View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pepp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-05-2011, 06:58 AM
I have an American Bulldog and a Rottweiler, so I understand where your coming from. I'm so lucky though, because both are brilliant temperament and good ambassadors (sp?) of their breeds x
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 08:19 AM
I usually only get comments when walking on the promenade, generally when I'm with my mum too, as we'll have 5 or 6 dogs between us. It's not so much the size of the bigger dogs, but the fact I have more than one, despite the fact they are walked on leads in that area. I've been told its ridiculous having that many dogs (three?????), of course they will eat other dogs if they should dare to approach - yeah right!

Some people seem to think that all big dogs are child eating monsters and jack russells are ankle biters. They can say what they like though, my dogs bother no one. Even my neighbours commented that they wouldn't have known I even had dogs if they hadn't seen me walking them every day. Society is becoming increasingly intolerant, which is why my dogs spend more time on leads than off - better that than having dogs banned from public areas I think.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
I walk a lovely am bulldog that got attacked recently by two springers resulting in him needing stitches. He did not even retaliate, bless him.
my american bulldog has been chased by an aggressive dog and he just submits no agressive retaliation. im glad he reacts like this as opposed to fighting back.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Shani View Post
Most people instantly like Muppet. But youths (teenagers to mid twentys i guess) & the 'older generation' snigger & grumble about him being a sheep or a doodle

I normally like any dog & untill recently would have been quite happy with almost any dog bounding up to me. But due to a very recent incident involving an american bulldog I'm more than a little nervouse & would probably 'run for the hills' at the sight of any large dog running loose. But that is my problem, & if I was in a large field I would have to accept that as a possibillity, but for now i'm not going to any large parks.
I understand that some people see my dog and are scared and nevous due to his size. TBH i find teenages and young children are more confident with my AB than most people.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 09:30 AM
It's very unfortunate that some breeds get demonised unfairly.

I only get nervous if I think a dog's behaviour is tense or hostile, and at our park, there is no 'typical' breed problem.

For instance there is a man with two GORGEOUS American Staffs that I love; they are well behaved but lively and I always enjoy meeting them.

There is another man with two Hungarian Vizlas - one of the dogs is very possessive of the other one and woe betide any dog that tries to come over and say hello, because the jealous dog goes BESERK. Does the owner put this dog on a lead? No!!

But the owner of the American Staffs always enters the park with his two dogs on leads and harnesses and then lets them off when he's checked that they have a bit of space and other dogs around are friendly.

So I guess now I tend to watch for the owner's behaviour and manner as well as that of the dog!
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
It's very unfortunate that some breeds get demonised unfairly.

I only get nervous if I think a dog's behaviour is tense or hostile, and at our park, there is no 'typical' breed problem.

For instance there is a man with two GORGEOUS American Staffs that I love; they are well behaved but lively and I always enjoy meeting them.

There is another man with two Hungarian Vizlas - one of the dogs is very possessive of the other one and woe betide any dog that tries to come over and say hello, because the jealous dog goes BESERK. Does the owner put this dog on a lead? No!!

But the owner of the American Staffs always enters the park with his two dogs on leads and harnesses and then lets them off when he's checked that they have a bit of space and other dogs around are friendly.

So I guess now I tend to watch for the owner's behaviour and manner as well as that of the dog!
When i take my dogs to the field they are kept on leads until i have a full view of the field. if there are other dogs that i know i will let the boys off their leads. however, if there are dogs i dont know or dogs that are kept on a lead i always keep my boys on a lead. i only allow them to play with dogs i know are okay.
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Buster being such a big boy I'm afraid you are going to get a nervous reaction from people who don't know him especially if they are non-dog owners.They just see a big dog who has the potential to do a lot of harm.You know him to be a big softie but there's the difference they don't know him.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 03:25 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I have a yellow Labrador - and we've had people cross the road and avoid us in the park just because he is big!

The irony is that my dog is a total softie who wouldn't hurt a fly and who gets chased by far smaller dogs
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2011, 09:24 PM
I think it is human nature to be weary of something which you know could do you some serious damage or possibly kill you, but I tend to go with the point that if the dog is off lead it is typically under control and sociable.
I have said elsewhere that my Cookie isn't fantastic with big dogs, so if we see a big dog I tend to stick him on him lead. I feel this is the safest thing to do, but not for Cookie's benefit, but the other dogs. I always ponder if people wonder if I think their dog will be nasty. I try and explain if they are close enough...
I see a woman quite often who has a mastiff, an older yellow lab and a large x. After seeing them a few times Cookie is quite chilled out, and I've got to say the best behaved is the mastiff. She is lovely, to the point my Mother who is scared of strange dogs went to stroke her the first time she was with us!
We have a few little dogs which owners let off the lead and just yap, growl and nip every other dog in sight! I think this behaviour is horrific, and always have quite an annoyed word with the owners while poor Cookie is running away. They all seem to find it funny and say 'He's only little he's not hurting anyone!' I think I'll invest in some pet corrector spay....
Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2011, 09:47 PM
I have two long legged SBTs at the moment and I always get told they should be on a lead and I've many times ended up having a shouting match with someone over what they've said. I am protective buy both dogs haven't done anything wrong and I always put them on a lead if an on lead dog is approaching and I'll call them to me with dogs that are offlead until I know it's okay for them to play. I've had one woman who had three offlead Yorkshire terriers that were yapping and snapping at my dogs who were just trying to get past and she had the cheek to tell me to put 'those things' on a lead. Well let's just say she didn't like my choice of words for the dogs she owned! (I won't say what as it wasn't nice even though I do like yorkies).
Milo has been attacked by a cocker spaniel, a jack russel, two labradors and a border collie and two mow offlead border collies have had a go at him so I had to stand in front and tell the owner to get his dogs away from mine.

Also had another Labrador come charging over trying to have a go and a terrier mix breed that came over snarling and I have to say as it lunged at milo and lexi I kicked it and I'd do it again to protect my dogs and I told the owners the same thing.

I hate the fact because of the breed of dog I own people think it's okay to let their offlead dogs charge over and then are shocked when I protect my dogs because they won't protect themselves mine are always under control!

However I'll always give a dog the benefit of the doubt and will happily let them play with any breed of dog as long as theirs is friendly as I know if milo or lexi ever did fight back it would be my fault

Sorry for the long post!! Had it today with the two border collies charging over so quite annoyed with it at the moment.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >