View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-10-2013, 08:42 AM
I've had no problems with it, I got mine just after having a stroke and have found it a total doddle, didn't even read the quick start guide. I dunno what the fuss is all about.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

22-10-2013, 08:46 AM
According to my computer guru the 8.1 "update" has been causing so many problems that a "repair patch" has had to be issued. I do not know about this as I am using Windows 7 Ultimate and have no intention of changing until I am absolutely forced to do so.

Windows 8 itself has not been well received by the majority of those who have purchased new laptops with it already installed, so Effie's advice is to those people to get Windows 7 installed instead of W8 - because neither W8 or W8.1 are, in his opinion, sufficiently tested as to be working properly.

He is a registered Microsoft engineer and trainer, and of necessity has to run W8 on at least one of his PCs and laptops. His recommendation to me is to keep W7 on my PC until it is no longer supported by Microsoft - as his opinion is that by then Microsoft should have come out with Windows 10 [or whatever they will call it] having learned the faults of W8 and having sorted them.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Dave's new lappy had Windows 8 and he just couldn't cope with it. His mate who came over last week-end works for Vodafone in their very high tech computer department and he gave Dave instructions on how to change it over to Windows 7, BUT, he still has the W8 minimised.

I think people who use all the latest phones (stuck to their ears!) get on with it better than people who use computers more cos it's kind of phone based isn't it, well, according to Dave it was, but I never went near it, I'm sticking with my 7 thanks.

This computer techie friend of his said everybody is doing away with the 8 just like he's told Dave how to. He's still kept it all written down if you want me to put it up as to how to go about it? He never mentioned the 8.1 when he was here, but if it's not out yet, then maybe that's going to be your best option? If it's already out, then he certainly didn't recommend Dave to change to the 8.1, so I assume he thinks that's pants too!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

22-10-2013, 01:33 PM
I have just received a brief email from a friend who has recently bought a very expensive laptop which has Windows 8.

She can only send emails with a brief message as the subject and is unable to actually write messages to be sent, as she is unable to understand anything else, in spite of the fact that the person who sold her the new laptop telling it was so easy. [She had previously been used to XP].

Me? I am staying with Windows 7 Ultimate until it is no longer supported by Microsoft.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

22-10-2013, 02:18 PM
I really don't understand what is so difficult, for me sending emails is exactly the same as it's always been. The only difference I have found is the start up screen but I use that fleetingly, everything else is simple. Maybe I've set mine up differently to everyone else.
Meg
Supervisor

22-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I really don't understand what is so difficult, for me sending emails is exactly the same as it's always been. The only difference I have found is the start up screen but I use that fleetingly, everything else is simple. Maybe I've set mine up differently to everyone else.
I found the same Shirley the only big difference I noticed is logging on and off ( I have to put my password in each time I log on ) and having to go an extra step using the 'tile page' to access desktop.
Everything else seems pretty much the same as W7.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

22-10-2013, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
I found the same Shirley the only big difference I noticed is logging on and off ( I have to put my password in each time I log on ) and having to go an extra step using the 'tile page' to access desktop.
I must admit having to constantly put my password in is annoying and the tile screen is an extra step but that's about it, everything else is pretty much the same as ever. I think the initial look is perhaps disconcerting people. Glad it's not just me Meg
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
And start up page appearing everytime your curser nears the top left hand corner??? Urggghhhh drives me nuts!
I do not have to put my password in each time and I don't have to use the tile page to access the desk top.
I suspect we all have our PCs set up differently!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

22-10-2013, 05:09 PM
My start up screen only appears on start up.
Meg
Supervisor

22-10-2013, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
My start up screen only appears on start up.
Mine too, the tower and mountain thingy, then the log in page and I have to sign in with a password.
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »