View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 05:48 AM
Poor Dougal...... hope the condition eases soon, Lorraine.

Big hugs for D

Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 10:06 AM
We are on top of Duncan's allergies at the moment - shower in head and shoulders shamoo twice a week, malaseb shower once a fortnight, paws, tummy and thighs washed washed everytime he comes in from outside.

Keep him on a lead and off grass as much as possible and steroid tablet every other day.

No washing powder or fabric conditioner used on any of his bedding (or ours as he likes to sleep on the bed at night).

So I know how hard this is to manage, we found socks made it worse for Duncan as his feet got too hot and it made him itchier. Cold water to dunk his feet in works better so they are cool.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Henry is allergic to grass, he had a serum made up for him which helped him no end, he hasn't chewed his feet since he had the jabs.

It is expensive and involves blood tests and then the immunotherapy serum being shipped in from abroad, Henry was covered by his insurance so it may be worth looking into that.

Henry is allergic to some grasses and hazel, but the vet said it wouldn't be any worse than someone who suffers from hayfever, it's just one of those things but we can help them with these tests as they can pinpoint the exact allergy and make up the serum accordingly
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Henry is allergic to grass, he had a serum made up for him which helped him no end, he hasn't chewed his feet since he had the jabs.

It is expensive and involves blood tests and then the immunotherapy serum being shipped in from abroad, Henry was covered by his insurance so it may be worth looking into that.

Henry is allergic to some grasses and hazel, but the vet said it wouldn't be any worse than someone who suffers from hayfever, it's just one of those things but we can help them with these tests as they can pinpoint the exact allergy and make up the serum accordingly
Interesting that this has worked as our vet suggested this for Willow if it got too bad. How many jabs did he have?
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by EGYPTGAL View Post
Interesting that this has worked as our vet suggested this for Willow if it got too bad. How many jabs did he have?
He had 6 in total spaced out every two weeks then three weeks and then 4 weeks, we still have some serum left but as he had such good results we've stopped for the time being in the hope that his system has now got used to the allergens
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the info, will keep it in mind.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Oh I do sympathise........anything to do with paws is such a pig isn't it, and I expect that like me you watch with envy as other people merrily walk their dogs over all terrain with no problems.

I expect that you are already doing all sorts of things to try to ease the irritation, but although my Jimmi does not have a grass allergy as such he DOES have very sensitive paws and the following regime definitely helps.

After every walk his feet are dunked for several minutes in either salt solution or hibiscrub (usually alternative days), making sure that every bit of dirt is removed from between the toes and the pads. If there is a flare up and he starts really going at his feet, then he has foot dunks three times a day plus piriton tablets. This works more often than not and things calm down, but if they don't and he makes himself sore then a course of ABs usually sorts it out.

We did buy some boots for him, but to be honest even though they were lightweight and fitted with velcro, most of the time they skewed round or fell off. In the end we abandoned them
The salt water seems to be helping him now, he's not been at his paws as much and is even getting to the stage where he's looking forward to getting his paws washed cause I give him a biccie when we finish.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I really hope it will start to ease off for him.
TeamSpaniel
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-03-2011, 07:16 AM
Bark n boots!!!!!!

May help!!!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2