Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2013, 06:52 PM

BT superfast broadband

Well, the men have finished installing all the new boxes around Ledbury (one is on the grass right outside our garden wall) and I had the expected phone call today.

I found myself rather liking the sound of the package, and have agreed to it in principal, although of course I can cancel over the next couple of weeks.

The thing is, when reading the small print on the confirmation email, I noticed that if the computer is not directly connected to the master phone inlet then it will no longer work on an extension. Well, my computer is in the study on an extension and the master phone plug thingy is in the hall. There is no way that a cable can be run from one to tother without crossing a passageway and it clearly states that they do not run cables under carpets or flooring.

The second thing I noticed is that the speed is always higher via cable rather than wifi...........I don't use the wifi option, only the cable, as my laptop never moves from the study. So given that I would need to give up the cable option and switch to wifi if I want to stay in the study, which I do, then is there really any point in paying more for something that might not be massively better?

I don't download films or music either, so probably don't need the extra wotsits.

I am really not sure now that it is worth the trouble. Anyone any advice?
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2013, 06:54 PM
SALLY,is it BT infinity?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Yes it is Eileen
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2013, 07:07 PM
O.k I read on the daily it is infinity.Don't understand all that cable stuff Mine is connected to master socket in the hall.We have two lap tops and an iPad running off it( wifi) no cables connected to any of them.Can be on the Internet in the garden even Very fast and highly recommended
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Okay, thank you for that Eileen. I am probably being an old stick in the mud fuddy duddy It's just that I still remember wifi as being so dreadfully unreliable, which is why I never bothered to switch to that option with BT.

Good to hear a recommendation.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2013, 07:13 PM
The second thing I noticed is that the speed is always higher via cable rather than wifi...........
that's normal.

I've been on wifi for years before I moved here and on it all the time I've been here.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Thank you Tang - I really must drag myself into the 21st century
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2013, 07:22 PM
So much more freedom SALLY,super fast and extremely reliable,never had a problem.Can only vouch for BT but I'm sure there are equally as good service providers out there Trust me you'll never to go back to cables
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
O.k I read on the daily it is infinity.Don't understand all that cable stuff Mine is connected to master socket in the hall.We have two lap tops and an iPad running off it( wifi) no cables connected to any of them.Can be on the Internet in the garden even Very fast and highly recommended
Recommendations from here too. I have never had a moments trouble.
Speak to BTs customer services I have always found them very helpful and if you don't need extra wotsits they will tailor the package to suit you. Thats what they did for me anyway.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Thank you Nippy - it seems that everyone is pleased with BT Infinity then.

I will go with it, and will keep the engineer prisoner when he comes in a couple of weeks, until he has totally sorted me out
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >