Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2013, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Tang, please PLEASE listen to your son, every version of Windows that has come out has been plagued with problems, I really don't know how they get away with it, furthermore there are no features in the newer versions which are in any way better.

Yahoo has just changed it's e-mail page layout and it's total c**p and I'm going to have to get a new e-mail account.

What Yahoo have done is add stupid comments e.g. when you have cleared all your e-mails from let's say the SPAM folder you get a stupid comment come up saying "It sure is looking tidier in here" who the hell are they to be talking to me like that

And they now insert the word "Me" before (or maybe after) the senders name, I think it's some morons attempt to say if it's incoming or whatever, but if it's in the INBOX then it MUST be incoming mustn't it.

So now because of these idiots I have to change my e-mail address grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Aaaahhhhh this did make me laugh! I have only just found my new Yahoo mail layout and thought exactly the same Harvey.

Originally Posted by Meg View Post
...Pat I tried backlighting when I used my sons laptop and didn't like it , I guess it is my eyesight.
I don't think my eyes would cope with it either
Mine is a Lenovo too, which is IBM. a good machine.
I can cope with win8 but it doesn't mean I like it, I 'm old and don't like change Lol lol
janitor
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-10-2013, 09:45 AM
Have had 8.1 for a week or so, but was running the beta before that and haven't really noticed the difference, but only use windows for an hour or may be two a week, as I use Mac OS most of the time , much less agro.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2013, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Aaaahhhhh this did make me laugh! I have only just found my new Yahoo mail layout and thought exactly the same Harvey.

I don't think my eyes would cope with it either
Mine is a Lenovo too, which is IBM. a good machine.
I can cope with win8 but it doesn't mean I like it, I 'm old and don't like change Lol lol
Well my daughter's had a Lenovo lappy for a couple of years now and I liked her keyboard (Mine go 'bare' quickly too - all the 'middle area ones' and keyboard is usually a replacement job after a year or so as I use it so much.

I specifically wanted a lightweight, long battery life, backlit but whizzy 13 inch job this time and the Lenovo Ideapad fitted the bill - and I knew someone (Jen's housemate) who works in IT and has one and is happy with it. Cost was around the 600 - 700 mark. So not much different to what was paid for this bus. class VAIO 3yrs ago.

I like it so much I am childishly loathe to use it for working on lol! But then we are scrapping the old software I use for my job so I don't even want to get it loaded on the new one - will just continue to use the VAIO for working for now.

As regards getting used to stuff - I've NEVER used the mousepads - always disable them and use a wireless mouse. But haven't used the mouse at all with the Ideapad - and ain't ever going to plug it into it either. Surprised myself how quickly I got used to the touchpad. But I'd tried it before on VAIO and ACER and couldn't get comfy with it - my thumb pads would have the pointer whizzing all over the place and me not noticing as I don't look when I type.

Doesn't seem to happen on the Lenovo. (Desperately trying to think of summat else to say on this subject so I don't start working yet lol!) however as I've now had my lunch as well as my breakfast before starting I think I should log off Dogsey!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-10-2013, 10:45 AM
Read a few reviews on 8+1 and don't think I will bother..
These are the added features according to 'Cnet'

.You can boot directly into Desktop mode instead of the tile-based app user interface,
The long-lost Start button is back,
You can snap more apps side-by-side for better multitasking
There's also better cross-system search, along with search that ties into cloud-based SkyDrive storage
I will wait until microsoft get the message we don't all want to use a touch screen or have a lot of little tile picture to move around of things we will never use and that we prefer something a little more conservative .
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2013, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Read a few reviews on 8+1 and don't think I will bother..
These are the added features according to 'Cnet'

I will wait until microsoft get the message we don't all want to use a touch screen or have a lot of little tile picture to move around of things we will never use and that we prefer something a little more conservative .
Conservative? Not me! Perish the thought! I will just 'wait it out a bit' for the 8.1 upgrade until I get the green light. But I will eventually click that 'tile'
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 11:51 AM
I updated from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 and my new Sony computer didn't like it at all, it wouldn't let me back up my hard drive and had to restore to factory settings, which meant I lost everything I had on my hard drive. I've reverted back to Windows 8 and will not be doing the update until they iron out the creases.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by crazycockers View Post
I updated from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 and my new Sony computer didn't like it at all, it wouldn't let me back up my hard drive and had to restore to factory settings, which meant I lost everything I had on my hard drive. I've reverted back to Windows 8 and will not be doing the update until they iron out the creases.
Thanks for the update crazy. I will still wait for genius no.1 son to give me the go ahead.

Thing is, I'm not sure how much of a difference to 'how it operates' it will make with the upgrade (when it works OK) so am loathe to get too 'used to 8' before I do the upgrade - just seems pointless. And nowt wrong with my VAIO on Win7 at the mo and still having to use that to work on anyway so no hurry. Once we get a bit of 'winter' here I will be scratching about looking for stuff to do in the evenings so plenty of time yet.

Just that I wanted a smaller lightweight good lappy and set my mind on the Lenovo Ideapad so son bought it for me while I was still in the UK last month. I told him it could wait until Xmas but he was insistent as it was for my birthday last month.

Am now thinking what I'd like for xmas is a Yamaha full piano keyboard! lol! No blerdy upgrades with that I should hope!

PS I just googled 'problems with Win 8.1 upgrade and got 'About 147,000,000 results' lol!

PPS - having read a few of them I think I'll just take it back to UK with me at Xmas and let no.1 son do the upgrade!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-11-2013, 09:49 AM
I thought the update had been pulled by Microsoft.

Microsoft pulls Windows update

Microsoft has been forced to pull its latest Windows software update from the official store after customers claimed it caused their devices to freeze.
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2013, 05:38 PM
I misread the title as 'wine & the 8:10 update' - thought this was going to be one of those posts that started ...I've been on the wine and downloaded and update and it's all gone wrong and I'm too drunk to know what to do!' - ie the kind of post I'd make

Laptop looks fab!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by Cath View Post
I misread the title as 'wine & the 8:10 update' - thought this was going to be one of those posts that started ...I've been on the wine and downloaded and update and it's all gone wrong and I'm too drunk to know what to do!' - ie the kind of post I'd make

Laptop looks fab!

Oh Lordy you DID make me laugh Cath! Laughter is good medicine and I need some right now with my bad arm!

Wine and the 8.1 update LOL!
Page 6 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »