Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 10:56 AM

Unhappy Doggy

Poor Dougal, you know he is allergic to grass. Well despite Piriton and washing of paws he still nibbles at them and they are getting bare.. So I put socks on his back paws (they are the worst) and he is very unhappy with me now.

He's off to his bed and sulking. Won't speak to me.

Oh and he detests with a passion anyone going near his front paws for some reason, won't let me touch them...so going to try to get Brian to do them later for me. He loves his Dad and may let Brian put socks on his front paws later.
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 11:18 AM
poor dougal, hope he is feeling better soon xx
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Awww poor Dougal...that must be a really difficult allergy to manage
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by tokiayla View Post
Awww poor Dougal...that must be a really difficult allergy to manage
It is, it's not been so bad during the winter, it was just a case of stopping him chewing at his feet, but now it's really bugging him so socks on methinks.

He keeps highstepping with his hind feet which is amusing to watch...but glaring at me too.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Poor Dougal, that must be really hard for you both.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Oh dear poor thing I can sympathise with you as Willow is the same grass some plants, weeds ,trees and dust mites it does feel like a constant battle to keep them comfy:
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 01:46 PM
Poor Dougal, hope he feels better soon! Are the socks to stop his feet being irritated or to stop him chewing them? If it's the latter have you tried the inflatable collars you can get? I got one when Rupert had to have a nail cut right back after splitting it and it seemed to work quite well without bothering him the way a cone collar or socks did.

This is the one I got (if the link gets removed it's a Comfy Collar)
http://www.comfycollars.co.uk/
*Lorraine*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-03-2011, 02:17 PM
I'm going through the same with my girl & her allergies.
I was managing well up to last week & now she's all itchy
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Poor Dougal, hope he feels better soon! Are the socks to stop his feet being irritated or to stop him chewing them? If it's the latter have you tried the inflatable collars you can get? I got one when Rupert had to have a nail cut right back after splitting it and it seemed to work quite well without bothering him the way a cone collar or socks did.

This is the one I got (if the link gets removed it's a Comfy Collar)
http://www.comfycollars.co.uk/
It's to stop him chewing at them, he didn't seem to be getting any rashes (he was getting them last year) over the winter but was always nibbling. So today put the socks on...they didn't stay on for long though...he has em off now.

On the plus side he hasn't tried to chew at them since.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Oh I do sympathise........anything to do with paws is such a pig isn't it, and I expect that like me you watch with envy as other people merrily walk their dogs over all terrain with no problems.

I expect that you are already doing all sorts of things to try to ease the irritation, but although my Jimmi does not have a grass allergy as such he DOES have very sensitive paws and the following regime definitely helps.

After every walk his feet are dunked for several minutes in either salt solution or hibiscrub (usually alternative days), making sure that every bit of dirt is removed from between the toes and the pads. If there is a flare up and he starts really going at his feet, then he has foot dunks three times a day plus piriton tablets. This works more often than not and things calm down, but if they don't and he makes himself sore then a course of ABs usually sorts it out.

We did buy some boots for him, but to be honest even though they were lightweight and fitted with velcro, most of the time they skewed round or fell off. In the end we abandoned them
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >