View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Little update I decided what the hell and clicked that 'upgrade to 8.1' tile last week! Took forever it seemed and immediately got dire warnings about the Free Trial MacAfee expired. I didn't see any option not to 'purchase continuation' and certainly don't want MacAfee - all options to activate Windows Defender and their Firewall were greyed out. So I switched it off again!

My son came on remotely last night - ditched MacAfee and for now has put AVG on. (I've always used the paid for version of Avast) but oh boy you should have heard HIM moaning about Win8.1 it made me laugh considering all what he's said about me should have just got on with it!

So now it's new flat, new laptop. But I am still using this VAIO to work on as it's got the licenced software installed on it for my content editor etc. And my guvs and software bods have said we are ditching it (and it's a piece of sh*t anyway) so I didn't want to have it installed on the new Lenovo if we aren't going to need it. But it's now about 6 months since they said we'd be ditching it in about 4 weeks.

So I will stick with the VAIO for now for working and ask them what the hell they ARE doing about the other rubbish.

Switching from one to the other definitely did not help me just 'get on' with the new layout. Daft really because it's only a sort of lookalike to the tablet and phone.

Right now my priority is to make my Android Phone a wifi hotspot - so I've got good internet at the new place while I decide what to do about that more permanently.

I've got 3 options - but haven't had time to read through them yet! So I'm waiting for my more techie pal to get here on 2nd April and hear what he has to say. I was just going to go with an €80 a month MTN dongle as a short term fix.

Taking my tablet over there today to see what this 'built in' wifi for the whole complex is like - see if I can hook up to it. Won't be any good for me working I know that but just interested to see what it is good for!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2014, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I've never understood what all the fuss is about, my lappy came with 8 I just turned it on and started using it. I've never had any issues with it and really it's not so different to 7. It's only 1 screen that's different anyway. I quite like it myself and think some people just don't like change. It is what it is and no doubt when I get another new laptop that will have a different system too and I'll learn that one too.
Well lots of people are making that "fuss". I personally don't mind change and was VERY HAPPY when I "changed" my Vista to a Windows 7. Can't say I like this change though.. hate it actually and hate is a strong word.

The system might run smoothly for you, but it DOES NOT run that way for everybody, which should be obvious by now. If you are a Windows user... you are used to lots of change when it comes to OS.

The interface isn't the only thing that is different, if it was.. I'd not be complaining at all honestly.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-03-2014, 10:25 AM
I routinely switch between windows 8, 7 and an apple mac I honestly can't say one is any more difficult than any other. Maybe lots of people do dislike it, so what it doesn't mean I have to. As for hating it well, hates not an emotion I feel very often tbh and certainly wouldn't involve an OS.
Meg
Supervisor

17-03-2014, 10:45 AM
I am having no problems at all with W8, I still haven't taken the upgrade to 8.1, 'better the devil you know'
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2014, 10:55 AM
I routinely switch between windows 8, 7 and an apple mac I honestly can't say one is any more difficult than any other. Maybe lots of people do dislike it, so what it doesn't mean I have to. As for hating it well, hates not an emotion I feel very often tbh and certainly wouldn't involve an OS.
Oh, well. Microsoft is listening to it's customers complaining to high noon and are trying to do something about it. This is good IMO even though I won't be buying this new system for quite some time.

I am with the band of people who (if you don't wish to say hate) "immensely dislike" the Windows 8 and 8.1 OS. Needless to say, some people enjoy the system and have no problems with it at all.

Also, I'd rather hate an OS or something that is an object than a person etc. Hating people is... well it's not good. Since that is running along off topic, I think I shall leave it at that.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

17-03-2014, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
I am having no problems at all with W8, I still haven't taken the upgrade to 8.1, 'better the devil you know'
My sentiments exactly.
janitor
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-03-2014, 12:52 PM
Haven't used windows as my main operating system for over 5 years, I run it as a virtual machine on my mac, because as far as I can see there is no better personal finance manager, on any OS that's better then Microsoft money, if windows ever gets out of the beta stage, I would think about switching back, but at the moment I value my sanity to much to use it on a daily basis.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2014, 05:33 PM
I touch type at about 100wpm and if I am typing code etc. it is important for me to be VERY familiar with my keyboard! That's why it is not a good idea for me to be switching back and forth between even different keyboards let alone anything else.

Anyway mine's all sorted now. And I will suck it up and get on with it same as I have always done. I now wish I hadn't read all the bad press it got. Just made me reticent to do the upgrade by clicking the button.

Worst problem so far was it coming with MacAfee - I don't want that rubbish on my laptop.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2014, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
I touch type at about 100wpm and if I am typing code etc. it is important for me to be VERY familiar with my keyboard! That's why it is not a good idea for me to be switching back and forth between even different keyboards let alone anything else.

Anyway mine's all sorted now. And I will suck it up and get on with it same as I have always done. I now wish I hadn't read all the bad press it got. Just made me reticent to do the upgrade by clicking the button.

Worst problem so far was it coming with MacAfee - I don't want that rubbish on my laptop.
Mine came with Norton. Holy moly... you think McAfee is rubbish? No... NORTON is rubbish. CPU hog and worthless through and through. Switched to Avast! Free and Malwarebytes paid.
Page 11 of 11 « First < 8 9 10 11