to get a job because I have to think about the money then I have to think about whats fair.. I've been looking for bar work, stable work, countryside work etc - anything that might give me the possiblilty to have him with me or that has 5- 8 hours during the day or night 5-6 times a week and it's just hard.

Yep, life is hard, but if want something badly enough you can usually make various compromises.

They wouldn't expect people to give up their children would they - I just don't understand...
Is anyone expecting you to give up your dog? Until there are employment laws relating to pets as there are for parents I think you will just have to stop wasting time complaining about what is and is not fair and, like the rest of us, grit your teeth and get on with it. (unless you win the lottery of course) LOL
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 04:29 PM
I have training on a Wednesday night and do some gun dog work with him on Sundays.

As it the job I just applied and didn't hear from was employing students - who have more commitments than just Wednesday nights and some Sundays which I found ridiculous. And I'd rather be up front with an employer than say I can do the hours when I can't

But to be honest SB, I feel so low right now, I could do without it, my question had nothing to do with what you're asking, I simply asked if people had been refused or turned down a job because of their dog..

EDIT: How do you suggest I learn to drive without money?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Employers would be treading on thin ice to refuse someone a job because of their children, but I'm pretty sure there's not really much stopping them from refusing you because of pet commitments, so that may be part of the problem.
We're in a tough job market and I think offering as much as you possibly can is the best way to make yourself appealing. It's not quite "fair" but that's just how things are.
Employers do not refuse to employ you BECAUSE you have children, they refuse to employ anyone if they cannot meet the job requirements.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
If you do not mind me asking, what precisely is your commitment to your dog on Wednesday and Sunday?

What do you do with the rest of the time as you are only looking for part time work?

Why can you not spend time with your dog and work part time or even full time?

I work a full time job which is not 9 - 5 or Monday - Friday and yet find time for my two dogs, so what is the problem exactly?

What is special about Wednesday and Sunday?

As an employer I want to find someone who is committed to work the hours I require, if a person presents themselves with a list of why they cannot do x, y and z then if that does not suit ME the employer, I will look elsewhere.

This is the real world.
Well said and I completely agree.

Beggars cannot be choosers I'm afraid. What are the commitments you have with Louie, and are they really so important that you will turn down the opportunity of work and earning money?

Unfortunately the employee does not call the shots when it comes to working hours. You work the hours stated in the job description and that is it, unless it specifically states otherwise. On the other hand, if you had worked at a particular company for years and were a reliable worker, they might offer you more flexibility with your working hours (if you wished).

I would definitely NOT turn down the opportunity for a job that I wanted because of my dogs. Instead, I would come to an appropriate arrangement for them to ensure that all their needs were met. Any classes or training groups (which we don't do anyway, so is irrelevant for us!) would have to be stopped or moved to a convenient time if possible.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 04:32 PM
EDIT: How do you suggest I learn to drive without money?
Get your FIL or relative or friend to teach you.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 04:34 PM
But I don't see the point in having a dog if you're not home half the day. I hate those people who have a dog yet hardly have time for it - they may love their dog to bits but it's not fair.
Some people have to work fulltime to afford their dogs and keep a roof over their heads. I'd rather work full time and spend time with my dogs before and after work than see them sat in rescue, because I couldn't afford them otherwise.
At the end of the day pets are a luxury and you can't expect exployers to work around them, you need to work the dogs around your job
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Get your FIL or relative or friend to teach you.
It still costs money for the learning insurance and petrol, not to mention my provisional licence. And by the time I learn to drive - I'll have the car to fork out for - meaning I'll have to have extra hours to pay for that...

But I don't expect anyone to understand what I'm going through right now and I don't wish my situation on anyone at all.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 04:39 PM
what do you do with him on the wednesdays and sundays?

firstly there is no saying if you get countryside work stable work they will let you take your dog. to be honest i doubt they will. why give you a job and then have you not giving your all because you are focusing or worrying about your dog.

also i dont mean to be rude, but you only keep mentioning louie? doesnt benji live with you too? what would happen to him if you took louie to work? like you said in another thread, your OH isnt there, so benji would be left on his own?

all of last summer, i worked 9-5 6 days a week. some days the dogs could come, some days they couldnt. so yes they were left alone. they were let out for a wee by a neighbour (literally just 5/10 minutes outside) and i didnt feel guilty. they got a good walk in the morning and were walked as soon as i got in from work. and yes you know what i was absolutely knackered, it was a job that i was on my feet all day, but my dogs came first. i still went to training on monday and wednesdays, and they got their big walks on sundays. after all it was the money i was bringing in that was paying for my dogs!

you have no rights to have certain days off because of a dog, yes they depend on you. but many manage at home on their own while the owner is out working. they adapt to it, and you have to too. im all for saying that dogs are as much part of the family. but i dont think employers should give you time off for a dog.... if i have any shows i have to make a holiday date. i think a child is a bit different in that respect...
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 04:44 PM
It still costs money for the learning insurance and petrol, not to mention my provisional licence. And by the time I learn to drive - I'll have the car to fork out for - meaning I'll have to have extra hours to pay for that...

But I don't expect anyone to understand what I'm going through right now and I don't wish my situation on anyone at all.
I know it must be tough being on your own at the moment but I'm afraid it's life - most people live to work, they don't have the luxury of having no rent/mortgage, no bills, being self-sufficient foodwise etc. I would love to work part-time and have a few more hours a week with my dogs but I can't afford to and nor can many people.
You're unfortunate to be looking for a job at the tail end of a recession but so are other people so you need to have something more to offer than all that competition, and flexibility is just one thing you can try to beat them with. Yes, I'm sure you'd love to get into gundog training with Louie but having a job trumps training classes with dogs IMO when you could re-arrange those commitments or get into it a few months down the line when you're in a job and have the position to be a bit fussier and go out and apply for jobs with better suited hours.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >