28-03-2011, 04:39 PM
why do you want to know?

i would say one of my breeds is.. talk about chalk and cheese
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by Dooley View Post
my mastiffs have never been great guard dogs , they are more likely to trip someone over never been in a situation where i`ve felt threatened , so have no idea how they would react probably run the other way the pair of wally`s.

ROFLMAO That would make them very effective then
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Why a GSD they are NOT a guarding breed they are a shepherding breed, same goes for the other Shepherding breeds, the clue is in the name of the breed-Belgian/Dutch/German Shepherd Dogs, Rhodesian Ridgebacks are hounds-again not a guarding breed.

The guarding breeds for property/people are the Mastiffs, Dobermanns, Rottweilers, Boxers etc Stock guards are the "Flock guards"like the Anatolians, Kuvasz, Pyrenean Mountain Dogs, Komondors, Caucasian Mountain Dogs, Kavkazskaya Ovcharka etc

Yes, thank you, I was aware that the 's' in GSD does stand for Shepherd

I may not have given a totally accurate answer as, granted, I was basing it on people I know whom have 'guard dogs'. They have - rightly or wrongly - always used GSDs.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 04:58 PM
Well GSDs may not be classed as Guard type dogs but my two are certainly a good deterrent to anyone who is about during the night time. They are very vocal and certainly look the part if they take a fancy to a bit of attitude.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

28-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Why a GSD they are NOT a guarding breed they are a shepherding breed, same goes for the other Shepherding breeds, the clue is in the name of the breed-Belgian/Dutch/German Shepherd Dogs, Rhodesian Ridgebacks are hounds-again not a guarding breed.

The guarding breeds for property/people are the Mastiffs, Dobermanns, Rottweilers, Boxers etc Stock guards are the "Flock guards"like the Anatolians, Kuvasz, Pyrenean Mountain Dogs, Komondors, Caucasian Mountain Dogs, Kavkazskaya Ovcharka etc
In fairness, from what I know GSDs were expected to be all-purpose shepherd dogs, including livestock protection/guarding. I would also say they are a dominant and territorial breed, along with being wary of strangers - 3 things that some might say make them an ideal watch dog.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 05:18 PM
behind a 6ft fence no one knows my three are softies they just hear the bark lol
ATD x
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
behind a 6ft fence no one knows my three are softies they just hear the bark lol
ATD x
ahhh..with Tupac u hear a very low rumble tis a tad unnerving lol
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
ahhh..with Tupac u hear a very low rumble tis a tad unnerving lol
haha mine make a hell of a racket people have commented that they thought they were a lot bigger dogs lol
ATD x
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 05:25 PM
Akitas. For territory. And they don't need any training for this.

Akitas rarely bark, unless there's good reason. And when they do, it's loud .

Why do you ask?

An Akita wouldn't fare well tied to a chain outside
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Any dog that makes a lot of noise, particularly a very low bark indicating a very large dog:

I had a lab once who was very docile but if a stranger tried to get in through the wrought iron side gate to the house during the day (while we were at home) she was totally different and nobody ever tried. Even the local bobby said she was the best deterrent.

When I was a child we had a GSD - very well trained by my Dad, and really soft with me, my two sisters and my brother who used to curl up with him on his bed and go to sleep. However he pinned the postman against the wall and also the milkman when they had the audacity to come round the back of the house so they refused to deliver He didn't hurt them, just kept them there until my Dad said it was ok.
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »