Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-08-2013, 10:35 AM

Wanting a new camera

Nothing special but my Canon Powershot is shot - I mean there is no click when the shutter goes to tell me a photograph has been taken so I have to keep clicking and hoping that a photo has been taken, and it asks to have the batteries changed after about a dozen photos, if that.

I do not want anything special, just a basic point and shoot, but all I have seen so far have no viewfinder and I am told that new cameras do not have, or need, a viewfinder as you can see what you are taking from the screen. Only I have problems with that so prefer to use the viewfinder.

Question. Is there any reasonably priced point and shoot camera around which has a viewfinder?
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2013, 02:35 PM
I know what you mean Malka. I've recently bought a Bridge camera for that reason. Trouble is its heavier than a compact to carry around.
The Fuji bridge cameras are good ones & much cheaper than most other makes. Have a look at this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-Fin...d_sim_sbs_ce_2
Or I've found this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Powers.../dp/B004I1KWKU
But the zoom isn't brilliant - depends how far you want to take photos of though really. If its just of Pereg & round your area it should be enough.
pamela81
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-08-2013, 02:39 PM
have you thought about looking at dslr's? mine has view finder and screen. I much prefer using the view finder on this 1. I do have a nikon s6600 (think thats the right numbers) and its screen only which i do like aswell but my DSLR is far better. You can pick 1 up relatively cheap depending on how much you want to spend.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2013, 02:40 PM
I prefer a view finder too but none of the modern cameras have them.
Can I just say I defected from my lovely Sony for a Canon Power Shot. Worse thing I have ever done.
The Canon is so slow and unresponsive and I don't think the picture quality is a patch on Sony.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

02-08-2013, 03:11 PM
I just want an easy point and shoot camera and was very happy with my Canon Powershot - but it decided to misbehave and did not shoot when I shot. Or rather I had no idea if it did as it did not do clicky clicky when taking photos. When it did take photos they were brilliant though.

I do not wand a fancy "gotta havva university degree" to use a camera, and I do not want to have to pay a fortune. I cannot buy one from Amazon as they will not send here, so it has to be a camera I can buy here.

At the moment I am debating whether to get another Canon or to get a Samsung, but have seen plus and minus reviews on both. I have not yet seen a Sony here but I am still looking.

Why they do not have viewfinders I do not know. It is so much easier to use one than take the chance that the screen thingy will show what you want.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Funny you should say that Malka - I too want a NEW CAMERA!
My Sony Cybershot is not very whizzy at all

I especially want one when I see some of the excellent photos put on here (but I suspect a bit of photographer know how comes into it too)

I also want ...
*A new, smaller but still powerful laptop.
*A steam mop.
*A robot hoover (blame this forum for that too)
*A hot tub
*New aircon in car
*A facelift lol!
*A regular luxury massage/pedicure/waddever pamper stuff

And, if I actually get around to spending most of my money on myself instead of my understudy and all sorts - I might even manage to get some of them!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2013, 03:22 PM
On a more serious note ....

One of the reasons I don't like the sony is it doesn't have a viewfinder to peep through so photos are taken blind nearly all the time in the blinding light here. My old Canons had viewfinders. Ditto problem with mobile phone camera - all photos are surprises when I get back home - can't see a blerdy thing when taking them.

The only plus about the cybershot is it fits in even your smallest pocket.

The downside to having a 'good' camera here is I would be afraid to take it out with me most of the time. With all the sand, dust and salt water everywhere I go and with melting bottles of drink in my bag and what have you.

I used to leave my Canon at home if I went to the beach or rambling. Which is why I opted for a bog standard Sony Cybershot but to be honest, havent' used the camera since I had a half decent cam on my phone. The Wedding was the only time I used it since getting the Android phone.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

02-08-2013, 03:23 PM
What if I say I just want a boob reduction and a tummy tuck?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

02-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Pat - I do not know how to take photos on my mobile, but it is only a basic LG mobile not a clever one like wot you 'ave.

Hokay, so you have seen the piccie I posted this morning of Da Booga. Here is another one

See? When my current Canon works it really does take decent piccies.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Canons are the best cams I've ever owned. Even the older ones.

My eldest son says he is going to give me his Canon when he buys himself a new one.

It's really a waste of money me having an expensive one. sony is absolutely USELESS at night time pictures. Rubbish - and it's a known issue with it.

But then I am the opposite of count Dracula and hardly ever go out at night!

I do like to SEE what I'm photographing though.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >